News AFL integrity investigating phone use by JDG & Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of focus on Howe/DeGoey being "Stupid" for doing this. 2 players subbed out with injury, likely on meds and not thinking straight because they would be pinging with adrenaline etc...

The real problem is a duty of care by our own staff for not ensuring those two players are properly monitored and OK. Would have taken 1 person to come down to the rooms with them, watch them and then bring them back up to the bench so they could get changed and then relayed the message to their loved ones.

Yep it's a harsh line by AFL, yep gambling is too intrusive into the game, etc. etc. but rules are rules. If you think the AFL is bad, try going onto a building site and avoiding the rules. Good luck.

There is a real air of 'flat' energy around the club and I don't see the players as the only ones to blame for this.

A lot of focus on Howe/DeGoey being "Stupid" for doing this. 2 players subbed out with injury, likely on meds and not thinking straight because they would be pinging with adrenaline etc...

The real problem is a duty of care by our own staff for not ensuring those two players are properly monitored and OK. Would have taken 1 person to come down to the rooms with them, watch them and then bring them back up to the bench so they could get changed and then relayed the message to their loved ones.

Yep it's a harsh line by AFL, yep gambling is too intrusive into the game, etc. etc. but rules are rules. If you think the AFL is bad, try going onto a building site and avoiding the rules. Good luck.

There is a real air of 'flat' energy around the club and I don't see the players as the only ones to blame for this.
The coaching and management are to blame

would I be supportive of initiatives like this? Like what? Advertising restrictions?

You said we should take action against gambling, why not bigger social issues that do way more harm?

do you think kids now are eating healthier than they were 15 years ago? Also I’m pretty sure I see junk food advertised 24/7

Advertising restrictions, no in-game betting...

Great idea!

I believe there is a greater awareness and level of education about responsible food choices.

Key difference with that example is the majority of building regulations are concerned with individuals safety and wellbeing at the expense of the corporation. This "rule" about phones is protecting the interests of a commercial party at the expense of the individual.

Alcohol and fatty foods / sugary drinks kill a LOT LOT more people than gambling, should we ban all of those too?

I think a better method is to tax the products and use the taxes to pay for the hospitals to treat the damage these products cause. User pays.

I kind of like the idea of governments using money from gambling to fund government activities. Gambling sort of becomes a form of voluntary taxation. I like the idea a lot because I dont gamble and wouldnt be taxed.

By the way, the CEO of bet365 got a salary of about $800 million dollars last year.....no typo.... gamblers should be renamed chumps

there are already advertising restrictions...? If people can’t bet during the game they’ll bet before it

They don't apply to sports broadcasts after 8 pm in Australia.

‘An eight-year-old watching AFL footy today will have never seen a game without gambling ads.’
Lead researcher, Samantha Thomas

They don't apply to sports broadcasts after 8 pm in Australia.

‘An eight-year-old watching AFL footy today will have never seen a game without gambling ads.’
Lead researcher, Samantha Thomas

most of the gambling ads are pitched to either kids or people of low IQ..... although I must admit the olympics for parking utes is riveting...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m convinced the entire club needs to be sacked and we need to start again. How ******* dumb can we be? Honestly...

Maybe we’re the star of a new reality TV show like “The Mole” but it’s the exact same TV show just someone behind the scenes sabotaging a club.

Key difference with that example is the majority of building regulations are concerned with individuals safety and wellbeing at the expense of the corporation. This "rule" about phones is protecting the interests of a commercial party at the expense of the individual.

It's actually primarily about protecting the integrity of the competition, and by extension, the competition itself.

If the club was competent and professional, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.
It’s not the AFL’s fault. There are rules which the clubs are to abide by. I think this is more a poor reflection of the club and its administration than anything else.

We need a President in a hurry and a strong one at that. It’s evident the club has fallen way behind the others and totally rudderless.

If the club was competent and professional, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.
It’s not the AFL’s fault. There are rules which the clubs are to abide by. I think this is more a poor reflection of the club and its administration than anything else.

We need a President in a hurry and a strong one at that. It’s evident the club has fallen way behind the others and totally rudderless.
With all due respect, we are dealing with grown ass men that know not to touch their phones from siren to siren. The Club should not have to lock up up their phones, just keep them visible so it can't be said someone used their phone.

I do agree with the President concept, one of those would be good. An Eddie at the helm is better than no one at the Helm IMHO

Do you think every time a player is knocked out and/or comes off with a serious injury that their families are not told about how they are going until after the game? No. They are kept informed by someone at the club registered to use their phone. This should be no different.

And I should add if you thought Shaw, Stephenson and whoever else has been caught betting on games are the only ones, I’m afraid you are very wrong.

It may well be the more serious stuff actually compromising the result of games in the past has been kept hidden to protect the integrity of the national game.....

With all due respect, we are dealing with grown ass men that know not to touch their phones from siren to siren. The Club should not have to lock up up their phones, just keep them visible so it can't be said someone used their phone.

I do agree with the President concept, one of those would be good. An Eddie at the helm is better than no one at the Helm IMHO
But the club does lock them up. I believe it may be a requirement. Pendles came out and said it usually is but the guy responsible didnt fly with them to Perth. So no-one Elise at the club was familiar with the regulations? That’s an administrative issue.

But the club does lock them up. I believe it may be a requirement. Pendles came out and said it usually is but the guy responsible didnt fly with them to Perth. So no-one Elise at the club was familiar with the regulations? That’s an administrative issue.
Nick Maxwell being there or not should be irrelevant. They (the players) know why the phones go in the box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back