AFL Grand Final, 5000 Extra Tickets to Fans!

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/135113/default.aspx

Bizzare that there was no thread on this yet.

THE AFL has raised the price of Grand Final tickets, but the League has sweetened the situation by announcing the number of tickets that can be purchased by members of the competing clubs has been boosted by 5000.

It means 30,000 tickets for this year's decider will be made available to members of the clubs who qualify for the contest.

The 5000 extra tickets have been taken from the allocations previously made available to the non-competing clubs to be sold as part of lucrative corporate packages.

The clubs will be compensated for the loss of revenue that stems from being forced to relinquish the corporate tickets.

"Approximately 70 per cent of people at this year’s Grand Final will be either a club member, AFL Member or MCC Member," the AFL's commercial operations manager Darren Birch said.

"The allocation of an extra 5000 Grand Final tickets to competing club members is significant and necessary.

"The clubs have done a great job in building their membership bases, with numbers continuing to grow substantially each season."

The AFL says the ticket prices have been raised to "offset the reduction in revenue generated for clubs and the industry from the sale of corporate tickets that have now been re-allocated".

Grand Final ticket prices for members of the competing clubs will range from $176.50 for a standing room ticket to $390 for a seat in the platinum area.

Last year a standing room ticket cost $150, while the most expensive seat was $295.

"A ticket to the AFL's showcase game each year still remains extremely good value for members, given the extraordinary demand for Grand Final tickets and the pricing of other major sporting and entertainment events," Birch said.

In a further change, corporate packages for the Grand Final will only be available through the AFL, AFL event office and AFL clubs.

"No third party on-sellers will be authorised to advertise or sell Grand Final packages," Birch explained.

"This new centralised model will ensure greater consistency, transparency and integrity of the corporate packages in the market."

Under the new rules, any company or individual found acting as a third party on-seller, without an AFL authorised on-seller code, will be in breach of the State Government Ticketing Scheme.

A list of approved on-sellers will be published on the AFL website.

Adult ticket prices for the 2012 Grand Final are:

* Standing Room - $176.50
* Bronze - $200
* Silver - $300
* Gold - $355
* Platinum - $390

Ticket prices are higher, but more fans will get a better chance for tickets as opposed to having to pay thousands of dollars for them in packages. :thumbsu:

Non-competing clubs: 200 each

AFL members: Full members with club support of competing clubs only

Medallion club: **** off.

That’s what we need to get to. Won’t happen but this is a step in the right direction and hopefully it keeps moving in that direction.

roff ffs

Non-competing clubs: 200 each

That’s what we need to get to. Won’t happen but this is a step in the right direction and hopefully it keeps moving in that direction.

If AFL members was restricted to just full members of competing clubs, then it would be half full! Stupid notion.

Medallion club Members pay thousands of dollars to basically be the 'MCC members' of Etihad, they deserve the ability to purchase tickets. Stupid Notion.

The way they set it up with corporates/AFL/MCC/Medallion Club means they maximise crowds, especially if it is a Interstate GF which would struggle with the crowd anyway.

But if you rely on Interstate members turning up you might struggle. Fremantle/Port Adelaide, No neutral AFL members, just Match day members, you think they would get 100k?

When it was Sydney v WC, they sold leftover AFL Members allocations to club members that missed out on the initial ballot, so this is something that has happened before (even with neutral AFL members getting their chance). They'll just keep selling them to various groups until they run out.

Any grand final would be close to selling out, even if it's between 2 interstate teams.
Three quarters of the tickets for the grand final are already allocated before the teams playing are known. Even with the increased allocations, there's enough members for every clubs to buy all of their tickets. And even if they weren't sold, they'd put tickets on public sale; and people who have always dreamed of going to a grand final will snap them up in seconds.
Even if, by some miracle, GWS Giants were to play Gold Coast Suns in this year's grand final, it will sell out. I will personally underwrite it.

If AFL members was restricted to just full members of competing clubs, then it would be half full! Stupid notion.

Who do you think is in the AFL members reserve currently? The Medallion Clubbers are in there for a start, plus a ton of “corporates” and AFL guests. The actual number of AFL members in the reserve is small and shrinking. Ask any AFL member how easy it was to get a ticket 5 or 10 years ago versus last year.

It’s now basically what I proposed anyway, might as well formalise it.

I’m an AFL member BTW.

Medallion club Members pay thousands of dollars to basically be the 'MCC members' of Etihad, they deserve the ability to purchase tickets. Stupid Notion.

And the Grand Final is at the MCG. What’s stupid?

The way they set it up with corporates/AFL/MCC/Medallion Club means they maximise crowds, especially if it is a Interstate GF which would struggle with the crowd anyway.

No, it’s set up the way it because the clubs all have their snouts in the trough. If this was ever to happen (I highly doubt it), happy for anything left over after club members to go to other full AFL members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it was Sydney v WC, they sold leftover AFL Members allocations to club members that missed out on the initial ballot, so this is something that has happened before (even with neutral AFL members getting their chance). They'll just keep selling them to various groups until they run out.

In 05 I wans't a member but got 4 tickets simply by calling ticketek the day before, should happen more often.

In 05 I wans't a member but got 4 tickets simply by calling ticketek the day before, should happen more often.

Yup. Tickets will sell out no matter what. I was a member both times and got tickets in 05 no issues. In 06 I got a call from the club on Wednesday or Thursday asking if I still wanted a ticket (still not sure if I should have gone ;)). Good to see that at least they offer to club members first, but no issues with them selling tickets to the general public after any members are taken care of.

There's always some people who think that all 100,000 tickets should go to the members of the competing clubs...

Now if that happened, then the MCC, Medallion Club and AFL Members numbers would drop off... why pay big $$$ if you don't get to go to the Grand Final?

Secondly, all the clubs that sell a premium reserved seat membership with guaranteed Grand Final access would lose most of those premium members

Thirdly, a lot of clubs would drop members.

And there's the problem...

Back in the 1990s if you were a club member your chances of getting a ticket were quite reasonable.

Never forget a Saints lady upset on the news in 1997 "If I'd known they were going to make the Grand Final I would've got a membership"... with supporters like that... :rolleyes:

Non-competing clubs: 0 each

Edited for perfection.

I don't mind raising the prices for the Grand Final, it is the GRAND FINAL after all, but what pisses me off is the little allocation to members of the competing clubs. I would know that as a Lions member now when we are playing shite footy that if we make the GF in a few years time and I missed out on GF tickets I would be royally pissed off. 15000 each is still a joke. Should be at the very least 35000 each. If they raise the ticket prices again to say $300-$400 each to do this then do it. If the Lions are in it I'd rather pay more for a ticket then not have one at all.

They should allocate tickets based on the FULL membership sizes of each club. Every single club member should have priority over anybody else. This of course means FULL memberships, not pet memberships or 3 game memberships or anything of the sort. As long as you're a full member of a club, you should be guarunteed the opportunity to see them play in a GF. If not for some AFL member friends of mine, I would have missed both 09 and 10 GFs despite being a full member of the Saints since the minute I was born.

They should allocate tickets based on the FULL membership sizes of each club. Every single club member should have priority over anybody else. This of course means FULL memberships, not pet memberships or 3 game memberships or anything of the sort. As long as you're a full member of a club, you should be guarunteed the opportunity to see them play in a GF. If not for some AFL member friends of mine, I would have missed both 09 and 10 GFs despite being a full member of the Saints since the minute I was born.

What about Victorian Lions and Swans members. Although I'll agree with 3 game memberships, pet memberships etc.

What about Victorian Lions and Swans members. Although I'll agree with 3 game memberships, pet memberships etc.

Don't most teams offer interstate/international memberships? I was on one for the Saints for a couple of years. Definitely should be considered a full membership I guess. I agree 100%.

Don't most teams offer interstate/international memberships? I was on one for the Saints for a couple of years. Definitely should be considered a full membership I guess. I agree 100%.

Also General Admission members should count as well. I'm a GA member and I turn up to every home game, even when I know we're going to get smashed. My loyalty shouldn't go unrewarded.

I have always thought that clubs should keep track of how many games each member goes to throughout the season (they may already do this).

Then when it comes to allocating GF tickets, those who have been to the most game for the season get first crack at it. Interstate games are worth double.

This isn't taking into account premium level memberships (like mine) which gain priority access to tickets.

Hate it when I hear stories about people desperate for GF tickets who haven't even been to a game all season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back