Game Day AFL Finals Week 1 game’s discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re comparing a tug of hair with a guy who has rabidly attacked the head and face of a player in a sustained attack that left him with scratch marks and a bruised eye. Did Bont spill your drink at a bar once or something? The two incidents aren’t remotely comparable.
It wasn't a rabid attack, but he'll cop his whack and you'll be right and I'll be wrong. But guys like Greene will always cop their whack whilst Bont can fracture a guys larynx but the AFL can't risk him winning a brownlow but being ineligible so he gets off.

Players heads being grabbed, or being pushed into the ground, players do dirty s**t all the time, but once you've established a certain reputation you'll get nailed every time. Like Greene will this time. Or like Brown almost did when the AFL wanted to give him a bigger punishment for protecting Judd than the actual punishment Judd copped for eye gouging Brown.

Players heads being grabbed, or being pushed into the ground, players do dirty s**t all the time, but once you've established a certain reputation you'll get nailed every time.
Again this is rubbish.
This simply doesn’t happen all the time, and especially not for prolonged periods like this Greene incident.

He’s not getting nailed for this because he has a certain reputation he’s getting nailed for this because its a dogs act and he had no business trying to rough a players head up at the bottom of a pack.

Again this is rubbish.
This simply doesn’t happen all the time, and especially not for prolonged periods like this Greene incident.

He’s not getting nailed for this because he has a certain reputation he’s getting nailed for this because its a dogs act and he had no business trying to rough a players head up at the bottom of a pack.
The passion you have for Bont in this instance, I wish you showed when Impey did his ACL because of a late dirty push by Atkins, or for Lewis after the Mumford incident that required him getting a shoulder reco.

This is my last message on the matter, but I believe whilst not a good look is minor overall and is something that happens pretty regularly in AFL matches but gets highlighted because it's Greene.

The passion you have for Bont in this instance, I wish you showed when Impey did his ACL because of a late dirty push by Atkins, or for Lewis after the Mumford incident that required him getting a shoulder reco.

This is my last message on the matter, but I believe whilst not a good look is minor overall and is something that happens pretty regularly in AFL matches but gets highlighted because it's Greene.
I don’t have a passion for Bont at all, barely like the guy, but the fact you’d even compare Impey’s injury to this says it all for me.

Impeys injury was an accident. A pure accident. But you’re now going to call the contest in that moment a “late dirty push” only minutes after making out like Greene fossicking around with someone’s face, slamming their head into the ground by their hair is “just one of those things that happens in footy all the time”.

Your argument is diabolically bad.

I don’t have a passion for Bont at all, barely like the guy, but the fact you’d even compare Impey’s injury to this says it all for me.

Impeys injury was an accident. A pure accident. But you’re now going to call the contest in that moment a “late dirty push” only minutes after making out like Greene fossicking around with someone’s face, slamming their head into the ground by their hair is “just one of those things that happens in footy all the time”.

Your argument is diabolically bad.
I'm arguing on outcomes - the same way the MRO do, when it suits them of course.

On top of that Impey's injury doesn't happen if Atkins doesn't push him in the back, late after a mark has taken out of frustration.

Anyway it's clear I'm not allowed to have the opinion that what Greene did isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things so I'm out.

I'm arguing on outcomes - the same way the MRO do, when it suits them of course.

On top of that Impey's injury doesn't happen is Atkins doesn't push him in the back, late after a mark has taken out of frustration.

Anyway it's clear I'm not allowed to have the opinion that what Greene did isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things so I'm out.
Arguing on outcomes is ******* stupid. I thought we all knew that.

Everything should be judged on intent.

And by the way, it’s not clear you’re not allowed to have an opinion, that’s rubbish, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be challenged.

On top of that Impey's injury doesn't happen if Atkins doesn't push him in the back, late after a mark has taken out of frustration.

You’re allowed to have your opinion - no one said you couldn’t. We are just also allowed the opinion that you’re talking out of your arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This fire needs some fuel hey...
apologies for shocking quality its taken from tiny twitter vid
But how is that not malicious/stupid/deserving of suspension
haynes has disposed of the ball and bont chooses to bump after the balls gone and causes serious injury

tickes all the boxes

743044 743045

What toby did does deserve a suspension imo, maybe 2 weeks would be the correct length but he'll probably get a life suspension for touching the bont.

haynes has disposed of the ball and bont chooses to bump after the balls gone and causes serious injury

tickes all the boxes

View attachment 743044View attachment 743045

What toby did does deserve a suspension imo, maybe 2 weeks would be the correct length but he'll probably get a life suspension for touching the bont.
The way I see this, Bont moved to cut off the pass, once there all he could do is brace for impact. Got him high and probably a little lucky not to get a week, but it was not intentional. I have no love affair with Bont but I really don't get the pro-Bont/untouchable conspiracies?

Greene, on the other hand, made a very conscious choice to grab a bloke's head who was lying on the ground and jam it into the ground repeatedly. And no, that doesn't happen every game. In fact, it happens very rarely, because it's a dog act.

Atkins was just trying to affect the mark, in no way was he intentionally trying to hurt Impey. It was just an unfortunate accident. It's pretty ridiculous to blame Atkins for that.

Contest a mark = dirty late push

Grab an opponent by the face/hair = happens all the time

We’ve stepped into an alternate reality.

tickes all the boxes

View attachment 743044View attachment 743045

Thank you for this post, although not malicious in his actions, it is the repercussion that Bontempelli should have been judged on.
We are told, when the player chooses to bump, the onus is on the bumper to ensure no injury occurs as a result.
ie: bump and a clash of heads occurs, who is to blame, who is at fault, who gets suspended?

If Bont wins the Brownlow, well, well, well...............

And go back to the footage, did Bont sling tackle his opponent? did this initiate the fracas?

Thank you for this post, although not malicious in his actions, it is the repercussion that Bontempelli should have been judged on.
We are told, when the player chooses to bump, the onus is on the bumper to ensure no injury occurs as a result.
ie: bump and a clash of heads occurs, who is to blame, who is at fault, who gets suspended?

If Bont wins the Brownlow, well, well, well...............

And go back to the footage, did Bont sling tackle his opponent? did this initiate the fracas?

So you’re saying it’s fair game to be eye gouged, scratched and have your hair pulled and slammed if you’ve sling tackled someone?

Contest a mark = dirty late push

Grab an opponent by the face/hair = happens all the time

We’ve stepped into an alternate reality.
Oh so Atkins was legitimately contesting that marking contest. Sure ok then.

The way I see this, Bont moved to cut off the pass, once there all he could do is brace for impact. Got him high and probably a little lucky not to get a week, but it was not intentional. I have no love affair with Bont but I really don't get the pro-Bont/untouchable conspiracies?
How do you not get that star players have the rules bent for them, so they aren't ruled ineligible to win a Brownlow which would be embarrassing for the AFL.

The precedent has been set. You choose to bump, you are responsible for ensuring the other players safety.

Bont's hit was most definitely intentional. You think he was protecting himself from Haynes????? He was clearly loading up to try and bump Haynes.

Even worse is the fact that the ball is gone. Not in the area. There's enough time between Haynes' disposal and Bont's hit for Bont to have pulled out. He chooses to bump, collects Haynes high, causes serious injury all while Haynes doesn't have the ball. This is not comparable to most incidents when the victim actually has the ball, for e.g. Burton last year.

Yeah, can't remember when a push in the back was considered contesting a mark. He's not edging him under the ball, it's a blatant push in the back

And those pushes in the back happen multiple times a round and never end in a suspension.

The attack Greene conducted on the weekend was utterly rare and should always end in a suspension.

I honestly couldn't give the slightest toss about what Bonts did a few weeks back. This is about what Greene did on the weekend - and what he did should see him rubbed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back