AFL is on the decline - the younger generation is just not that into you

Remove this Banner Ad

lol
Man, if your a right...
We are doomed to hell. Shut the doors. Its over.
One of the reasons soccer is so popular is because it has a high quality digital platform, FIFA (or Pro Evo). Kids In the school yard talk about the teams they have made etc.

The game of AFL is way too complicated to ever make a high quality game about. The rules and way the game is played won’t allow it to be made to a top quality. Also there is almost no money in it for the developer because of the super small market.

This argument to me reminds me of last years Yes or No vote. The conservatives on one side with “don’t change the rules the games is as great as it ever was” however they seem to be the monitory but the most vocal and on the the other side “the football lefty’s” who actually are the majority just not as vocal that are embracing change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This argument to me reminds me of last years Yes or No vote. The conservatives on one side with “don’t change the rules the games is as great as it ever was” however they seem to be the monitory but the most vocal and on the the other side “the football lefty’s” who actually are the majority just not as vocal that are embracing change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonsense

If anything the best analogy is between the US right and alt-right

There are the "leave the bloody game along" small government anti-interventionists up against the "make 'merica great again" who pine for some yesterday that they think can be strong armed into happening again

Nonsense

If anything the best analogy is between the US right and alt-right

There are the "leave the bloody game along" small government anti-interventionists up against the "make 'merica great again" who pine for some yesterday that they think can be strong armed into happening again

The game was great before the AFL started to interfere in it 25 years ago. The only change in the last 25 years that has made the game better is being able to bring the ball back into play after a behind is kicked without waiting for the goal umpire to waive the flags.
The offset of that is it is the one rule change that made the game quicker than ever, left the players with little time for rest and started a parody of rule changes that have never stopped trying to fix something that was never broken.
The game was loved and supported 25 years ago and no one had any issue with it. Change for the sake of change has kept the AFL chasing its tale and it doesn't look like they will ever sort it out now.

On Seven this season, the national combined ratings average per game is 1.579m, down from 2.03m on Ten last season. This is partially, but not entirely made up with an average Fox figure of 485,000 per game. Estimated shortfall in terrestrial ratings approx 4.4 million.

On Seven this season, the national combined ratings average per game is 1.579m, down from 2.03m on Ten last season. This is partially, but not entirely made up with an average Fox figure of 485,000 per game. Estimated shortfall in terrestrial ratings approx 4.4 million.
Ten haven't had the football since 2010ish

Can you even maths?

The game was great before the AFL started to interfere in it 25 years ago. The only change in the last 25 years that has made the game better is being able to bring the ball back into play after a behind is kicked without waiting for the goal umpire to waive the flags.
The offset of that is it is the one rule change that made the game quicker than ever, left the players with little time for rest and started a parody of rule changes that have never stopped trying to fix something that was never broken.
The game was loved and supported 25 years ago and no one had any issue with it. Change for the sake of change has kept the AFL chasing its tale and it doesn't look like they will ever sort it out now.

The game is better now, but the constant changes have arguably made that improvement sit at around a 5% as opposed to 25% on an enjoyment scale. Changes are certainly warranted and nothing can survive without evolving, but the real issue lies in the new rules being introduced (i'm looking at the third man up) that nobody ever really asked for.

The game is better now, but the constant changes have arguably made that improvement sit at around a 5% as opposed to 25% on an enjoyment scale. Changes are certainly warranted and nothing can survive without evolving, but the real issue lies in the new rules being introduced (i'm looking at the third man up) that nobody ever really asked for.

Better is in the eye of the beholder. I don’t think it’s any better.
The sport would of naturally evolved as it always had without rules needing to be changed.
The players would still of become professional, fitter, stronger,faster etc playing under the rules of 1990.
Changing the rules is changing the game not evolving the game. Evolution does not need rule changes.

I grew up playing footy and cricket, always thought my kids would do the same, my boy plays footy and basketball (does little aths as well), very talented at all yet still very young, if and when it's time to make a decision i'm going to push him towards basketball, especially now the NBL has got its act together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all those here confused by this post - it refers to the BBL, not the AFL. It has nothing to do with the AFL and shouldn't have been posted in this thread.

i know for me personally i dont watch half as much footy as i used to outside of my own team based a lot on the fact i cant stand the coverage channel 7 dish up ... unless its my team (and it never is) playing on Friday night i wont watch friday night footy and Saturday night footy aint much better ... if they got rid of the fake blokey bloke BT Richo Darce rubbish and put in comentators who can actually call the game not make it about themselves we might get somewhere

i know for me personally i dont watch half as much footy as i used to outside of my own team based a lot on the fact i cant stand the coverage channel 7 dish up ... unless its my team (and it never is) playing on Friday night i wont watch friday night footy and Saturday night footy aint much better ... if they got rid of the fake blokey bloke BT Richo Darce rubbish and put in comentators who can actually call the game not make it about themselves we might get somewhere

I think their is an awful lot of truth in this post.

Call me old fashioned but I liked it when the commentators use to call the actual game. Now days they appear to just want to stroke themselves into a personal frenzy all the time. They're just willy wonkas about themselves & co-callers.

One just gets sick of their BS.

I'm also confused how 1.579 + 0.485 equals 4.4 million less then 2.03
I think it’s because there have been games only shown on Fox. They may have averaged say 600k. Makes the Fox avg higher than what the avg is during the dual screened games and overall viewership avg per game could be lower. Although I imagine the difference on last seasons averages compared to seven plus fox broadcast games would be very small.
The 4.4 million less viewers is sort of irrelevant without putting it into context.

I grew up playing footy and cricket, always thought my kids would do the same, my boy plays footy and basketball (does little aths as well), very talented at all yet still very young, if and when it's time to make a decision i'm going to push him towards basketball, especially now the NBL has got its act together.

Tragedy

Basketball is awful

We just had Richmond and Western Bulldogs end their Premiership droughts in the past 2 years.

Before that we had Sydney, Richmond, Bulldogs, St Kilda, Brisbane, Fitzroy as constant easy beats or at least never in contention.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
What a complete overstatement this is. In fact it is completely wrong.

What time frame are you using ?

Before 2016 Brisbane won three in a row, Stkilda played in 3 grand finals since 97 amongst quite a few other finals. Sydney won two flags, and the Bulldogs played in 7 prelims in 25 years.

So these teams were hardly “easy beats and never in contention”

People romanticise their youth.

The late Drew Morphett had that rewind to “The Winners” around three years ago which basically played replays of late seventies and early 80s games.

People who say footy was more popular and more exiting in the 80s are speaking rubbish.

I remember on one episode they had a game between Collingwood and Hawthorn in the mid 80s at Princess Park.

Seriously the ground was half empty, it was played in a mud heap, and seemed to be being played in slow motion in comparison to 2018. Imagine if 15,000 people turned up to a Collingwood v Hawthorn games in 2019.

This is one example but I can’t be stuffed going through them all.

The late Drew Morphett had that rewind to “The Winners” around three years ago which basically played replays of late seventies and early 80s games.

People who say footy was more popular and more exiting in the 80s are speaking rubbish.

I remember on one episode they had a game between Collingwood and Hawthorn in the mid 80s at Princess Park.

Seriously the ground was half empty, it was played in a mud heap, and seemed to be being played in slow motion in comparison to 2018. Imagine if 15,000 people turned up to a Collingwood v Hawthorn games in 2019.

I recall mid 80s boundary umpires having to fetch ball themselves

I think it’s because there have been games only shown on Fox. They may have averaged say 600k. Makes the Fox avg higher than what the avg is during the dual screened games and overall viewership avg per game could be lower. Although I imagine the difference on last seasons averages compared to seven plus fox broadcast games would be very small.
The 4.4 million less viewers is sort of irrelevant without putting it into context.
That doesn’t solve his horrendous maths skills at all. Or that he mentioned channel 10.

Yeah but blokes got to belt blokes from behind and have a dart straight after the game so FOOTY WAS BETTER!!11!

The game was great before the AFL started to interfere in it 25 years ago.

If you say that the AFL is the 18 clubs, then yes, the AFL in the form of AFL coaches have changed the way the game is played. The AFL commission has changed some laws in reaction to the way the game is coached.
There have been few major changes. The centre diamond/square was brought in to counter the 'numbers at the ball' philosophy which was caused congestion and still is. The starting new positions will have the same zero effect once play has developed.
The free kick for 'out-of-bounds-on-the-full' was brought in to counter kicking to wind down the clock. It was brought in admit a lot of derision but quickly was accepted as a natural part of the game. It's surprising that the AFL didn't go ahead with a free kick for any kick-out-of-bounds as that was certain to alleviate congestion to a degree. That would not be a rule change but rather a reversion to an older law as well as a reduction in the number of laws.

The only change in the last 25 years that has made the game better is being able to bring the ball back into play after a behind is kicked without waiting for the goal umpire to waive the flags.

Gaelic Football precipitated that change and it was marginal in effect. It did not improve football, but help propagate the trend to rebound basketball. If the AFL really wanted to improve rebound football then they would have replaced a convoluted kick-in system with a free kick 15m from goal. If the AFL wanted to reduce rebound football then they could make a goal any ball that goes between the two big posts.

Australian Rules at the highest level is generally on par or better than footy 25+ years ago.

The thing that ruins it is commentators giving us 3 sentences of per play, many of which are dedicated to calls on the same old '<insert smartarse overweight commentator> eating more than the <insert smartarse slightly less overweight commentator> earlier in the broadcast - followed by laboured in-joke + forces laughter'.

It was barely amusing or interesting 10 years ago.

Today, nobody relates & nobody GAF.

I think their is an awful lot of truth in this post.

Call me old fashioned but I liked it when the commentators use to call the actual game. Now days they appear to just want to stroke themselves into a personal frenzy all the time. They're just willy wonkas about themselves & co-callers.

One just gets sick of their BS.

I don't mind BT,Richo,Ling,Carey just get Jason Bennet to replace Bruce also like Adam Papalia but he's tied to Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back