List Mgmt. AFL free agency rules revealed

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade and FA thread was closed but thought this would interest a few peeps so posting here. Secret herbs and spices of the FA formula apparently revealed. Seems we may have been very close to getting that pick 2.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...free-agency-compensation-20180221-p4z16j.html

Geelong were controversially awarded the same compensation for free agent Steven Motlop as the Brisbane Lions received for Tom Rockliff partly because of the one-year age difference between the pair.

Motlop, who surprisingly earned the Cats an end-of-first-round choice (pick 18), just scraped into the same compensation ‘‘band’’ as Rockliff, who was paid close to $100,000 a season more than the ex-Cat over the same period and whose salary nearly delivered the Lions pick No.2 in the 2017 national draft.

AFL sources say that the age of a player is important, because two fewer points might see a free agent slide 10 or so placings in the rankings, when they are paid the same money.

Motlop is understood to have been right at the bottom of the band for players who earn an end-of-first-round draft pick, while Rockliff - who was paid an estimated $650,000-$700,000 by Port - was right at the top of that band and not far from earning the Lions pick No.2.

Last edited:
My take away is that they're trying to cover their arse after the Rockliff/Motlop debacle. So many "nearly"s in the article. It's like they "nearly" give a s**t.

The AFL is becoming one of the worst managed competitions. It seriously is becoming a debacle and a massive clean out of AFL house needs to be done IMO. Supposedly it's quite toxic and they need to sort their crap.

The AFL is becoming one of the worst managed competitions. It seriously is becoming a debacle and a massive clean out of AFL house needs to be done IMO. Supposedly it's quite toxic and they need to sort their crap.
Looking from the outside in it certainly seems to need a serious shake-up.

Who cares..........I am excited about our lot and at this point of time......couldn't give a hoot about what could have been. Watched the xfactor last weekend and my favorite player I hoped we would draft was A. Boner. I didn't even notice he was playing. Bring on 2018..year of the LIONs resurrection to where it belongsss.

Who cares..........I am excited about our lot and at this point of time......couldn't give a hoot about what could have been. Watched the xfactor last weekend and my favorite player I hoped we would draft was A. Boner. I didn't even notice he was playing. Bring on 2018..year of the LIONs resurrection to where it belongsss.

So emotionally mature to let it all go. I still get stuck in the anger stage, hence the occasional rant. My new mindful mantra will be 'what would Lazza 16 do.'

Who came up with this system? It's incredibly amateur. No factoring in of incentive based earnings at all, arbitrary boundaries between distant compensation brackets rather than a sliding scale, they don't even bother to use a player's exact age, they just round to the nearest year even though a one year difference "might see a player slide 10 or so places in the rankings." That is until you pass 30, then they've decided there's no difference at all between a 31 year old and a 36 year old.

It's as if there's no one at AFL house that knows how to use excel. This is worse than when the footy journalists at the Age thought an increase from 6 to 9 was a one third increase.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back