Last edited:

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
thats nice. Me I like details.

I would have posted them if I had them, however here is an article from which I've cherrypicked this claim:
On 2019 lists, there were roughly twice as many (about 105, up from 53) players in the AFL from NSW, Queensland and the ACT compared to 1996. The major gains were Queensland contributions doubling in number and recruitment from Sydney and coastal NSW increasing significantly.

The actual numbers escaped a quick read.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I would have posted them if I had them, however here is an article from which I've cherrypicked this claim:
On 2019 lists, there were roughly twice as many (about 105, up from 53) players in the AFL from NSW, Queensland and the ACT compared to 1996. The major gains were Queensland contributions doubling in number and recruitment from Sydney and coastal NSW increasing significantly.

The actual numbers escaped a quick read.

Really good information in that attachment. Puts to bed the myth around dilution of talent.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not to me.

I watch and enjoy the WAFL. There's plenty of talent there and it's not bogged down in defensive tactics.
I don't watch so much AFL now because of the way many teams are coached.
Thankfully teams have realised that the only way to combat defensive tactics is to attack
and that chipping the ball backwards and even switching allows teams to prepare defenses.
That encourages me to watch more AFL.

Talent ? If an AFL player has talent then they put a player on to nullify the player.
Today, a player has to be an absolute superstar to beat the opposition.

The_Wookie what part of Queensland is Northern Rivers??

Northern Rivers area is a big chunk of Northern NSW ie Coffs Harbour, Grafton, Lismore, Byron Bay, Tweed Heads etc all way up to the Qld border.

Is it supposed to be the southern Qld near the NSW border, west of the Gold Coast and more the Darling Downs??

I've done a few searches for Northern Rivers Queensland and get nothing. The order its layed out I assume its some part of FNQ north of Cairns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The_Wookie what part of Queensland is Northern Rivers??

Northern Rivers area is a big chunk of Northern NSW ie Coffs Harbour, Grafton, Lismore, Byron Bay, Tweed Heads etc all way up to the Qld border.

Is it supposed to be the southern Qld near the NSW border, west of the Gold Coast and more the Darling Downs??

I've done a few searches for Northern Rivers Queensland and get nothing. The order its layed out I assume its some part of FNQ north of Cairns.

Byron, Ballina, Lismore, Richmond Valley, Tweed

regions.JPG

Byron, Ballina, Lismore, Richmond Valley, Tweed

View attachment 1310201
Do you know if AFLQ have shared responsibility for Northern Rivers development stuff with AFL NSW-ACT?

If only AFLQ, then which club gets that area as part of its Academy? Gold Coast or Sydney?

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Do you know if AFLQ have shared responsibility for Northern Rivers development stuff with AFL NSW-ACT?

If only AFLQ, then which club gets that area as part of its Academy? Gold Coast or Sydney?

It's part of the Gold Coast's academy, so a NSW born player from say Lismore is zoned to the Suns

Map of the zones which can be zoomed to street level can be found here:

It's part of the Gold Coast's academy, so a NSW born player from say Lismore is zoned to the Suns

Map of the zones which can be zoomed to street level can be found here:

Thanks for confirming. I've used that map many times for SA and WA clubs' zones.

Glad I asked the question, as I had never heard of a Northern Rivers area in Qld.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
In the past 20 years the Gold Coast population has grown from 0.45m to 0.7m. If it continues at that rate there will be 1m people in the Gold Coast around 2041.

7cd756deaa43461685088735a18ceabe.jpg

231507d522ee585db086c5d3e9a4d57e.jpg

That would make the Gold Coast nearly as big as Adelaide when it got it’s second team.

Now I’m not saying the Gold Coast should have a second team in the future. Or for SEQ to have three teams with it’s current population of 3.5m. But you can definitely see why the AFL wanted the Gold Coast as team 17.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back