• Afternoon

Votes: 211 62.6%
  • Twilight

Votes: 96 28.5%
  • Night

Votes: 30 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What isn't often mentioned is that the increased ratings for a night grand final are a drop in the ocean compared to the size and viewer numbers of the multi-year broadcast deal as a whole. Grand final day is a tiny fraction of the ad revenue and viewership throughout the season.

Precisely why I don't understand the push.

The 'create new fans through new people being able to watch it' argument holds zero water as well. I watch the NRL GF when I can remember it's on and I've never dived further into the sport because of it.

My wife is the ultimate test on this entire discussion. Doesn't care about footy at all despite my undying affection for it. She absolutely loves Grand Final day because it's a rare occasion where you can host a day time event. Most parties and events take place at night. A night Grand Final just becomes any old party you can host on any weekend of the year. But then the kids miss out.

3:30pm would still be fine. Any later and you start to destroy the fabric of the best day of the year.

The aesthetic of twilight is poor. Always will remind me of the irrelevant Sunday home and away match and just doesn't look good lighting wise. The entire game being played at day or night is better.
The AFL just had record ratings overall for the finals series and the Sydney v Collingwood twilight game rated through the roof. According to Media Week: Seven’s AFL finals pulled in 1,084,000 views as the Sydney Swans beat Collingwood by one point to reach the AFL grand final against Geelong. 540,000 Melbourne fans watched on. The pre-match coverage reached 314,000 people, followed by the post-match coverage with 228,000 views.
Nines Rugby League coverage claimed the next top well below the AFL reaching 424,000 people. The semi-finals, which saw the Rabbitohs defeat the Sharks to win 38-12 clocked 412,000 views, followed by the pre-match coverage with 295,000 views and post-match coverage with 236,000 people tuning in.
The NRL should be scratching their heads as they were up against the ABC, with a repeat of Death in Paradise, clocking 275,000 views.
All AFL finals games were played with the 'yellow" Sherrin except the Grand Final. It's inevitable that a Twilight or Nighttime game is coming soon and we the fans won't be making the call on the timeslot, it will be those who will be paying $4.5 billion to broadcast it. The day Grand Final may have seen its last game.

Hearing whateley waffle on about the ratings this morning and this was the last afternoon grand final. No mention of the fact the last 2 grand finals we were in lockdown so everyone watching at home.
Definitely a media agenda with the push for twilight and night grand final.

Whateley is an AFL mouthpiece

The twilight start time has grown on me in the last few years especially with finals starting at 4:35pm in Melbourne. Grand Finals in the 90s started as late as 2:45pm Melbourne time

Maybe we wont choke in twilight or night grand finals so ill go for that
It's been a very long time since Collingwood pulled off a proper choke IMO. 2018 they just got reeled in by a better opponent, 2010 they nearly choked but for a draw.

You've really got to go back to the golden era of the 70s and 80s for Collingwood Classic Chokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL just had record ratings overall for the finals series and the Sydney v Collingwood twilight game rated through the roof. According to Media Week: Seven’s AFL finals pulled in 1,084,000 views as the Sydney Swans beat Collingwood by one point to reach the AFL grand final against Geelong. 540,000 Melbourne fans watched on. The pre-match coverage reached 314,000 people, followed by the post-match coverage with 228,000 views.
Nines Rugby League coverage claimed the next top well below the AFL reaching 424,000 people. The semi-finals, which saw the Rabbitohs defeat the Sharks to win 38-12 clocked 412,000 views, followed by the pre-match coverage with 295,000 views and post-match coverage with 236,000 people tuning in.
The NRL should be scratching their heads as they were up against the ABC, with a repeat of Death in Paradise, clocking 275,000 views.
All AFL finals games were played with the 'yellow" Sherrin except the Grand Final. It's inevitable that a Twilight or Nighttime game is coming soon and we the fans won't be making the call on the timeslot, it will be those who will be paying $4.5 billion to broadcast it. The day Grand Final may have seen its last game.
It was 4 million viewers for the day GF in 2019. They also don't seem to take into account the loss of TV viewership to online streaming.

There are two reasons to have a later start.
1. More people are home in the evening.
2. Entertainment / sideshow is ordinary in sunlight and game looks better without shadows.
If you have the pre-game entertainment before 4pm the centre square is still in sunshine. The whole playing area is not in total shade until just after 5pm, so if you start the game before then you will still have sun/shade problems during the match. Sunset time for today is 6.19pm so if you have the halftime show much before then it is still daylight.

So unless you have the bounce (also on its way out) at 5pm (or just after), you are not solving enough problems to make the change worthwhile. Also, about about every second year it it also NRL PF weekend, so you will have an 8pm game. 5pm game will finish 7.45pm. Fits in nicely for the northern states.

4.10pm pre-game entertainment
5pm bounce
6.08pm half time
6.13pm half time entertainment
6.35pm second half
7.45pm siren
TV coverage can run later into the night rather than having to switch to the news at 6pm.

Night.

To me, this argument is now clear cut. There is no case anymore to play the grand Final during the daytime.

The tradition argument is nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

The Preliminary Final was played during the day for nearly 100 years, as were all finals, and that tradition was stopped, and yet the hypocrites arguing for a day Grand Final won't complain about this.

ALL home and away games were played exclusively during the day from 1897-1985 and that tradition has stopped, and yet the hypocrites arguing for a day Grand Final conveniently ignore this also.

It's not even traditional anyway, in the sense that there was never a "choice" up until light towers were installed at the MCG in 1985. The Grand Final was played during the day, not because it was the right thing to do, but because it was the only option. It was never played during the day because 'We like daytime" but simply because there were no light towers - exactly the same reason all home and away games were played during the day. Yet most people either don't understand this, or refuse to acknowledge it.

The Grand Final is the most important game played of this sport. It is the showpiece game. If you could only play one game at night for the year, this would be it. The biggest game, in front of the biggest TV audience, with the most spectacular entertainment.

It's just amazing that the AFL play all the other finals at night/twilight to maximise the audience, but on the biggest game of them all, when maximising the audience is even more important, they play it in the least desireable timeslot for television. It's astonishing. And for what genuine reason? It can't be tradition, because if that was the case all the other finals would be during the day too.

After so many near misses, I can't blame you. I also suspect that Collingwood probably should have won two GFs in the new millennium, too - either 2003, or 2012/13 were it not for the botched "transition".
Just happy we won ONE, that could easily have gone the other way

With 18 teams, any kid born today has done well to see more than 4 in their lifetime

My wife is the ultimate test on this entire discussion. Doesn't care about footy at all despite my undying affection for it. She absolutely loves Grand Final day because it's a rare occasion where you can host a day time event. Most parties and events take place at night.
You know you can do all of that on Melbourne Cup Day! Don't need to know much about the Gee Gees but can a rippper daytime party because of them!

There are two reasons to have a later start.
1. More people are home in the evening.
2. Entertainment / sideshow is ordinary in sunlight and game looks better without shadows.
If you have the pre-game entertainment before 4pm the centre square is still in sunshine. The whole playing area is not in total shade until just after 5pm, so if you start the game before then you will still have sun/shade problems during the match. Sunset time for today is 6.19pm so if you have the halftime show much before then it is still daylight.

So unless you have the bounce (also on its way out) at 5pm (or just after), you are not solving enough problems to make the change worthwhile. Also, about about every second year it it also NRL PF weekend, so you will have an 8pm game. 5pm game will finish 7.45pm. Fits in nicely for the northern states.

4.10pm pre-game entertainment
5pm bounce
6.08pm half time
6.13pm half time entertainment
6.35pm second half
7.45pm siren
TV coverage can run later into the night rather than having to switch to the news at 6pm.

The majority of the ground was in shade at 4.30 pm, I specifically looked at the clock and this was on a sunny day.

Game time start to finish is usually 2.5 hours, add an extra 5 min for the longer half time break.
Q1 30 min
Break 5 min
Q2 30 min
Break 20 min (+ 5 grand final)
Q3 30 min
Break 5 min
Q4 30 min

I reckon a 4.40 pm start would be ideal, around 7.15pm the game finishes, allows for the presentation of the cup to finish by 8pm. You don't wanna push it back too late and miss the crowd of people heading out for dinner on Saturday night.

You know you can do all of that on Melbourne Cup Day! Don't need to know much about the Gee Gees but can a rippper daytime party because of them!

That's a Tuesday and the most overrated day on the calendar. Also only a public holiday in one state. A regular work day for the rest of us.

Night.

To me, this argument is now clear cut. There is no case anymore to play the grand Final during the daytime.

The tradition argument is nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

The Preliminary Final was played during the day for nearly 100 years, as were all finals, and that tradition was stopped, and yet the hypocrites arguing for a day Grand Final won't complain about this.

ALL home and away games were played exclusively during the day from 1897-1985 and that tradition has stopped, and yet the hypocrites arguing for a day Grand Final conveniently ignore this also.

It's not even traditional anyway, in the sense that there was never a "choice" up until light towers were installed at the MCG in 1985. The Grand Final was played during the day, not because it was the right thing to do, but because it was the only option. It was never played during the day because 'We like daytime" but simply because there were no light towers - exactly the same reason all home and away games were played during the day. Yet most people either don't understand this, or refuse to acknowledge it.

The Grand Final is the most important game played of this sport. It is the showpiece game. If you could only play one game at night for the year, this would be it. The biggest game, in front of the biggest TV audience, with the most spectacular entertainment.

It's just amazing that the AFL play all the other finals at night/twilight to maximise the audience, but on the biggest game of them all, when maximising the audience is even more important, they play it in the least desireable timeslot for television. It's astonishing. And for what genuine reason? It can't be tradition, because if that was the case all the other finals would be during the day too.

There are plenty of great reasons in this thread if you choose to go back and read them.

Families being the biggest one.

You want to get the next generation of kids into the game but also want to potentially shut them out of celebrating the most important game of the year because it finishes too late. It doesn't make sense.

If people can't even take time out to watch a grand final during the day how much do they care, really? It's all about ratings, ad revenue, money in the end. But that's increasingly how sports is becoming so it's probably inevitable. Don't mind a 3-4pm start but night is too long. Plus it's just less suitable for families. I like how the day is about it. The 2020 GF isnt a good indicator as it was in Brissie during covid, but really can't see many upsides.

Can I just say it's good to see everyone's mixed opinions in here, makes for good reading.

Pisses me off hearing people like Whately, Tony Jones and basically every other person in the media arrogantly assuming that it is clearly the best option and only a matter of time beofre it happens, whilst not declaring their considerable conflict of interest in the matter.

Back