AFL Internal Club Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What I think the AFL's internal club rankings are ie their importance to the competition in terms of TV rights, crowds, interest, health of the league, TV rights, Money, TV rights, who is dispensible, growth of the game, TV rights...

1. Collingwood
2. Sydney
3. Essendon
4. West Coast
5. Adelaide
6. Brisbane
7. Carlton
8. Hawthorn
9. Richmond (ha, I didn't even do that intentionally)
10. Fremantle
11. Geelong
12. St Kilda
13. Port Adelaide
14. Western Bulldogs
15. Melbourne
16. North

No GWS/GC as too hard to judge at this stage.

What I think the AFL's internal club rankings are ie their importance to the competition in terms of TV rights, crowds, interest, health of the league, TV rights, Money, TV rights, who is dispensible, growth of the game, TV rights...

1. Collingwood
2. Sydney
3. Essendon
4. West Coast
5. Adelaide
6. Brisbane
7. Carlton
8. Hawthorn
10. Fremantle
11. Geelong
12. St Kilda
13. Port Adelaide
14. Western Bulldogs
15. Melbourne
16. North

Essendon 3rd is a bit rich, there's nothing seperating Ess, Carl and Rich all have huge TV following, if it's on current form then Rich and Ess would be below Carlton, but if we're talking about clubs the AFL would like to be successful then Richmond, Essendon and Carlton would be as big as Collingwood if they were playing finals.

Collingwood made themselves important through Eddie...15 years ago we were heading down a very very different path...

AFL didn't chose to make Collingwood/Essendon/West Coast/Carlton/Richmond important...they did it themselves (whereas Sydney do need importance so they can capture the market)

The big 4 are actually less of a worry for them.
ie, they could do absolutely nothing for Blues/Rich/Coll/Ess & they'd still have a big following & decent financials, and hence still have the opportunity to put together good sides.
If they're up & going they'll be more than happy to rake in the profits but they won't look after a struggling big 4 side like they will a struggling North or Dogs IMHO, let alone a Syd/Bris or a newbie like GC.

If a club was to fall over tomorrow, a Coll/Ess/Carl/Rich or Crows/Freo/Eagles would lead to more people dropping off than others though IMHO.

They've put themselves in an odd spot because they're both administrator & financial support net.

What a stupid thread. This is more of the calibre of the first time poster topics. It is just going to cause trolling of "which team do you support" comments.

Brisbane, Sydney, West Coast and Adelaide are all cornerstones for a national game. I'm not sure any Victorian club would rank higher. If Collingwood were struggling the game would still be in good shape. Collingwood still factor highly however because of their healthy rivalries with all the major interstate clubs. They would round out the top 5 for sure.

Interesting thread :thumbsu:

I don't think its hard at all to judge the importance of GC and GWS to the AFL. I'd have it as:

1. Gold Coast (GWS to take the number one spot next year)
2. GWS
3. Any of Carlton/collingwood/essendon/richmond
7. hawthorn. They have a big stake in Tassie, and I don't have them higher solely because Tassie doesn't seem all that important to the AFL atm. I can see them flying up in the coming years though
8. Any of wce/freo/syd/brisbane/port/adel
14. melbourne. Have a small stake in the NT. Will become crucial later on down the track.
15. bulldogs. Have a small stake in the ACT, As above.
16. geelong. An integral hub for regional supporters. But I think the club is more important to the town of Geelong than it is to the AFL.
17. st kilda. Did have ties to Tassie, but the club seems concerned with getting a flag before its too late than to improve the AFLs standing.
18. north. trying their best to build ties with western Victoria and Tassie. If they can pull it off, their standing will no doubt improve.

So basically, I've set my ladder up as:

(new expansion teams)
(the foundation of support in Vic)
(the club currently overseeing the Tas project/development)
(the original AFL expansion teams)
(clubs who have a small foot hold in new markets that are continuing to set the AFL up for further expansion)
(the rest of the Vic clubs)

As I was getting further down the list, I realised there's not much in it in my eyes. They all seem "equal", but just that some are more equal than others.

Collingwood made themselves important through Eddie...15 years ago we were heading down a very very different path...

AFL didn't chose to make Collingwood/Essendon/West Coast/Carlton/Richmond important...they did it themselves (whereas Sydney do need importance so they can capture the market)
I think all the "big 4"* are entrenched enough & have enough good people amongst their supporters that they will, eventually, rise out of just about anything.
If it wasn't Eddie leading you up from '96 through to '02 when you got back into finals in a big way again, it would've been someone else sooner or later.

*NB term is used in the accepted form and I don't really care for any Hawk supporter bitching along "Hawks >>> Richmond" lines

It took until post number 3 for a Richmond supporter to try and prove his club hasn't been irrelevant for 30 years.

"But, but, but I swear. Once we get good again, we will be important"

FFS, YOU HAVEN'T BEEN RELEVANT FOR 30 YEARS

Im pretty sure i read somewhere that St.Kilda were the 2nd most watched team on tv last year in which case you are very wrong with where you have us

It's not based on onfield success.

It starts with it though.

Would you rather watch West Coast vs Brisbane or Geelong vs St Kilda?

Interest, crowds, health of the game, tv rights......more people would rather the later two then the first two atm, no?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think all the "big 4"* are entrenched enough & have enough good people amongst their supporters that they will, eventually, rise out of just about anything.
If it wasn't Eddie leading you up from '96 through to '02 when you got back into finals in a big way again, it would've been someone else sooner or later.

*NB term is used in the accepted form and I don't really care for any Hawk supporter bitching along "Hawks >>> Richmond" lines

Mate the AFL had to give bucketloads of money to Carlton for them to stave off bankruptcy. They weren't going to save themselves.

1. Collingwood
2. Sydney
3. Essendon
4. West Coast
5. Adelaide
6. Brisbane
7. Carlton
8. Geelong
10. Fremantle
11. Melbourne
12. Hawthorn
13. St Kilda
14. Port Adelaide
15. Western Bulldogs
16. North

You were close IMO

Call me paranoid but certain AFL elements would still dance on hawthorn's grave if they got a chance to.
Wanting to snatch tasmania and give it to north sort of confirmed this.

Melbourne higher because it was going to be "melbourne hawks" - Gotta have a team called "melbourne, old chap !

Geelong and carlton high because they got helped out of much deeper doodo than fitzroy were in.

Let me point out that the Hawks should be pushing top 5 or so - on performance, but i doubt the AFL will ever see that

Interest, crowds, health of the game, tv rights......more people would rather the later two then the first two atm, no?

west coast have their membership at maximum capacity and share a state that could literally break away and form its own country with only one other team.

brisbane have a huge market that until recently was all theirs, and are integral to ensuring the off field success of gold coast via a new rivalry that will improve interest in the lions by extension.

Regardless of what you feel would be a better quality of game to watch, more people would be watching the bris/wc game.

But if there was no West Coast or Brisbane, there would be virtually no one watching the AFL in Brisbane and significantly less in Perth. ie If we just had the old VFL telecast into our living rooms, just watching Vic teams, with no local teams do you actually think the interest in the game would be that high outside Victoria? This is their value - TV rights and in Brisbane's case especially opening up new markets and new consumers.

Mate the AFL had to give bucketloads of money to Carlton for them to stave off bankruptcy. They weren't going to save themselves.

The millions were to pay for the grandstand newly completed when the AFL shifted all matches to Etihad. Its usually called compensation. And none of it was helped by the fine.

1. Collingwood
2. Sydney
3. Essendon
4. West Coast
5. Adelaide
6. Brisbane
7. Carlton
8. Hawthorn
10. Fremantle
11. Geelong
12. St Kilda
13. Port Adelaide
14. Western Bulldogs
15. Melbourne
16. North

I know you didnt want to because you support them, but Port should be in the bottom 2 rungs. Melbourne are much much more important to the afl than port.

Bulldogs are the only team in Melbourne's west, the largest growing area in Melbourne. Being a multicultural area full of people new to Australia, they have the potential to garner much more supporters to the game, thus putting money in the AFL's pockets.

They also have a stake in Darwin and Canberra.

Don't think they are that low on the ladder in terms of importance to the AFL.

Adelaide and WCE are bomb proof.

Port and Freo are probably self sustaining except in the case of several rotten years and the AFL won't worry too much about them.

Brissy and Sydney are vitally important and will be kept close to the AFL heart.

New teams will be mothered and coddled.

North might just be targetted. Hopefully not. Otherwise the Vic clubs will be let get on with it. All are self sustaining except in bad runs where assistance can be given and should be given if necessary and unavoidable. This is a sport.

I know you didnt want to because you support them, but Port should be in the bottom 2 rungs. Melbourne are much much more important to the afl than port.

Totally disagree. Melbourne, probably after North, the most expendable team in the league. They are very much a 'meh' team in the Vic market and have virtually no profile outside President's fight for life, tin rattling, might have a good team due to tanking for the 3rd time in the last 50 years. I always hear this arguement that Melbourne were the first team, or they "invented" football, or they could never die because they are called "Melbourne" - all pretty much weak and don't actually get bums on seats, interest or money in the bank. Melbourne should never have got themselves in this position though, they were actually the most powerful club in the country 50 years ago, but have totally frittered it away. Maybe that's why no body respects or cares for them anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back