AFL introducing mid-season rookie draft in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Will it work when done in reverse order though? Lets say the top team desperately need a ruckman and a very good ruck is available, wouldn't a team that doesn't need a ruck at all just take him to stop the higher team getting him, even though they have no intention of playing him.

Teams don't do that in the draft so I don't think they would do that in the rookie draft.

Will it work when done in reverse order though? Lets say the top team desperately need a ruckman and a very good ruck is available, wouldn't a team that doesn't need a ruck at all just take him to stop the higher team getting him, even though they have no intention of playing him.

AFL have said the picks would be applied in reverse ladder order so yeah it would play out as you've said.

Wouldn't stop the clubs agreeing to a deal though, they could always trade picks in the end-of-season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bear in mind, it's only available to clubs who enter the season with available list spots who'll be able to draft

Cool, so more highly sought after players that will end up at the Saints, Carlton or Gold Coast.

Yay, I guess?

:/

Not really. It dilutes the value of them being able to list state league players at the end of the season if every other club picks the eyes out of that group mid season. They will get first pick based on a reverse ladder position but everyone else will get a shot after it before they can take a second.

I thought it would be a positive to most. Teams decimated by injury can top up and it's another pathway for players to make an AFL list. It would've been handy for us this year to recruit another ruck mid-season.

So if your Subiaco for example, and are in the hunt for the flag and one of your players is killing it, he can suddenly be poached in round 11 by any team in the AFL?

Not that I care, but I can see how others would be peeved.

And what a shock to that player. I assume that these players would be drafted as top up players to cover injuries, so they'd be expected to play straight away yes? Been playing AFL in slow motion all year with a state league pre-season into him, then BAM, turbo mode going up against massive bodies at top speed. Could see him getting steam rolled.

Last edited:
So if your Subiaco for example, and are in the hunt for the flag and one of your players is killing it, he can suddenly be poached in round 11 by any team in the AFL?

And what a shock to that player. I assume that these players would be drafted as top up players to cover injuries, so they'd be expected to play straight away yes? Been playing AFL in slow motion all year with a state league pre-season into him, then BAM, turbo mode going up against massive bodies at top speed. Could see him getting steam rolled.
We've had first year players come in and play straight from junior football but with an AFL pre-season I'll concede. If they're good enough they'll adapt.

I read the SANFL's comments and get their concerns. They put the effort and resources into a player and the AFL gets to cherry pick their best.

Isn't list management an important aspect of successful clubs?

Also, I know there won't be any (many?) that knock it back, but abruptly moving, potentially interstate, on a rookie salary mid year isn't exactly the most generous of arrangements

Is it really that much different to a gun player for East Perth getting played by West Coast?

It seems like a great deal for the players, probably terrible for the standalone state league clubs like Subi though. Not that the AFL really cares about state leagues though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back