Game Day AFL Finals Week 1 game’s discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back from the game - early in the 4th Brisbane were awarded a mark where they dropped the ball, the first call the whole game that went their way. The Richmond fans in the bay next to us rose in unison and I swear they all went like this:

KYcLfzH.gif

Were getting smashed by sheedys essendon in a final in 2000. Lloyd scored 100 for the season and fans invaded the field

While the bomber fans were cheering, tiges ‘fans’ surrounded their team and sledged them mercilessly

So much for equalisation of the comp, three out of the four games were blowouts. Whilst the one that wasn't a blowout had serious potential to be one.

Just got back from the game - early in the 4th Brisbane were awarded a mark where they dropped the ball, the first call the whole game that went their way. The Richmond fans in the bay next to us rose in unison and I swear they all went like this:

KYcLfzH.gif
This is exactly how bulldogs fans behave, they are so used to getting the rub of the green, they think it's normal, and get upset at any free kick going the other way. It's amazing how many throws get called during bulldogs games but strangely NONE from them.

To be honest, first week of finals has been lack luster.

Bombers should not have been in.
Doggies super poor.
Richmond to strong.
Chris Scott is a potato and will loose again next week. How he decided to drop his only ruckman against Brodie Grundy in a finals match

Hopefully next week is better

If you’re into rugby, and don’t fancy watching the Collingwood preliminary final, how’s this lineup for the first Saturday of the World Cup:

Pool D Australia v Fiji
Pool C France v Argentina
Pool B New Zealand v South Africa

Might have to make a reservation with the Turf Bar for that - oh wait, I just did. :D

-Some sort of a statement from West Coast. Slick ball movement, strong defense, should be favourites against the cats.

-GWS played a ruthlessly tough brand of footy to beat the dogs. They were bloodthirsty. I was really impressed with how they carried themselves and they're attack on the footy, I think they can beat Brisbane next week.

-Collingwood put in a solid victory to get over the cats. GWS v Collingwood preliminary would be great.

-Richmond dominant after quarter time. Very versatile group, who seem the be able to win in any conditions.

If you’re into rugby, and don’t fancy watching the Collingwood preliminary final, how’s this lineup for the first Saturday of the World Cup:

Pool D Australia v Fiji
Pool C France v Argentina
Pool B New Zealand v South Africa

Might have to make a reservation with the Turf Bar for that - oh wait, I just did. :D

I would rather bludgeon myself with a rancid fish for six hours than watch 3 games of rugby yawnion.

I don't recall the Kangaroos nearly winning the premiership that year but they certainly beat us in week 2.

Anyway worth having a look at Geelongs 4 finals matches that year

Got smashed in qf and pf. Absolutely smashed

But managed to comfortably beat hawthorn in the ef in the middle. Bwahhhhh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s trendy to write off the week 1 finals losers but I reckon West Coast and GWS are just better sides than Brisbane and Geelong. The latter two have been admirably consistent during the H&A season but they don’t have the same ceiling and A grade superstars as Giants/Eagles which comes out in finals. It’s a bit like us finishing top 4 last year.

It is fun to laugh at Chris Scott and he had a mare on Friday night with selection but I think he’s actually done really well to get that side to finish where it did. But come finals Geelong lack that top end talent to properly compete with Richmond, West Coast, Giants and Collingwood. Dangerfield obviously (and he was great on Friday ) but Kelly has dropped off as the season has progressed and Selwood and Ablett are no longer superstars.

I reckon both Cats and Lions go out in straight sets and the winner of the Richmond/Eagles prelim takes the flag (most likely Richmond who will be very hard to stop from here with MCG factor)

Last edited:
I know it’s trendy to write off the week 1 finals losers but I reckon West Coast and GWS are just better sides than Brisbane and Geelong. The latter two have been admirably consistent during the H&A season but they don’t have the same ceiling and A grade superstars as Giants/Eagles which comes out in finals. It’s a bit like us finishing top 4 last year.

It is fun to laugh at Chris Scott and he had a mare on Friday night with selection but I think he’s actually done really well to get that side to finish where it did. But come finals Geelong lack that top end talent to properly compete with Richmond, West Coast, Giants and Collingwood. Dangerfield obviously (and he was great on Friday ) but Kelly has dropped off as the season has progressed and Selwood and Ablett are no longer superstars.

I reckon both Cats and Lions go out in straight sets and the winner of the Richmond/Eagles prelim takes the flag (most likely Richmond who will be very hard to stop from here with MCG factor)

The injuries Collingwood had on Friday night make them vulnerable in the Prelim too

Richmond will destroy the Cats in a Prelim, but if it's dry conditions the Eagles would be a good show

When was last time the top two teams both went out in straight sets? Decades ago I'd imagine. History suggests at least one will get through to a prelim but I wouldn't predict either to win it. Collingwood are less threatening without DeGoey, Greenwood & Cox but GWS have a shocking MCG record and Brisbane's isn't much better, and Richmond's GF berth is a fait accompli.

The club that's had the biggest influence over the finals so far may have been Hawthorn. Had the Eagles likely beaten Geelong in week one and booked a home prelim against Brisbane they'd be GF certainties, then anything would've been possible. Instead they have to beat Geelong to face Richmond in a prelim they'll likely lose, then the Tigers will probably steamroll whomever they face in the big one. Clarko may have indirectly handed Hardwick his second flag at the expense of Simpson.

When was last time the top two teams both went out in straight sets? Decades ago I'd imagine. History suggests at least one will get through to a prelim but I wouldn't predict either to win it. Collingwood are less threatening without DeGoey, Greenwood & Cox but GWS have a shocking MCG record and Brisbane's isn't much better, and Richmond's GF berth is a fait accompli.

The club that's had the biggest influence over the finals so far may have been Hawthorn. Had the Eagles likely beaten Geelong in week one and booked a home prelim against Brisbane they'd be GF certainties, then anything would've been possible. Instead they have to beat Geelong to face Richmond in a prelim they'll likely lose, then the Tigers will probably steamroll whomever they face in the big one. Clarko may have indirectly handed Hardwick his second flag at the expense of Simpson.
To be fair WC probably ended our season. We had that game in the wet won.

Im really hoping the lions bounce back , I think they will be a far better chance of taking it up to the Pies on the MCG then GWS.
Have had a gut feel for the past week they will go in straight sets, hopefully I’m wrong.

Eagles to beat the Cats , if Geelong manage to get up I think Richmond will absolutely destroy them in the PF .
Eagles are a chance to knock the Tigs off.

Really just hoping for some decent quality competitive matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back