Game Day AFL Finals Week 1 game’s discussion

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And those pushes in the back happen multiple times a round and never end in a suspension.

The attack Greene conducted on the weekend was utterly rare and should always end in a suspension.

I honestly couldn't give the slightest toss about what Bonts did a few weeks back. This is about what Greene did on the weekend - and what he did should see him rubbed out.
To say stuff like what Greene did doesn't happen often is false. Yes Toby deserves weeks, but it's not like what he's done is very different to the type of stuff that was happening all day. This is in the first 5 minutes.

And for the record, this is what contesting a mark from behind looks like as opposed to a push in the back.

To say stuff like what Greene did doesn't happen often is false. Yes Toby deserves weeks, but it's not like what he's done is very different to the type of stuff that was happening all day. This is in the first 5 minutes.
View attachment 743245
And for the record, this is what contesting a mark from behind looks like as opposed to a push in the back.
View attachment 743247

A bit of scuffling or jumper grabbing isn't really comparable to eye gouging and leaving visible scratch marks all over a player's neck in my humble opinion.

I didn't ask what a genuine contest looked like. What i said was that those silly pushes in the back happen in almost every game and have never ended in a suspension. They generally don't warrant a free. Almost every single case of eye gouging will end in suspension however.

Bringing in Chris Judd, Campbell Brown, Jarman Impey, what Bonts did seven months ago, Keyser Soze and what Gil ate for breakfast last Wednesday don't mean s**t when it comes to what Toby Greene has been reported for. I really don't understand why so many red herrings are being brought in over this.

What Greene did was a dog act - he will hopefully get suspended for it.

I didn't ask what a genuine contest looked like. What i said was that those silly pushes in the back happen in almost every game and have never ended in a suspension. They generally don't warrant a free. Almost every single case of eye gouging will end in suspension however.

Bringing in Chris Judd, Campbell Brown, Jarman Impey, what Bonts did seven months ago, Keyser Soze and what Gil ate for breakfast last Wednesday don't mean s**t when it comes to what Toby Greene has been reported for. I really don't understand why so many red herrings are being brought in over this.

I still don't know why we call it that.

Makes no sense to me, given all my years of experience with animals cats are clearly much bigger assholes

I still don't know why we call it that.

Makes no sense to me, given all my years of experience with animals cats are clearly much bigger assholes

This is a campaign I am happy to join actually. Cats are campaigners and dogs are awesome.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A bit of scuffling or jumper grabbing isn't really comparable to eye gouging and leaving visible scratch marks all over a player's neck in my humble opinion.

agreed he should be suspended BUT
mate, bont wasn't eye gouged. He was roughed up, scratched etc. Eye gouged? that just false.

agreed he should be suspended BUT
mate, bont wasn't eye gouged. He was roughed up, scratched etc. Eye gouged? that just false.

You're basing that off of what? Most reports on it refer to eye gouging. Greene's hand comes into contact with Bont's face. Bont has a bruised eye afterwards. That footage is somewhat obscured and happens quickly - I know I am using circumstantial evidence here, but it would seem there is more to indicate eye gouging occurred than to indicate it didn't.

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Well we know how they reacted when Judd did it, they fined Campbell Brown.
I really don't give two hoots about what happens to Bont or Greene to be honest.

But your point about Brown getting suspended for protecting Judd reminded me how pissed off I was at the time.

They fined Campbell well after the AFL made its decison about Judd's indescretion. Only because Brown admitted to lying about the evidence he gave (clearly the first guy to ever do it)

And yet, when the AFL let Bont off a few weeks ago for breaking the larynx, they interstingly made their decision before the medical evidence was available. Presumably because they were not going to apply a retrospect decision and rushed to make the "right decision".

But because it was Bont there was silenc ein te media and they think we are dumb and gullible to believe this s**t.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Just imagine the amount of s**t Toby Greene would be in right now if he wore a Hawthorn jumper! Media-driven character assassination would be in full swing.

I really don't give two hoots about what happens to Bont or Greene to be honest.

But your point about Brown getting suspended for protecting Judd reminded me how pi**ed off I was at the time.

They fined Campbell well after the AFL made its decison about Judd's indescretion. Only because Brown admitted to lying about the evidence he gave (clearly the first guy to ever do it)

And yet, when the AFL let Bont off a few weeks ago for breaking the larynx, they interstingly made their decision before the medical evidence was available. Presumably because they were not going to apply a retrospect decision and rushed to make the "right decision".

But because it was Bont there was silenc ein te media and they think we are dumb and gullible to believe this s**t.
He played against them this week.

How do you not get that star players have the rules bent for them, so they aren't ruled ineligible to win a Brownlow which would be embarrassing for the AFL.

The precedent has been set. You choose to bump, you are responsible for ensuring the other players safety.

Bont's hit was most definitely intentional. You think he was protecting himself from Haynes????? He was clearly loading up to try and bump Haynes.

Even worse is the fact that the ball is gone. Not in the area. There's enough time between Haynes' disposal and Bont's hit for Bont to have pulled out. He chooses to bump, collects Haynes high, causes serious injury all while Haynes doesn't have the ball. This is not comparable to most incidents when the victim actually has the ball, for e.g. Burton last year.
I'm fully aware that different players have different rules. Sicily only needs to look at a bloke sideways to get suspended, whereas Gaz can whack a bloke in the head 3 consecutive weeks before he misses a game. Your argument for Bont being an untouchable is poor though.

You can see the footage more clearly here:

Bont has his hand out in an attempt to smother the kick, it's only after the ball is past him, he pulls it in to brace for contact. You say he can pull out, but where exactly do you expect him to go? He can't just disappear into his own arsehole. You can't expect players to be able to stop or change direction instantly, it's just not possible. Same deal with the Hodge/Wingard incident, Hodge was running on his line and couldn't deviate in the time it took Wingard to turn his body inwards when bracing for the post.

there are bigger problems in this world but Greene copping a fine reckon kinda validates my argument. Pretty disappointed with a couple of the posters with how they went after me just because they didn't agree with my opinion on here and won't be in a hurry to engage with them on footy talk here for a while. Now if he eye gouged I would have been all for him copping a suspension.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You're basing that off of what? Most reports on it refer to eye gouging. Greene's hand comes into contact with Bont's face. Bont has a bruised eye afterwards. That footage is somewhat obscured and happens quickly - I know I am using circumstantial evidence here, but it would seem there is more to indicate eye gouging occurred than to indicate it didn't.
mate have you ever been poked in the eye, let alone eye gouged? safe to say you're going to be in more strife than what bont was in.

Fact that the tribunal hearing didn't even mention eye-gouging would also lead one to think it didn't happen

Gleeson says it would be "one of the more significant fines" handed out by the AFL Tribunal, but says it "falls short of warranting a suspension sanction" due to Greene's guilty plea.

Pleading guilty didn't help Sicily or Stratton :drunk:

feels like MRP/AFL Tribunal rulings on the run. (again)

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm fully aware that different players have different rules. Sicily only needs to look at a bloke sideways to get suspended, whereas Gaz can whack a bloke in the head 3 consecutive weeks before he misses a game. Your argument for Bont being an untouchable is poor though.

You can see the footage more clearly here:

Bont has his hand out in an attempt to smother the kick, it's only after the ball is past him, he pulls it in to brace for contact. You say he can pull out, but where exactly do you expect him to go? He can't just disappear into his own arsehole. You can't expect players to be able to stop or change direction instantly, it's just not possible. Same deal with the Hodge/Wingard incident, Hodge was running on his line and couldn't deviate in the time it took Wingard to turn his body inwards when bracing for the post.

he actually changes his direction and squares haynes up.....

you can actually see that haynes is trying to get out of bont's way by turning inwards, where as bont is changing his line to hit haynes.

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
Gleeson says it would be "one of the more significant fines" handed out by the AFL Tribunal, but says it "falls short of warranting a suspension sanction" due to Greene's guilty plea.

Pleading guilty didn't help Sicily or Stratton :drunk:
Can players and clubs now use that as a benchmark to appeal against cases like this?

I do enjoy that the AFL now finds swearing at the footy to be more worthy of a crackdown and expulsion from the game - but attacking the face of a prone player is apparently not grounds for a suspension.

The galling, utterly transparent favouritism for GWS and GC is only ever going to drive more fans away from the game in traditional markets than it will bring in through regions that give less than a * about the sport.

Back