AFL grand final Draw - Full Replay or Extra Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
In 2016, the AFL changed the rules which saw extra time introduced following a drawn grand finals instead of playing a full replay the following week.

Should the grand final be replayed or go into extra time. As a diehard and traditionalist, I prefer the Grand Final Replay over extra time. Only 3 drawn grand finals in the history of the VFL/AFL since 1897.

We got close to a drawn grand final in 2006 had Sydney manages to kick a point, sending both West Coast and Sydney to a full replay that year the following week. The 2010 replay was between Collingwood and St Kilda in which was the last ever drawn grand final.

Another close call was the previous year's GF had St Kilda kicked a goal instead of Geelong.

Having two Grand Finals is a windfall for the AFL and broadcasters

With the national competition and possibility that one team has to travel twice, or spend the whole week away, the replay is not really a fair option. For most local leagues, the replay makes sense. But not in a national league (or some country leagues over large areas).
Assuming the replay happens at the G anyway. No reason it couldn’t move interstate after a draw.

In 2016, the AFL changed the rules which saw extra time introduced following a drawn grand finals instead of playing a full replay the following week.

Should the grand final be replayed or go into extra time. As a diehard and traditionalist, I prefer the Grand Final Replay over extra time. Only 3 drawn grand finals in the history of the VFL/AFL since 1897.

Extra time.

I was at the draw and it was awful and the following week just didn't feel the same.

The drama of a replay is undeniable, but it's 2023 and the modern world moves ahead very quickly, which means extra time is the way to go.

The following week just didn't feel the same.
Few pies fans I know disagree. They reckon without the corporates and ticket giveaways etc. the replay had more actual fans of the clubs involved. It meant that those who missed out on tickets to the first game were able to see the second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This makes AFL sense.

A draw is the final result during the season
They play extra time during finals
They play a full replay for the GF

Don't ever make it one rule fits all, that would be far to conventional!

Here’s an idea -

1) If the grand final is drawn between two victorian teams, replay it at the mcg the next week

2) If the grand final is drawn between two non-victorian teams, replay it at the mcg the next week (both teams have to travel again)

3) If the grand final is drawn between a victorian and non-victorian team, have the replay in the home state of the non-victorian team (one game each in their respective cities seems fair if game one is a draw!).

While I support extra time. Without the 2010 replay we would have missed the best pre-game entertainment in the history of the game.

When Lionel Ritchie let that Saints fan sing “play on, play on” it was awesome.

Regards

S. Pete

Doesn't make an ounce of sense to replay the game.

Extra time all the way.

In fact, I reckon there is a time down the track where the draw is eliminated entirely as a way to end a regular season match and there is extra time for this also. 5 mins each way in a reg season match, 10 mins each way in week 1-3 of the finals and 15 each way in the GF.

Agree with others that extra time is preferable to a replay. 2010 felt like an anticlimax. The week leading into the replay just didn't have GF week vibes anymore.

Regardless, I came here to post something that I hadn't realised had changed. The extra-time in finals (including GF) is now 3 minutes each way (formerly 5).

Also, the golden point rule which came in briefly, if scores were still tied, was abandoned sometime in recent history. Instead, additional periods of 3 minutes each way are added, as many times as necessary to split the sides.

Regardless, I came here to post something that I hadn't realised had changed. The extra-time in finals (including GF) is now 3 minutes each way (formerly 5).
Urrrggh that sucks.

Grand Final should be 10 minutes each way.

Finals are OK as 5 each way as teams (usually) have to play the next week and a full additional quarter is a bit rough.

3 minutes each way is real shitty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back