AFL is on the decline - the younger generation is just not that into you

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure this ‘my kids aren’t as into it as I was’ thing would be a common theme across all sporting leagues around the world. As a youngster first introduced to footy in the 90s we had four TV channels, no internet, and pretty basic video games. Compare that to now. There’s so much more competing for kids’ attention these days.
The game will never be followed like it was in the past... three game memberships are a reflection of that.

AFL needs to incorporate more superhero, comic book and Harry Potter-related themes into the game to make it more attractive to anyone born after 1993.

AFL needs to incorporate more superhero, comic book and Harry Potter-related themes into the game to make it more attractive to anyone born after 1993.

The Deadpool round where every player is allowed to troll the umpire, goal umpire or just BT during roaming Brian!!

Nah if these kids don’t like it, conscript them into National Service for 3 years...that’ll bloody well learn them..

Nah if these kids don’t like it, conscript them into National Service for 3 years...that’ll bloody well learn them..

I look at teenagers now and would gladly consent to having my taxes be spent on outback gulags where they can be interred and taught how to live without their stupid phone, iPads and Star Wars/Superhero nerd dork crap.

TV rights and three game memberships do not mean the young generation are that into aussie rules football these days. I dont blame them either its a pretty average sport these days
Cant comment on traditional states but grassroots are at record levels in the Northern states.
That coupled with record crowds, memberships and tv for the comp tells me we arent in trouble yet.
Or even close.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Footy is a luxury for Young people, for a gen y couple with 2 season memberships it is around $800... now with massive Tv screens, it being Live and cheap food and beer at home, its smarter financially to stay home.
Also doesnt help that Carlton still get friday and Saturday night games.... The AFL just announced that both Showdowns were in the top 5 games of the year. It's stupid that its never been a Friday night game and once again its copped the Sat arvo slot

I know for a fact that teenagers are dropping off AFL at a rapid rate. The AFL quote rubbish figures swayed to make the numbers glow. This has been happening for years. Mark Jackson may be a buffoon to many, mainly as a result of his interview with Mike Sheehan. But he was absolutely 100% spot on when he spoke about the game dying. At grass roots, it is almost stuffed beyond repair. Those who think otherwise probably also believe the UN are straight up too. The game at the top looks fine, below it is a different story. What the AFL ignore is the fact we have nothing "internationally" to fall back on. The AFL run the code like it is an international sport. Their ignorance will bite them hard, give it time.

I know for a fact that teenagers are dropping off AFL at a rapid rate. The AFL quote rubbish figures swayed to make the numbers glow. This has been happening for years. Mark Jackson may be a buffoon to many, mainly as a result of his interview with Mike Sheehan. But he was absolutely 100% spot on when he spoke about the game dying. At grass roots, it is almost stuffed beyond repair. Those who think otherwise probably also believe the UN are straight up too. The game at the top looks fine, below it is a different story. What the AFL ignore is the fact we have nothing "internationally" to fall back on. The AFL run the code like it is an international sport. Their ignorance will bite them hard, give it time.

No, you don't.

This is one of the least coherent posts I've read

I know for a fact that teenagers are dropping off AFL at a rapid rate

How do you know this "for a fact"?

The AFL quote rubbish figures swayed to make the numbers glow.

Like what?

Financial figures that are subjected to legal audit?

Attendance figures that are undeniable?

Participation figures that are backed up by the government's ausplay survey?

This has been happening for years.

OK

Mark Jackson may be a buffoon to many, mainly as a result of his interview with Mike Sheehan. But he was absolutely 100% spot on when he spoke about the game dying.

Well if Mark Jackson says so....

At grass roots, it is almost stuffed beyond repair.

If you say so

Those who think otherwise probably also believe the UN are straight up too.

....and this is probably at once the least coherent and the most telling comment in your rant. The UN??!??

What the AFL ignore is the fact we have nothing "internationally" to fall back on.

What does that even mean? Are you saying the AFL should be trying to expand internationally so they can "fall back on" that?

The AFL run the code like it is an international sport.

In what way? In the way that they have poured massive resources into NSW and QLD to cement it as the national sport?

Their ignorance will bite them hard, give it time

Well I am still completely ignorant of what your argument is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im involved in football at that level you clown. I know boys between the ages of 16-18 are losing interest once they cant break into the state league colts system. They are nuts about NBA more than they are AFL. One note, in one of my boys teams they can barely make up 16 players and had to forfeit 4 games last year. In his group of 16 players, only 4 watch AFL regularly. The rest dont even watch it. So I am quoting first hand knowledge. Thanks for picking out all your points of sweet f/all. You are a dead set wannabee hero. You can go back to your office next to Gil and insert that nose of yours right up his date.

Im involved in football at that level you clown. I know boys between the ages of 16-18 are losing interest once they cant break into the state league colts system. They are nuts about NBA more than they are AFL. One note, in one of my boys teams they can barely make up 16 players and had to forfeit 4 games last year. In his group of 16 players, only 4 watch AFL regularly. The rest dont even watch it. So I am quoting first hand knowledge. Thanks for picking out all your points of sweet f/all. You are a dead set wannabee hero. You can go back to your office next to Gil and insert that nose of yours right up his date.

You are using anecdotal evidence, if you understood debating you would realise how utterly stupid and useless that kind of evidence is.

It doesn't mean s**t if a few people you know care about the NBA more than AFL, show stats that proof AFL is on the decline over the past 5 years. Are Crowds down? Are ratings down?

Garbage.
Out and out garbage.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I heard the UN are using mind control to make kids like the NBA. They are targeting kids that are not quite up to AFL pathways standard

so really you know "for a fact" that in your local level boys who can't get into colts lose interest in the sport?

this is not a new development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back