Portfolio AFL Heritage Round - By Zooper Dooper

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
So, I've been on here a while and during that time I've been really inconsistent. Periods in time where I've released many designs, but after that, I never finished releasing them. Heritage Round is a concept that many of us loved when it happened. But I didn't become aware of it until 2012 when I first played AFL Live Premiership Edition, yes I know that seems weird, but I bought it for about $20 at my local Gametraders. I used to play games with teams in their Heritage jumpers, believing it was the best thing ever. For years I've wanted the AFL to bring Heritage Round back, and over those years, I've designed many heritage jumpers. Until now I decided to redesign retro classics onto a modern template with current sponsors (give or take a few). Over the next few weeks, I'm determined to finish this portfolio, releasing the jumpers for each team, and then deciding who would play who, if Heritage Round were to return to the AFL calendar! This is a great celebration of our great game! Heritage Round Header.png

This portfolio was inspired by many that have come before it on Bigfooty, however, a large portion of it was inspired by Freight Train's Retro Round portfolio, with the structure of each round being one era. I'm going to try and cover as many as possible, varying from the nineties to the old VFA days of the 1880s!
The first era is the Sensational Seventies. I stole the name from the DVD, but we don't need to worry about that. I'll release the Victorian clubs first, then the Interstate clubs will follow, with a few controversial choices. It's time to go back to the Sensational Seventies!
Heritage Round - The Sensational Seventies.png

The first two are Brisbane and Richmond. The Lions donning the old Fitzroy jumpers of the mid-seventies with the old Lion forcing the sponsor to move below the logo for one week. I'm unsure as if this would happen, but St. Kilda managed to do it for many years so I guess anything's possible. The Tigers come out in their standard jumpers but with more gold instead of yellow, and no outline on the numbers. Both teams donning the collars, giving it a small sense of difference to the standard jumpers worn today. I decided to change the match from before, making Richmond the home team, giving the Brisbane fans in Victoria an opportunity to see their team in Roys jumpers in Victoria.
Richmond V Brisbane.png

Last edited:

Similar to my decision to make Brisbane play in Victoria in Fitzroy jumpers, Sydney will do the same, in the old South Melbourne jumpers in front of their Victorian fanbase. The Swans come out with their hooped vee. I was tossing up between it and the straight vee, but that's more synonymous with the Eighties, in my opinion anyway. I wanted to see Footscray wear their old jumpers with the red shorts. I tried to replicate their sock pattern of the seventies as well, I'm not too sure if I replicated it so well, but it's the best I could do. And yes, I call them Footscray.
Footscray V Sydney.png

This is the match I'm dubbing 'The Controversy Cup'. West Coast come out in the old Western Australia state jumper. While the Crows replace the SANFL logo with their monogram, and navy blue replaces the royal blue of the old South Australian state jumper. In my opinion, West Coast does have the right to wear an old state jumper as they were a composite side of the WAFL. West Coast also has four premierships, compared to Fremantle's none. If Freo had a premiership, maybe the dockers could have a leg to stand on, but they don't. I've never felt as though the Crows can wear a SA jumper. Yes, they too were a composite team for the SANFL, Port Adelaide has a lot more history, and has half the amount of premierships as the Crows do. However, I had no other idea for what the Crows could wear. I took inspiration for what they did to the 1930 SA jumper in 2005's heritage round. Putting their own monogram on there, paying homage to South Australian football, in their own right. That's what they do again in Seventies Round. With these jumper designs and choices, I became a hypocrite. But that's enough of me rambling on.
West Coast V Adelaide.png

This is the match I'm dubbing 'The Controversy Cup'. West Coast come out in the old Western Australia state jumper. While the Crows replace the SANFL logo with their monogram, and navy blue replaces the royal blue of the old South Australian state jumper. In my opinion, West Coast does have the right to wear an old state jumper as they were a composite side of the WAFL. West Coast also has four premierships, compared to Fremantle's none. If Freo had a premiership, maybe the dockers could have a leg to stand on, but they don't. I've never felt as though the Crows can wear a SA jumper. Yes, they too were a composite team for the SANFL, Port Adelaide has a lot more history, and has half the amount of premierships as the Crows do. However, I had no other idea for what the Crows could wear. I took inspiration for what they did to the 1930 SA jumper in 2005's heritage round. Putting their own monogram on there, paying homage to South Australian football, in their own right. That's what they do again in Seventies Round. With these jumper designs and choices, I became a hypocrite. But that's enough of me rambling on.
View attachment 707031
I was far too young when this happened to remember, but didn't West Coast wearing this jumper in 07 go down really badly with the Tigers?

I was far too young when this happened to remember, but didn't West Coast wearing this jumper in 07 go down really badly with the Tigers?

A. Did it?
B. Who cares if it did?

I'm going to omit both GWS and Gold Coast from this portfolio as they have pretty much no history. If this offends you then just make your own portfolio.
Faux back? Team GWS vs Gold Coast VFL :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why it should have. Richmond's black-sash-yellow-base clash didn't exist then and they were wearing that shitty yellow-back clash.

Just so two teams don't randomly have a bye during heritage round :p

EDIT: Just remembered this was "seventies", so it doesn't quite make sense.
Just chuck in a tripanel or something, that's what they probably would've worn.

Just so two teams don't randomly have a bye during heritage round :p

EDIT: Just remembered this was "seventies", so it doesn't quite make sense.
Just chuck in a tripanel or something, that's what they probably would've worn.
I have designed jumpers for both teams, it's just in my opinion they look ugly

Picking the Seventies as the first decade to cover seemed great, until I realized what I'd do for Melbourne. I love the royal blue, and after the Elimination Final last year, I bought the royal blue clash jumper. The problem with it is there's hardly any good memories from it considering we were shite. From what I remember, the vee seemed a lot more direct and straight than the current vee. Essendon's red shorts will always be my favourite look for them, and I loved how they'd wear red shorts against St Kilda in the mid-2000s. Although the fat sash jumper was ugly.
Essendon V Melbourne.png

Here you go caloschwaby Greater Western Sydney take on Gold Coast during Seventies Round in seventies inspired jumpers. If GWS had been in the AFL for as long as the Swans had been in Sydney, maybe they'd have the right to wear an old New South Wales state jumper. However, the jumper they do wear is heavily inspired by old New South Wales jumpers with orange instead of light blue, and charcoal playing the role of navy blue. I replaced the waratah logo with the Giants logo, similar to what I did for Adelaide, and putting light blue around the G as a nod to New South Wales. The Gold Coast one is really interesting, and I've dubbed it the 'Ronald Mcdonald stripes'. I took inspiration from old Southport jumpers, but since they looked practically identical to Collingwood, I changed the colours to those of the Suns. They'll probably wear the same for Eighties round, but I might make some Nineties 'style' jumpers. Hypothetical jumpers they may have worn if these teams existed in the past. I think I've seen designs on here before of the Giants jumper I'm thinking of adopting.
GWS V Gold Coast.png

Here you go caloschwaby Greater Western Sydney take on Gold Coast during Seventies Round in seventies inspired jumpers. If GWS had been in the AFL for as long as the Swans had been in Sydney, maybe they'd have the right to wear an old New South Wales state jumper. However, the jumper they do wear is heavily inspired by old New South Wales jumpers with orange instead of light blue, and charcoal playing the role of navy blue. I replaced the waratah logo with the Giants logo, similar to what I did for Adelaide, and putting light blue around the G as a nod to New South Wales. The Gold Coast one is really interesting, and I've dubbed it the 'Ronald Mcdonald stripes'. I took inspiration from old Southport jumpers, but since they looked practically identical to Collingwood, I changed the colours to those of the Suns. They'll probably wear the same for Eighties round, but I might make some Nineties 'style' jumpers. Hypothetical jumpers they may have worn if these teams existed in the past. I think I've seen designs on here before of the Giants jumper I'm thinking of adopting.
View attachment 707950
Love it. Even if it doesn't make a lot of sense I reckon this is a good crack at what their kits could've looked like.

I decided to go with the earlier seventies look for Hawthorn, as the all gold back is more synonymous with the eighties in my opinion. Freo stroll out in an old East Fremantle jumper, but without the old East Freo monogram.
Hawthorn V Fremantle.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back