Analysis AFL Forcing 6th Placed Saints to Play Their Home Final at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Disgraceful. What makes it even more disgraceful is that apparently if Collingwood had won last night, they weren't going to make Collingwood go to Adelaide Oval. But they're happy to make two 'little' clubs like the Saints and Bulldogs go.

The AFL has always favoured the big teams, but it feels like over the last 5 years ago they've given up on even bothering to try to hide it.
1st place gets the Friday Night game, Winner of 5v8 plays the loser of that QF so they will play it on the Thursday to minimise break differences

Brisbane finished 2nd, so they get the Gabba as the highest ranked team on the Saturday. Saints at 6th need to find another venue for the other Saturday game. No different to when Melbourne has 4 finals, and one of the Saturday games gets moved to Docklands

If Pies won last night, then Port finish 2nd and play the Saturday, which means the Pies couldn't play at Adelaide Oval on the Saturday too, which would be a moot point because the Gabba would be free. (Brisbane finish 1st and play on the Friday night).

There is no conspiracy here, just unfortunate scheduling conflicts.

1st place gets the Friday Night game, Winner of 5v8 plays the loser of that QF so they will play it on the Thursday to minimise break differences

Brisbane finished 2nd, so they get the Gabba as the highest ranked team on the Saturday. Saints at 6th need to find another venue for the other Saturday game. No different to when Melbourne has 4 finals, and one of the Saturday games gets moved to Docklands

If Pies won last night, then Port finish 2nd and play the Saturday, which means the Pies couldn't play at Adelaide Oval on the Saturday too, which would be a moot point because the Gabba would be free. (Brisbane finish 1st and play on the Friday night).

There is no conspiracy here, just unfortunate scheduling conflicts.

You realise they want to play at Metricon, not the Gabba....?

You realise they want to play at Metricon, not the Gabba....?
Yes but Metricon seats 7.5k and AO 25k

Finals are AFL home games. Geelong gets shafted from KP, Docklands teams get shafted from Docklands (Bulldogs 2015?). You get a preference, not a guarantee.

Yes but Metricon seats 7.5k and AO 25k

Finals are AFL home games. Geelong gets shafted from KP, Docklands teams get shafted from Docklands (Bulldogs 2015?). You get a preference, not a guarantee.

If St Kilda and Bulldogs draws 25,000 at AO ill personally drive to QLD and spend the next fortnight clapping Gil every time he is in public

It will be a 5000 fan difference at best. Given the fact they gave up 25,000 extra fans at Optus Stadium not 4 days ago its a tad hypocritical is it not?

They want to play in QLD, Gabba is unavailable.

The math is about as simple as its gonna get?

You're about as stupid as you're gonna get.

Nowhere is Metricon even mentioned. They only say they want to play at the Gabba.

You're about as stupid as you're gonna get.

Nowhere is Metricon even mentioned. They only say they want to play at the Gabba.

Says here they requested QLD

Without a quote from anybody. It's a generalised editorialised statement. Nobody from St. Kilda has actually said this. They are just assuming, the same way everyone else in this thread is.

Fair enough. Its a bit of a educated guess more then anything but yeah

Splitting hairs though at this point. Fact is the AFL want 5000 at AO when they gave up 25000 at Optus 4 days earlier

Its pathetic

In all honesty though. its more of a moral statement then a financial statement you will find

AFL is using this as some form of lesson on financial management. Its quite childish really but Gil is a childish person

Actually Ratten said in a presser that we had requested the GABBA.

Don't know why you quoted me since my entire point was that nobody from St. Kilda has said anything about Metricon Stadium, but you started your reply with 'Actually" implying you were going to post something different to what I did, but instead you basically confirmed my post as accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I think its a bit shitty we have been moved. But in regards to brisband and richmond they deserved the leg up by finishing where they did if we didnt choke in so many games this year we probably would of finished top 4 and reaped the benefits of a leg up
They have a leg up, it's called the 2nd chance for the loser and the winner going directly to the Prelim.

The harsh reality is that St Kilda has to go out and win which would send a big "UP YOURS" to the AFL and Gil (supposedly a St Kilda supporter).

It will be a 5000 fan difference at best. Given the fact they gave up 25,000 extra fans at Optus Stadium not 4 days ago its a tad hypocritical is it not?
One was a H&A game and one is a final, an important difference that was explained about 4 posts ago.
The complete free ride Gil is getting this morning is the true disgrace as well

The guys a dictator and is above the game. Only way out is for a new competition to start up.
Maybe you should start up a bullshit rumour thread about that too.

One was a H&A game and one is a final, an important difference that was explained about 4 posts ago.

Maybe you should start up a bullshit rumour thread about that too.

One was agreed too by both teams, The other wasnt

Id say that is a important difference too...

As far as logic goes

- AFL dont need more money, everything is great
- AFL wants 5000 more paying tickets desperately

Both actions dont align my friend. This just proves what im saying is correct.

Putting aside the fact the saints deserve the game at the GABBA. I dont think AO would actually pull anymore than the GABBA would for this game tbh. Neutral fans in QLD will roll up. Will neutral SA fans who despise Vic teams roll up to AO for a elimination final between 2 smaller Vic teams?

One was agreed too by both teams, The other wasnt

Id say that is a important difference too...

As far as logic goes

- AFL dont need more money, everything is great
- AFL wants 5000 more paying tickets desperately

Both actions dont align my friend. This just proves what im saying is correct.
I'd say that's irrelevant.

And the AFL didn't need the extra money from scheduling Geelong home finals at the MCG, but they've done it in the past anyway.
Putting aside the fact the saints deserve the game at the GABBA. I dont think AO would actually pull anymore than the GABBA would for this game tbh. Neutral fans in QLD will roll up. Will neutral SA fans who despise Vic teams roll up to AO for a elimination final between 2 smaller Vic teams?
Sounds like you're also putting aside the issue of the Gabba's availability.

I'd say that's irrelevant.

And the AFL didn't need the extra money from scheduling Geelong home finals at the MCG, but they've done it in the past anyway.

Sounds like you're also putting aside the issue of the Gabba's availability.

Fantastic logic that....

Because the AFL had the same financial circumstances it had 12 months ago. Nothings changed or anything on that front

Ironic you mentioned west coast. They were denied home finals in 1996 and 1999. ep2018 would know this.

Crows were also denied a home semi final in 2002.

Brisbane was denied a home final in 2004

Playing devils advocate here. Firstly that there is precedent for clubs to have lost out in a similar fashion in previous seasons. Second is it not possible in a year of no/halved crowds, when the AFL has shelled out over $60 million for hubs, when people have been laid off for the game to survive, that the AFL has an opportunity to make more money for the league when the league desperately needs it. They simply took a reasonable action by doing something that has been done in the past. Is that a conspiracy and corruption or a necessity? I know that its frustrating when something goes against you and its easy to feel hard done by but is it not possible to take one on the chin for the whole team? It sucks, but its not the end of the world and the team that wins it is the one who the last one standing despite everything that the season threw at them.

If St Kilda and Bulldogs draws 25,000 at AO ill personally drive to QLD and spend the next fortnight clapping Gil every time he is in public

Yeah I don't think they'll get that big a crowd at all. Saints have okay support in SA, Bulldogs have 2 tenths of * all. The AO won't get the MCC/AFL members freeloader finals tickets so it is highly doubtful many neutrals will go.

The only thing it will further outline is what a better spectacle footy is at Adelaide Oval over the Gabba, so unsure what the AFL's motivation is really.

I don't really see any problem with this at all personally.

St Kilda also have only left QLD once (Alice Springs) in the last 10 rounds, which gives extra incentive. They've played a fair bit at the Gabba to be familiar with the GF venue, they are playing a Victorian opponent, Week 1 & 2 is a good time to be using fine grounds like OS and AO (especially given they missed out on the GF). If the Lions were the away team their Vic opponent would probably like to leverage Adelaide. Potential for Port PF aside, I'd prefer for Week 3 & 4 to lockdown in QLD. Metricon is sort of a plan B/flexibility finals venue, and you'd prefer for it to make its finals debut in a Suns home game (the Bears never made finals when Carrara was their home ground). If Richmond were the Week 2 host in QLD, that Saints/Bulldogs travel might also serve as the Tigers home advantage.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back