Rumour AFL expansion

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
This is what you said

You don't know the amount of merchandise the club makes so how can you say you want less of it. Just because you and maybe a hundred others have the same view doesn't mean the club is making too much of it. If the club is making 50,000 scarves, beanies, etc and they survey 3000 people that say it's a waste but we have 50,000 members then what do we do. Without the knowledge of how much merch the club is actually producing I don't know how you can be so certain.

I think membership revenue is probably a better way to judge it. But yeah. Having more categories of membership doesn't mean membership numbers increase.
You do realise they can get elections close to right by surveying 3000 people. Out of 16 million voters. Pretty Sure 500 for 45k members would get it close to right. And have more categories does mean memberships increase because every year we get record memberships but not record crowds. I’m pretty sure that means people are buying the cheapest membership just to help the club

I suspect that the future of our game will eventually result in a two or more tiered competition initially each of at least 12 teams similar to English soccer leagues with promotion and relegation and parallel competition like the FA cup. The local competitions will probably feed into the second tier and as teams develop and improve, they can win through and be promoted into the top division.

I don't think we have enough of a few essential resources (first class players, coaching staff, markets etc) - especially as we bring AFLW competition into parity with the mens. The costs may become prohibitive talent spotting, recruiting, developing, and transporting players interstate for second division matches. And how would we structure the draft? Trade cost inflation will probably result in an advantage to the wealthy clubs (but when hasn't that been a thing?).

You do realise they can get elections close to right by surveying 3000 people. Out of 16 million voters. Pretty Sure 500 for 45k members would get it close to right. And have more categories does mean memberships increase because every year we get record memberships but not record crowds. I’m pretty sure that means people are buying the cheapest membership just to help the club
Why does more categories mean more memberships if the rule is anything $50 or above.

Back