AFL Finals Week 1 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Match very similar to our final v Geelong last year, pies kicked away early and then the game stagnated, with Geelong pegging things back but never felt like a close match.

Poor game for neutrals. But one thing is tonight is making me miss finals so much, last year was so exciting for a Melbourne supporter.

Match very similar to our final v Geelong last year, pies kicked away early and then the game stagnated, with Geelong pegging things back but never felt like a close match.

Poor game for neutrals. But one thing is tonight is making me miss finals so much, last year was so exciting for a Melbourne supporter.
If recent history is anything to go by we will either make the Granny next year or miss for 15 years

Does anyone think being a Geelong supporter is a bit like being a Melbourne supporter, they are just anchored to the upper end of the ladder versus the lower end.

Neither team will win a grand final for a long time, both are quite fragile, and are just going through the motions
Geelong just happens to be better than 16 teams, we are worse than 16 teams

Does anyone think being a Geelong supporter is a bit like being a Melbourne supporter, they are just anchored to the upper end of the ladder versus the lower end.

Neither team will win a grand final for a long time, both are quite fragile, and are just going through the motions
Geelong just happens to be better than 16 teams, we are worse than 16 teams
Whatever piss you're on s**t ya smoking share it around hombre. The only thing we have in common with the cats is we play the same sport

Whatever piss you're on s**t ya smoking share it around hombre. The only thing we have in common with the cats is we play the same sport

I give you a try if we ever meet up

This is like many of my calls - seems a bit far out at first but the board will come round after some further reflection

I would take essendons/geelongs problem of not being able to win in finals over ours. It's funny seeing Geelong suporters whingeing about another poor performance in a final. Try watching a team spend 10 years at the bottom go through two coaches (not including caretakers) then needing the AFLs help to get a new coach to get us out of a massive hole left by the 2nd coach. Then finally recover for another coach to take our team to the finals and then back to bottom the very next year.

Winning 3 grand finals in 5 years and then consistently make finals after that must be much worse.

I give you a try if we ever meet up

This is like many of my calls - seems a bit far out at first but the board will come round after some further reflection
You’ve won me around.

Ignore Topkent. He’s nursing a hangover and incapable of complex reflection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The decision to not play a genuine ruck against Grundy will go down as one of the most bizarre selections(or non-selections) in finals footy! Wtf was Scott thinking?? Clearly wasn't. Seems like a think Melbourne would do. Horrible game to watch. Hoping for a rematch of last year's GF.

You’ve won me around.

Ignore Topkent. He’s nursing a hangover and incapable of complex reflection
Yeah got pissed as and then managed to stumble across some weed and then green out on me mates couch. Bloody good night

The decision to not play a genuine ruck against Grundy will go down as one of the most bizarre selections(or non-selections) in finals footy! Wtf was Scott thinking?? Clearly wasn't. Seems like a think Melbourne would do. Horrible game to watch. Hoping for a rematch of last year's GF.
They dropped Stanley to try and negate Grundy around the ground, it didn't work, but that doesn't necessarily mean playing Stanley would have worked either.

Let's be honest, Jeremy Howe was a good player at Melbourne but he's gone to the next level since moving to Collingwood. He was magnificent last night, especially early on when the game was won.

The whole debate around finals at Kardinia Park annoys me. Geelong earned a home final did they? Yes they did, but only because of that s**t truck of a ground in the first place. I'm sure we'd be hard to beat (even this year) if we got to train all year round on and then play our home games at the similarly crap Casey Fields. But no poor Chris Scott having to play at the home of footy and 90k fans

They dropped Stanley to try and negate Grundy around the ground, it didn't work, but that doesn't necessarily mean playing Stanley would have worked either.

Reckon it was partially Grundy and also partly about the Pies greater speed around the ground. Not that Menegola's quick... actually, he may well be slower that Stanley. Was definitely a strange call to make so late, though. Pretty disruptive, or if we want to say that it was always planned to try to surprise the Pies, then pretty disrespectful to Stanley.

Tom Hawkins having a 'mare was a bigger factor. The side's main goal threat going hunting for barn doors was a killer. As bad as Geelong were, they had enough opportunities to stay in and ultimately win the game.

Tom Hawkins having a 'mare was a bigger factor. The side's main goal threat going hunting for barn doors was a killer. As bad as Geelong were, they had enough opportunities to stay in and ultimately win the game.
Yeah, sure was. Funny that last year, they were Hawkins or nothing, while this year they started the season with a much more even spread of goal kickers, aided by Rohan and Dahlhaus, but they've now just gone back to Hawkins or bust.

He'll have an even harder time of it next week against West Coast too.

This is a ripping game. Looked like GWS were going to take it away comfortably until the Dogs have stepped it up, it's absolutely anyone's game this.

You wouldn't be upset as the Lions and Tigers seeing how physical it is either, will be some sore lads.

The amount of niggle and line-treading on the Bont and Naughton is a bit frustrating to watch. They're getting gut-punched, pulled off the ball, dived into when on the ground, etc etc etc. If one of them belted someone in the second half, I wouldn't have an issue with it. If NicNat is allowed to throw someone into the fence because of a tug of the hair, then the Bont must have racked up a few free murders by now.

Tim Watson is also battling. Hunter has a bloke tackle him with his arm literally around his scone and Tim reckons "bit lucky to get a free kick there".

Also, haven't paid much attention to him before but Bailey Smith gets a fair bit of the pill and then gives it to a teammate in an absolutely shocking position very, very regularly. That type of thing is what's killing the Dogs at the moment. So many sloppy handballs and stitch ups taking place.

The amount of niggle and line-treading on the Bont and Naughton is a bit frustrating to watch. They're getting gut-punched, pulled off the ball, dived into when on the ground, etc etc etc. If one of them belted someone in the second half, I wouldn't have an issue with it. If NicNat is allowed to throw someone into the fence because of a tug of the hair, then the Bont must have racked up a few free murders by now.

Tim Watson is also battling. Hunter has a bloke tackle him with his arm literally around his scone and Tim reckons "bit lucky to get a free kick there".

Also, haven't paid much attention to him before but Bailey Smith gets a fair bit of the pill and then gives it to a teammate in an absolutely shocking position very, very regularly. That type of thing is what's killing the Dogs at the moment. So many sloppy handballs and stitch ups taking place.
Smith is having a shocker. One of the worst finals performances I've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back