• Afternoon

Votes: 211 62.6%
  • Twilight

Votes: 96 28.5%
  • Night

Votes: 30 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When I've watched day grand finals overseas the spectacle side of it actually makes me embarrassed to be an Australian.No more day grand finals

Yeah agree it kinda feels like a local league grand final being in the daytime. Twilight is perfect and original, I don't think any other sport does it but it combines the best elements of both.

Gonna steal my post from the Port thread on the subject:

In regards to the Grand Final start time, there's always this assumption that putting it later will result in higher ratings. Will it though? I know I'm not the target market, being someone that will watch it regardless, but I find it hard to believe there is a significant amount of people that would be compelled to watch the game purely because it's a Twilight or Night game. Like, I get that on a regular Saturday, the night rates higher, but being a Grand Final, which is an event in itself, surely the lions share of people that want to watch it do even if it's during the day. It's very anecdotal but not once in my years on this planet have I felt more compelled to watch the NRL grand final purely because it's on at night. In fact I wonder if you'd lose a certain age group of watchers putting it on a Saturday night and disrupting peoples Saturday night plans?

I thought the same thing, however found myself watching the NRL GF last night because it was Sunday night and it was on. Were that GF on a Saturday at 2.30pm there isn't a chance in hell I would have watched it.

So how casual do the AFL want to be in this extra viewer base? Cause the die hards and those who love the game will dedicate the day to it, like we all do, but how much do the AFL want the complete casual to take a look so they can be advertised Aldi and Repco?

Twilight, the perfect balance between the day and night crew and between the ratings dead spot and prime time.

Fair bit of talk today about the NRL ratings. Basically they were terrible, just like the AFL (relatively).

It's a night game but like the AFL it was a one-sided affair. When that happens, the casual viewers switch off, no matter what time it is on.

Goes to show that a crap game, no matter the timeslot, won't rate. As you'd expect.

For me, I want the slot we're in now. Selfishly of course from a family perspective. Going to the game this year with my 8 year old the timeslot was literally perfect. Lunch first in town, then the game, then the train home. Twilight a stretch, night game no chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nrl ratings were down and it was a night game, where’s all the tv rate bashers now?

Afternoon thank you...

Fair bit of talk today about the NRL ratings. Basically they were terrible, just like the AFL (relatively).

It's a night game but like the AFL it was a one-sided affair. When that happens, the casual viewers switch off, no matter what time it is on.
Lol for some reason I thought it started at 8. I was out, tried to get a bet on for first try scorer and didn't understand why I couldn't.

Checked the scores. Got home and watched old episodes of Seinfeld.

I'm not a casual viewer and I switched off both games shortly after half time.

Not surprised to hear that. The closeness of the game, plus the popularity of the sides playing, arguably have a bigger impact on the ratings than what time of the day the game is on.

When I've watched day grand finals overseas the spectacle side of it actually makes me embarrassed to be an Australian.No more day grand finals

When I've watched Grand Finals overseas I've never been prouder of our national sport and Australia, because the significance forces a bunch of foreigners to open their bars at 5am and the patrons on the day are all brought together by their love of football.

Either we please 1 state and upset multiple others or we please multiple states and upset 1 state due to the afternoon start time.

I think WA are out numbered, tough.

Back