• Afternoon

Votes: 211 62.6%
  • Twilight

Votes: 96 28.5%
  • Night

Votes: 30 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's been a huge push from broadcasters for twilight or night Grand Finals to become the norm due to the increased TV ratings and revenue that it brings them.

I think the AFL will revert back to day Grand Finals for the remainder of the current TV deal, then force the broadcasters to pay extra for twilight/night Grand Finals in the next deal.

Afternoon has many fans, but many haters.
Night has many fans, and many haters
Twilight seems to have more impartial viewers from everyone (though, I'm a hater personally)

I personally prefer night games and want that over anything. BUT, I do see the arguments For Afternoons and against Nights, and will agree that it is a hindrance to many.

But end of the day, I feel we need to compromise and take the Twilight spot.
Afternoon screws over alot of people. But works for so many
Night screws over a fair amount of people, but works for so many (Including the networks which is why the push will happen year after year)

Twilight doesnt screw over many, but almost everyone would rather afternoons or nights.
But because it doesnt screw over too many, I believe we should just go with that time. Next to no one wants it, but I'd bet most would prefer Twilight as their #2 preference.

fwiw - I believe most that would prefer nights would also be the subset of fans least likely to be on BigFooty.

There's been a huge push from broadcasters for twilight or night Grand Finals to become the norm due to the increased TV ratings and revenue that it brings them.

I think the AFL will revert back to day Grand Finals for the remainder of the current TV deal, then force the broadcasters to pay extra for twilight/night Grand Finals in the next deal.

This reasoning dosen't really make that much sense though. The networks get * all viewers on a Saturday afternoon, therefore basically no ad revenue, but at night, they get their best numbers anyway, and get some ad $. Wouldn't 7 prefer to get money during a normally dead timeslot than get a bit of extra money during a time they would turn a profit anyway?

It will come down to money and be night. Twilight is terrible i think starting a game in the day and ending at night isn't ideal.

I prefer the day from a personal view. We always have a fantastic BBQ and spending it with friends. I enjoy speaking about the game afterwards. A night grand final sort of finishes late and thats it.

This reasoning dosen't really make that much sense though. The networks get fu** all viewers on a Saturday afternoon, therefore basically no ad revenue, but at night, they get their best numbers anyway, and get some ad $. Wouldn't 7 prefer to get money during a normally dead timeslot than get a bit of extra money during a time they would turn a profit anyway?
I think it's because TV networks care more about the audience share in the evening (prime time). If they have the highest share of viewers in prime time, they win that day's ratings period.

I have a feeling that afternoon ratings aren't counted in a day's share of ratings, most probably because as you said, it's always a dead period. The_Wookie is an expert in this space and could probably provide some more info on it.

This reasoning dosen't really make that much sense though. The networks get fu** all viewers on a Saturday afternoon, therefore basically no ad revenue, but at night, they get their best numbers anyway, and get some ad $. Wouldn't 7 prefer to get money during a normally dead timeslot than get a bit of extra money during a time they would turn a profit anyway?

People in footy states will watch anyway but they want the night slot for the northern states (NSW/QLD). Last year's GF ratings in those markets was exceptional I believe and it was with two smaller Melbourne club's playing.

ad revenue isnt necessarily timeslot dependant. Major events such as origin and grand finals exist outside the regular scale of advertising rates. While its thought that more people might watch later in the day/evening, saturday night isnt really considered prime time tv either.

I think it's because TV networks care more about the audience share in the evening (prime time). If they have the highest share of viewers in prime time, they win that day's ratings period.

I have a feeling that afternoon ratings aren't counted in a day's share of ratings, most probably because as you said, it's always a dead period. The_Wookie is an expert in this space and could probably provide some more info on it.

There isnt really a daily audience share measurement that encompasses the whole day - Oztam release a daily share that runs from 6pm- midnight, but audience share data is occasionally released in other times, generally by networks. for instance for the 2021 Grand Final

"The thrilling match dominated its timeslot with a 77% share of viewers during the game, and an 80% share of 25 to 54s."

but then went on

"Seven recorded an overall prime time commercial network share of 73.5% on Saturday and a 75.9% share in 25 to 54s. The highest ever prime time commercial shares for any network in OzTAM history were recorded across several capital cities, including Melbourne with an 88.9% commercial share, Adelaide (77.3%) and Perth (76.9%)"

ad revenue isnt necessarily timeslot dependant. Major events such as origin and grand finals exist outside the regular scale of advertising rates.

Then wouldn't that mean 7 would prefer the day slot instead? With the state of broadcast TV in 2022, would a network even care about winning a slot? Wouldn't they just be trying to squeeze every dollar they could out of advertisers to stay alive? Because 7 could get a 90% share during the grand final at night does that really mean an advertiser would be willing to pay more money to them the Saturday night after than they otherwise would be?

It will come down to money and be night. Twilight is terrible i think starting a game in the day and ending at night isn't ideal.

I prefer the day from a personal view. We always have a fantastic BBQ and spending it with friends. I enjoy speaking about the game afterwards. A night grand final sort of finishes late and thats it.
This is why the government should grow a set of balls and legislate a day GF indefinitely.

AFL GF day is an event. Much like the Melbourne Cup. The day allows for the people to share the experience should they choose. Supporters of competing clubs can't wait for the game to start. Non-competing club supporters gather with friends and enjoy the event (albeit with a hint of envy).

When are we going to tell the Accountants to F Off and leave some tradition in our lives?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why the government should grow a set of balls and legislate a day GF indefinitely.

AFL GF day is an event. Much like the Melbourne Cup. The day allows for the people to share the experience should they choose. Supporters of competing clubs can't wait for the game to start. Non-competing club supporters gather with friends and enjoy the event (albeit with a hint of envy).

When are we going to tell the Accountants to F Off and leave some tradition in our lives?
Couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately it’s a business and all they care about is the bottom line.

IMO

Keep the game day, make a tradition of having an oval concert post game like the killers did as it gets dark, open the ground up to all members to attend to celebrate who can watch nearby or travel in post game.

So they can choose by being forced to share the experience at 2pm, but not be forced to experience it at 4:30 or 7:30pm?
My experience:

2020 was an excruciating wait. I don't mind the GGs, but could not get involved with Cox Plate day. Focus was squarely on the GF. Post match, there was very little time to celebrate properly.

If my team was not involved and the GF was at 7.30pm, by the time the game comes around the days almost over. BBQs at 7.30pm don't have the same feel. Besides, most of us would be half tanked by then anyway.

2.30pm start for GF. The only one's against that are the bean counters - like it's going to make that much difference to the overall bottom line?

Then wouldn't that mean 7 would prefer the day slot instead? With the state of broadcast TV in 2022, would a network even care about winning a slot? Wouldn't they just be trying to squeeze every dollar they could out of advertisers to stay alive? Because 7 could get a 90% share during the grand final at night does that really mean an advertiser would be willing to pay more money to them the Saturday night after than they otherwise would be?
More people are free to watch something at night. The potential audience is bigger. Which means you can charge Advertisers more.

Last 2 years showed how much better the later timeslots are. Should never go back to day. It's no longer the 80s. Get with the times.

What did it show, other than every night game having the same atmosphere void of identity and the inability to soak up the post-game celebrations because it was bed time for most people not aged between 16 and 25?

The only correct answer is afternoon.

I could handle a twilight Grand Final as an experiment, although last year was the time to trial it. Traditional start time in Perth, twilight TV slot for everybody else. It was set up perfectly and the AFL botched it. Our guests had left and my wife was in bed before the Dees were handed the cup. It just doesn't have the same feeling as a traditional GF and I'm amazed any true footy fan could prefer the night time fixture.

Back