Game Day AFL Grand Final 2019: Tigers v Giants...

Who will win?

• Tigers under 17.5

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Giants under 17.5

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Tigers over 17.5

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Giants over 17.5

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Don't care...

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What a loser mentality. West Coast seem to handle the cauldron quite well every time they get there.
Luckily they didn't had to play Richmond last year who were clearly the best team all last year but had a shocker night against Collingwood, they would have easily accounted for West Coast.

******* pack of sooks. Lets all blame the Afl ohhh its soo corrupt. Ohhh we cant beat the Vic sides in the finals its not fair . Newsflash. Thats the way it is. Its been like this all along. Interstate sides still win flags. How about our pissant players and to a lesser extent supporters harden the * up, grow a set of nuts and stop crying that its all too hard. Too many of our post 2017 players never ever ever ever want to get back to that final day in September just in case they are humiliated again. Thats why we have had to sit through the last two years of utter garbage. Pyke is just the scapegoat in all of this as is the norm. The Its on the players. They are scared stiff you can see it. Its ******* pathetic.Overpaid, petulant little coach killing turds. Dead set sick of the excuses.

Picket was best on ground for me.

22 disposals and a goal. He broke lines in the Second quarter, where the game was won. You have to factor in it was his first afl game, it was in front of 100 thousand people.

AAnd the guy who was awarded the medal, stats don't show any real dominance considering the scoreboard.. He simply fulfilled his role. Wouldn't make his top fifty best games list

******* pack of sooks. Lets all blame the Afl ohhh its soo corrupt. Ohhh we cant beat the Vic sides in the finals its not fair . Newsflash. Thats the way it is. Its been like this all along. Interstate sides still win flags. How about our pissant players and to a lesser extent supporters harden the fu** up, grow a set of nuts and stop crying that its all too hard. Too many of our post 2017 players never ever ever ever want to get back to that final day in September just in case they are humiliated again. Thats why we have had to sit through the last two years of utter garbage. Pyke is just the scapegoat in all of this as is the norm. The Its on the players. They are scared stiff you can see it. Its ******* pathetic.Overpaid, petulant little coach killing turds. Dead set sick of the excuses.
I sense Pyke was the real supporter of the CM (which even pissed off Betts who is a decent bloke and that's saying something), and it does explain his press interview with Burton and him trying to deflect the blame on the players......he isn't the "scapegoat" some has lead to believe.

I sense Pyke was the real supporter of the CM (which even pi**ed off Betts who is a decent bloke and that's saying something), and it does explain his press interview with Burton and him trying to deflect the blame on the players......he isn't the "scapegoat" some has lead to believe.
Yeah he is.

Not sure we agree or can disagree, I think we get 3 or 5 requests with the fixture and not playing at those places isn’t one of them.
Well maybe one of our requests could be we do enough traveling so we won't be traveling to any provincial grounds in the outback or rural Victoria.

Those stunts should be done by Melbourne teams that rarely travel. Equalisation.

******* pack of sooks. Lets all blame the Afl ohhh its soo corrupt. Ohhh we cant beat the Vic sides in the finals its not fair . Newsflash. Thats the way it is. Its been like this all along. Interstate sides still win flags. How about our pissant players and to a lesser extent supporters harden the fu** up, grow a set of nuts and stop crying that its all too hard. Too many of our post 2017 players never ever ever ever want to get back to that final day in September just in case they are humiliated again. Thats why we have had to sit through the last two years of utter garbage. Pyke is just the scapegoat in all of this as is the norm. The Its on the players. They are scared stiff you can see it. Its ******* pathetic.Overpaid, petulant little coach killing turds. Dead set sick of the excuses.
Be careful Crowboto I posted a similar point ,” you are either good enough or you’re not” had a few d**kheads go nuts had to end up putting the idiots on ignore didn’t want to lower myself to their level, goodluck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yawn. Being annoyed that there are inequalities in the competition is hardly commensurate with having a sook. Inequalities exist. They are very easy to fix. The AFL administration choose not to do so. It’s complete garbage. I would suggest that it’s supporters like you who need to harden the fu** up and have the balls to demand change.

Picket was best on ground for me.

22 disposals and a goal. He broke lines in the Second quarter, where the game was won. You have to factor in it was his first afl game, it was in front of 100 thousand people.

AAnd the guy who was awarded the medal, stats don't show any real dominance considering the scoreboard.. He simply fulfilled his role. Wouldn't make his top fifty best games list
Haha what? You do NOT have to factor in it was his first game. The medal is for best on ground, not best relative performance. If Steve Smith hits 100 in a World Cup final and a debutant scores 60 there’s no way you give MotM to the debutant just because Smithy hits tons for fun.

Haha what? You do NOT have to factor in it was his first game. The medal is for best on ground, not best relative performance. If Steve Smith hits 100 in a World Cup final and a debutant scores 60 there’s no way you give MotM to the debutant just because Smithy hits tons for fun.

What if Smithy hits 100 off 150 and the debutant hits 10 sixes for his 60?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Steve Smith gets a hundred in a world Cup final, he probably cheated. .

Yawn. Being annoyed that there are inequalities in the competition is hardly commensurate with having a sook. Inequalities exist. They are very easy to fix. The AFL administration choose not to do so. It’s complete garbage. I would suggest that it’s supporters like you who need to harden the fu** up and have the balls to demand change.

Jimmy bartel who played his whole career at geelong, says that traveling for the grand final is a non issue. Says interstate sides travel so much, they're use to it
tool of the decade award for him.

Sports science reckon that playing in a WA team shortens your career by about 50 games.

Jimmy bartel who played his whole career at geelong, says that traveling for the grand final is a non issue. Says interstate sides travel so much, they're use to it
tool of the decade award for him.

Sports science reckon that playing in a WA team shortens your career by about 50 games.
[/QUOTE
There is obviously a home ground advantage at play. Anyone who denies this is either stupid or wilfully ignorant... and it’s hilarious that anyone should argue that travel is a non-issue. Fine then. Let Vic teams travel and promote the game Nationally for the sports biggest game.

Plus, it’s more than the day of the game. The noise, passion and continual support at the parade and events in Melbourne would be overwhelming. The Giants supporters would have been outnumbered 100 to 1.

Heck, we have a huge supporter base and in 2017 we were swallowed by the Tiger army on the Thursday and Friday before the Grand Final, would have the Giants supporters even made an impact?

The environment of the week would have mentally drained the players. If we had our time again, I would suggest the club and players stay in Adelaide and just miss the entire Thursday and Friday and fly in Saturday morning for the game. Focus on the prize and avoid all the unnecessary distraction.

The Tiger army was everywhere and overwhelming. It would have been ridiculous for the Giants players and supporters the past few days.

The whole city and shopping centres on the weekend had sold out of Giants' scarves.

It was Richmond vs the rest of Victoria.

I watched Richmond again very closely on GF day.
Apologies to the poster because I can't find the post, but someone commented on Richmond's ability to score from turnovers while being the worst side in the competition at clearances. I imagine the instruction has gone something like this, and repeated week after week, session after session, break after break:
"1) CREATE loose ball. Tackle, block, harass until the oppo either spills the ball or no longer has the ball.
(1a) Imo, no side does this better right now. PA used the tactic to beat WC away, and to overwhelm us at AO after the bye; see also below. Other teams do it occasionally, but Richmond do it all the time. Their defensive pressure when they don't have the ball is peerless.)
2) Then, if you cannot take clean possession yourself to give out clean possession to a teammate, keep the ball moving --- tap it on, mongrel it on, grubber/soccer it on and out, away from the contest to one of our blokes outside. If you can't mark it, knock it to someone in space, or out-of-bounds.
There was a brilliant example of this (PF) when Riewoldt went up one-on-three for a mark, but tapped it down Martin's throat for a run-in goal.
(2a) this is an almost kamikaze method to take oppo players by surprise (because they are expecting Richmond to take possession), to keep the ball moving, to make sure their own players run to get that ball which has been mongrelled on/out. Oppo players in the contest are taken out of it and often left several metres behind when the ball is knocked out of a tight area. Think about it --- a Richmond player in a tight spot, eg outnumbered, will easily be tackled if he takes possession. However, if he knocks it out, those 2 or 3 oppo players in the contest are suddenly out of the contest, out of position, and Richmond's runners swoop and go forward.)
3) When he has clean possession, RUN, and keep running to move the ball forward by overlap-handball or short kicks to a man in space.
(3a) this requires supreme fitness and a willingness to run into space for their team even though they often do not receive the ball. They create multiple options for teammates and ensure that they have more outside players than their opponents. It also means that they have to be willing to run back quick-smart if the tactic doesn't work. Richmond's two-way running is the ultimate team-game.)".

It's not a new tactic. Clarko/Hawthorn have used it successfully but with an emphasis on team possession from marks by skillful foot-passing. Richmond have taken it to a level that has produced their last 3 years; 2 Flags and a PF.
In some ways, it reminds me of Jack Oatey's effect on Sturt and footy itself, especially 1966-1970 inclusive. Back then the game was more static; kick-mark, kick-mark, and handball was used as a get-out-of-trouble device. Oatey changed that to a much quicker, run-on overlap style, using handball much more effectively. What Richmond now do also works within the new 6-6-6 structure which has created more one-on-one contests. Richmond's willingness to run, run, RUN always gives teammates options away from/outside the ball, so that clean possession in contests is not as vital as it used to be.

I watched Richmond again very closely on GF day.
Apologies to the poster because I can't find the post, but someone commented on Richmond's ability to score from turnovers while being the worst side in the competition at clearances. I imagine the instruction has gone something like this, and repeated week after week, session after session, break after break:
"1) CREATE loose ball. Tackle, block, harass until the oppo either spills the ball or no longer has the ball.
(1a) Imo, no side does this better right now. PA used the tactic to beat WC away, and to overwhelm us at AO after the bye; see also below. Other teams do it occasionally, but Richmond do it all the time. Their defensive pressure when they don't have the ball is peerless.)
2) Then, if you cannot take clean possession yourself to give out clean possession to a teammate, keep the ball moving --- tap it on, mongrel it on, grubber/soccer it on and out, away from the contest to one of our blokes outside. If you can't mark it, knock it to someone in space, or out-of-bounds.
There was a brilliant example of this (PF) when Riewoldt went up one-on-three for a mark, but tapped it down Martin's throat for a run-in goal.
(2a) this is an almost kamikaze method to take oppo players by surprise (because they are expecting Richmond to take possession), to keep the ball moving, to make sure their own players run to get that ball which has been mongrelled on/out. Oppo players in the contest are taken out of it and often left several metres behind when the ball is knocked out of a tight area. Think about it --- a Richmond player in a tight spot, eg outnumbered, will easily be tackled if he takes possession. However, if he knocks it out, those 2 or 3 oppo players in the contest are suddenly out of the contest, out of position, and Richmond's runners swoop and go forward.)
3) When he has clean possession, RUN, and keep running to move the ball forward by overlap-handball or short kicks to a man in space.
(3a) this requires supreme fitness and a willingness to run into space for their team even though they often do not receive the ball. They create multiple options for teammates and ensure that they have more outside players than their opponents. It also means that they have to be willing to run back quick-smart if the tactic doesn't work. Richmond's two-way running is the ultimate team-game.)".

It's not a new tactic. Clarko/Hawthorn have used it successfully but with an emphasis on team possession from marks by skillful foot-passing. Richmond have taken it to a level that has produced their last 3 years; 2 Flags and a PF.
In some ways, it reminds me of Jack Oatey's effect on Sturt and footy itself, especially 1966-1970 inclusive. Back then the game was more static; kick-mark, kick-mark, and handball was used as a get-out-of-trouble device. Oatey changed that to a much quicker, run-on overlap style, using handball much more effectively. What Richmond now do also works within the new 6-6-6 structure which has created more one-on-one contests. Richmond's willingness to run, run, RUN always gives teammates options away from/outside the ball, so that clean possession in contests is not as vital as it used to be.

This sir is a 100% correct analysis
I dip my hat off to you in the most gracious way
I too have made the same conclusion after studying the last 3 years of their game style/plan
Now I can't tell you how to combat it as only seen it once done in 2018 PF v pies and it seems to be a one off so far
Most kind regards to you

Back