• Afternoon

Votes: 211 62.6%
  • Twilight

Votes: 96 28.5%
  • Night

Votes: 30 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Grand Final? It does cover three of the five AFL states now.

My vote would be to keep the day Grand Final though.

The AFL has already done so much to bastardise the VFA turn "VFL". I think that would be an awful decision as it'd make it virtually impossible for actual fans of the VFL final to attend.

What they might consider is holding it at Punt Road though.

Make it earlier - 2:10.
I doubt it ever been at 2-10 pm since I been into footy.
If it has I cannot remember it.
I remember it sneaked up from 2-30 pm to about 3-15 pm over a decade but 2-30 pm was the traditional time I remember it as most.
It always started later than the normal day time start of home and away season.

Ratings this year aren't reliable.
First year out of 2 GF lockdowns for Vic viewers (not sure about other states), more likely to have been getting out and about and making the most of the freedom at parties etc. Geelong have more country viewers too compared to all the other teams, my understanding is those figures are just metro.
Not sure how they measure people watching part of the game, reckon a lot of Sydney viewers would have switched off.
I turned it off when McCartin decided a kick across goal was a good option. 1st time I have ever done that for a GF. Spoke to a few people today and some didn't even last that long.

Already been done. Your club won one when it started around this time.
I remember the presentation seemed a lot darker than most Grand Finals.
Was either 1996 or 1999.

History of GF time slots
  • 1898-1902 = 2.50pm
  • 1903 = 3.10pm
  • 1904-1966 = 2.50pm
  • 1967-1980 = 2.30pm
  • 1981-1992 = 2.50pm
  • 1993-1994 = 2.30pm
  • 1995-1997 = 2.45pm
  • 1998 = 2.50pm
  • 1999 = 3.00pm
  • 2000 = 2.45pm
  • 2001-2004 = 2.30pm
  • 2005 = 2.35pm
  • 2006-2019 = 2.30pm
  • 2020 = 6.40pm
  • 2021 = 5.15pm
  • 2022 = 2.30pm

All local times.

I like day Grand Finals because it strikes a good balance of time for build up and post game enjoyment.

With night ones the day drags on for too long and by the time you have the presentation, lap of honour, interviews in the rooms etc the day is kind of done.

With a day GF there is still time after all of that to go to the pub etc.

The half time kick of the footy is better during the day too because you can see the ball.

And I think you need to make the most of Melbourne September weather. Granted it's not always a cracker of a day but that transition time of year can often serve up a beautiful day. Shame to waste that. This year a great example: beautiful and sunny if not particularly warm. If it was at night it would have just been another cold Melbourne night.
We have enough of those.

I kinda feel like 3:30 would be a good time. Still “afternoon”, but a bit more acceptable for WA watchers.
I wouldn't mind twilight just to get rid of the ground in half sun half shade. It spoils the coverage a bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was glorious sitting in the Southern Stand on a sunny spring Melbourne afternoon watching footy when it is meant to be played.
One of the great things which should never be changed.

This. I was able to take my kid to the game yesterday with a 2.30pm start.... no chance for a night game. Plus, I daresay, would the crowd be a little more rowdy on the drink for a night game? I know I am! A night GF is not family friendly at all.

Commercially, I love being able to go to the game or a bbq and then after the game be able to head out for dinner and then on the town. If the game is finishing up late and I am already full of drink, that is a lot of commercial business the state will lose. Ahem Chairman Dan?

It doesn't matter what we think the low ratings is just the fuel the AFL need to change time slot.

Back