AFL grand final Draw - Full Replay or Extra Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with others that extra time is preferable to a replay. 2010 felt like an anticlimax. The week leading into the replay just didn't have GF week vibes anymore.

Regardless, I came here to post something that I hadn't realised had changed. The extra-time in finals (including GF) is now 3 minutes each way (formerly 5).

Also, the golden point rule which came in briefly, if scores were still tied, was abandoned sometime in recent history. Instead, additional periods of 3 minutes each way are added, as many times as necessary to split the sides.
If it was a closer? Would have the same tension? Not sure either way

Does anyone know when the golden point rule - which was never actually used - got quietly shelved?
2016 was when it changed to no longer have the replay, and scrapped golden point in 2019 (according to Wikipedia, which links to below AFL Commission Meeting notes)

Does anyone know when the golden point rule - which was never actually used - got quietly shelved?

Bigfooty got that done.

Extra time. All Day Long. Remember the scenes in Richmond post match after the drawn GF in 2010. As the rain began to fall, the fans wandered off, bewildered, not knowing what to say. Felt like Monday morning going into work. Yuck! The whole week felt wrong leading up to the replay. You can't climb Everest again so soon. God only knows how the players got up for it.

In 2016, the AFL changed the rules which saw extra time introduced following a drawn grand finals instead of playing a full replay the following week.

Should the grand final be replayed or go into extra time. As a diehard and traditionalist, I prefer the Grand Final Replay over extra time. Only 3 drawn grand finals in the history of the VFL/AFL since 1897.

One way to get their night grand final would be to have a FULL 4 quarter replay straight after the final siren and scores are level!

Extra time, no doubt - what if there's a draw in the replay??
Actually surprised that there hasn't been more draws in GF's and finals in general.

Last edited:
10 mins each way
if still a draw a shoot out man on the mark 45 out straight in front highest score after 5 from each team have a shot wins if still a draw continue until differential.
Penalty shoot outs in soccer is up there as the greatest theatre in world sport!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the scoring system of AFL footy it is rare to have a draw, extremely unlikely to be a draw after one period of extra time and I would have more luck waking up a millionaire than there be a draw after 2 extra time periods

Extra time, no doubt - what if there's a draw in the replay??
Actually surprised that there hasn't been more draws in GF's and finals in general.
On average there's about 2 draws a year out of hundreds of games. So 3 draws out of around 120 grand finals is quite a lot.

20 minutes extra time, and if scores are still level, a penalty shootout would be fun. Teams take turns to kick from 30 minutes from three angles: directly in front, 45 degrees and near the boundary. If after 5 shots each scores are still tied, same but from 50 metres.

Penalty shoot out please, it's such a highlight of any soccer game!

I like a replay because all the fans that want to go can go - the MCG will not be 50% full of wealthy flogs who go to one game a year and aren't really into the footy anyway.

Replays are silly. Everybody goes into the GF knowing it’s the final day. Plenty of players play with injury because it’s the last game. I think it was 2005 or 2006 where they thought 3-4 players from each side, including a couple of superstars, couldn’t have played the next week because of injury. What an anti climax.

2010 was a stupid anti-climax too. A gripping GF that should’ve gone to extra time. Instead you have another blowout next week.

It took the AFL a while but it finally got it right. Draws are fine in the H&A, then extra time in finals til there’s a result.

Honestly surprised the feelings are so pro-extra time rather than reply, didn't realise I was in such a minority.

The other aspect I liked about the replay is the fact that more members attend, as the corporates have all been taken care of in the first game.

Think there was a nickname "the people's grand final" for the second one last time, can't remember which paper was calling it that.

An additional factor I don't like about having a replay is that there would be 3 different outcomes to a drawn match, depending on when it is played:
  • H&A - drawn game is the final result
  • Finals - extra time.
  • Grand Final - replay next week.

Currently there are only 2 variations - a draw in H&A or E/T in finals. Every year there is a push to have E/T in H&A games, but I'm personally happy with the status quo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back