AFL isn't as good as the English Premier League

Remove this Banner Ad

geelong4eva

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2000
australia
There is so much more excitement in the Premier league than the AFL i mean, the relegation/promotion battle in all divisions, the exciting chase for champions, then the top 3 spots for Champions League, the FA cup, worthington cup, etc plus controversial player transfers, this league has got it all. I would much rather watch the silky smooth skills of a Harry Kewell or a Alan Shearer than the dull boring kicking of matthew lloyd or James Hird. Wayne Carey of course is the Ronaldo of the AFL, except that Ronaldo plays in that silly amateur italian league at the moment, except he's done a knee so he's gone for the year. but you know what i'm talking about ?

Alan Shearer, once a great player, is now a hack following his ankle problems and has been carried by the English National team since the World Cup. Sure he had an OK domestic season (was well fed by Newcastle's midfield) but is woeful these days on the International stage.

The Premier League is an embarrassing cash-grab of joke designed to drain what ever measily cash fans don't have (£50 for a replica shirt that cost £.45p to make in Taiwan) - £500pa minimum for season tickets to watch a comp that either Man U or Arsenal are going to win every year.

The title race has been over for 5 months (so who cares). Europe, other than the top automatic two spots for the Champions league, is a made for TV - soulless Corporate joke. Can you tell me the point of the UEFA cup? (don't get me wrong I still hope we get up tonight) but its a cynical joke. What is the point of the Worthington (League) Cup? Its a joke. Thank God the AFL doesn't do all this crap - the Ansett Cup is bad enough.

Serie A and The Premiership are both in trouble because they are not playing enough locals to build decent National sides - that's why the Italians are relying on an Australian striker. Trust me, there is plenty in the English and Italian press that is critical of the two biggest soccer leagues in the world.

Harry Kewell is genuinely exciting but no more so that Michael Long, Mark Mercuri, or James Hird. Boring???? You are either taking the piss or very, very dim.

If you don't like AFL so much them leave this site - you won't be missed - particularly by cat fans.

you are really narrow minded Dutchman i'm actually a Leeds supporter (a passionate one at that) but i resent you saying that Shearer is past his prime. He still is a valuable player for Newcastle and i reckon that Newcastle could finish in the top 5 next season if shearer fires and stays healthy. also comparing the talents of Long and Mercuri to Kewell is bull s**t, i'm sure that Harry has much more skill than either bomber star and you can quote me on that. Michael Bridges and Lee Bowyer as well, and Nigel Martyn is a much better defender than Dustin Fletcher

There is no doubting the appeal of the worlds game. It's so simple to understand and a great sport to follow.

However, as a spectator sport, give me Australian Football anyday. Soccer can, at times be frustrating to watch. Australian Football, I actually read somewhere is actually the highest attended sport in the WORLD per capita.

What this means, is despite being only played in one country with 20 million, the attendances that are acheived in that market are greater than soccer TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE POPULATION OF AUSTRALIA. Its kinda hard to explain, but you get my drift.

Problem with the premier league as Dutch put is it has become predictable.

The only thing that makes it better than AFL, is the race for the premiership. ManU knows that every win they have is one win closer to securing top spot.

As for the AFL, every win Essendon has means nothing unless they win the FA CUP equivalent....the Grand Final.

I say FA CUP equivalent, because like the FA CUP, the Grand Final is the last match of the season. It is held after top spot has been secured. It is the conclusion of the season.

But soccer got it right. If a team wins the FA Cup, they are not champions of the whole season (eg Chelsea will not win the premiership if they win this week in the FA Cup). They are just champions of the FA Cup tournament. That's it.

Just lke the winner of the AFL Grand Final should only be the champions of the 4 week finals series tournament. No more.

Apart from that obviously basic flaw, the AFL is much beter than English Premier League. Just as traditional, more unpredictable, and a better spectator sport. Unfortunately, it is only played here in Australia.

I could just see everyone cringe when they saw this topic. I can just see everyone going : "Here we go....another chance for Dan24 to spread his FA CUP/Top spot/ Seperate tournament gospel"

Too right !

At least I've got a mind to be narrow-minded with!

1. For Newcastle to be top 5 they'll need some defenders and more options up front. They'll rely heavily on Dyer and Speed and... auoerghv/e;rg sorry.. I fell asleep and my head hit the keyboard

2. I've got plenty of time for Leeds - although I wouldn't want to be a non-Anglo Saxon in Yorkshire...

3. HOW can you resent me sayign that Shearer is past his prime? HE IS. FULL STOP. GET OVER IT! EVEN HE KNOWS IT AND IS RETIRING AFTER EURO 2000... jesus wept...

4. I (and I'm sure I'm not along) couldn't work out how someone called Geelong4Eva could start a topic called "Geelong should play St Kilda for the Hand-baggers cup". Now I get - you're English aren't you? You sound like you know more about Leeds than the Cats... that would explain it???

5. Kewell is great but I'd like to see ol' Harry do all that clever stuff while getting broken ribs from a nice hip and shoulder from Chad Rintoul... or taking any hits whatsoever. i.e. it is madness to suggest one is more talented than the other becuase what they have to deal with in opposition is totally, totally different.

Michael Bridges and Lee Bowyer - yep, quality England regulars I see... "One Tony Adams...."

Nigel Martyn is a much better defender than Dustin Fletcher - you idiot! Reckon Fletch'd be a pretty good goalkeeper (Schmichel-esque with that reach). But I can't imagine Nige restricting Carey to three kicks and no goals... can you????

I don't know much about the Premier league, so I'll keep this real short.
The amount of money involved in that single Soccer competition is ridiculous! No person should earn that much money a year just for playing sport. If only part of those wages (and those darned transfer fees, I find the notion of 'buying people' horrible) were used to develop other sporting pursuits, they might have a half-decent cricket, rugby or swimming team.... Or perhaps put back into the economy..... or used to help those crappy housing estates....

Hey! This forum is for Australian Football. Stop talking about bloody soccer!
mad.gif

Since my other team also dominated the eighties all im asking is for a fit M.Owen and R.Fowler.

Not to much to ask

ps Dutch the Orient? I dont even know who plays for them anymore but I had an uncle who was mad keen who gave me an intrest so Im curious if there still hanging around.
smile.gif

Premier Laegue better than the AFL ?

Pull the other one G4E - The Premier League is just so great - for ManU fans that is. The rest of it is just a joke with Rupert Murdoch and Alex Ferguson the cheif jesters laughing all the way to the bank.

I feel sorry for you G4E being a Leeds Utd fan. They are a good side and play terrific football but what hope do they ever have of winning a title ?

ManU won this year, they will next year and probably the year after that as well. They had this competition wrapped up back in January - when the season wasn't even 2/3 rds of the way through - call this exciting ?

The only thing worth watching in English soccer are the relegation matches which have a desperation and nerve-wracking excitement about them which is sadly lacking in all other aspects of the game.

And another thing G4E - if you don't like Aussie Rules then piss off and go and annoy someone at Bigsoccer.com or something this site is about the Great Australian game, not Association Football.

I've just heard the result of the Euro Cup final, Galatassarey beat Arsenal 4-1

... In a penalty shoot out that is, the actual game ended 0-0 after extra time.

glad I didn't get up and watch that piece of crap 2 hours of over-paid nancy boys passing the ball to each other - I didn't see the game biut I bet you could have counted the shots on goal on one hand and then what happens after this snooze-fest ? Another one of those God awful penalty shoot-outs.

Thank God Australia has its own football code instead of being like the rest of World - completely obsessed with a game of football where NOTHING HAPPENS
frown.gif

You may not like soccer or the premier league however you must give credit where credit's due. It is the world game.

For the most part the league championship is usually decided on the last week of the season if you look at the history books. For example, this year it happened in Italy, Portugal, it's going to happen in Spain etc.

I have to agree with T.W. Sherrin, if you want to talk about boring soccer use the soccer site. I don't want to have to scroll through all this soccer crap to find someone actually talking about Aussie Rules. Leave soccer to the idiot supporters who only want to bash supporters of other teams, because their game is so boring.

------------------
Mantis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a good time to be singing the praises of the Premier league: Arsenal beaten by a mob from Turkey (sorry Max), Man Utd won AGAIN, Spanish league has 3 of the last 4 in the Champions league and 2 playing in the final.

As I've said in a previous post, G4E needs phsyciatric help so I won't even attempt to figure out why you would compare soccer players to Aussie Rules players, simply STUPID.

Premier league is fast becoming like (if not already) the SANFL, Port and Utd and the rest can please themselves, what a joke. As I understand it (help me out here Max) you can't even watch your team on the box if you don't follow one of the big clubs, because of all the tv right deals.

Hey Max I'm glad Martin Keown doesn't play for Columbia, otherwise his family would have to commence funeral arrangements now. That was a sitter, I've never played a game of soccer but I could have nailed that sucker.

I've watched every sport there is: Gridiron, Soccer, Basketball, Hurling, Gaelic, Hanball and nothing comes close to Aussie rules.

Just ask that kid from the Dees (name escapes me) who tried out for Man Utd and chose to play Aussie Rules. BTW G4E if you don't reckon guys like Daicos, Flower, Kemp, Mercuri, Hird, Harvey, just to name a few off the top of my head, couldn't be gun soccer players then you're certifiable.
Damn I didn't want to get sucked into that argument.

BOMBER BLITZ IN 2000!
cool.gif

We have a young player from Ireland at the Swans at the moment call Tadgh Keneally. At only 18 this naturally gifted athlete has represented his country in soccer, athletics and Gaelic football.

He turned down a 2.5 million pound offer to play soccer for Blackburn Rovers to come to Australia and learn Aussie Rules with the Swans - why ?

Because he 'didn't like the game very much'

says it all really.

I love good soccer, but the premier league doesnt compare to AFL. Leagues such as the Italian and Spanish are just full of great talent, and are the best leagues. The premier league is rated 6th or 7th by FIFA (official) which I think flatters the league. The only reason why it is popular here is due to language problems of other countries. The premier league is too top heavy with 2 or 3 good sides, then just falters with some ordinary clubs/players. Boring Comp all round really, too many foregone conclusions. Italian and Spanish football is just so deep! Who follows Italian football? how was the end to this years season! unbelievable!
Still, AFL is the best sport in the world!

The Premier League esciting, PLEASE!!!!!!

Every year, only 3 sides have a chance of winning, at least the AFL is even.

If you're really lucky in the Premier League, you may score a goal.

You don't think that AFL has excitment in the last few weeks of the season when teams are vying a position in the finals, remember Brisbane in 1995, when they got in, there was more excitment in Brisbane than anywhere.

What about when St'Kilda beat Port in round 22 1997 to finish on top for the first time since..... God only knows. (Sainter I need your help on this one) and knock Port out of the Finals.

There is so much excitment in AFL that Premier League can't even compete, why it's so popular is beyond me.

i think GFE's stupidity speaks for itself in that topic line, so I wont even get stuck in.
I just wanted to pick on one of Dans points(no man- not the TSRecognition stuff- although youre right when you say each successive win gets us f*ck all really)
You say australian rules is only played here "unfortunately".
Unfortunately ????? Why would we want other countries playing ????? I figure its our little secret, and the rest of world can get stuffed. We do it best, and I have no desire for AFL to become big around the world.
As for Premier league, Ive posted my thoughts on this exact subject b4. No cap, no draft, no unpredictablity. Its a bit of a joke as maxxy says. Dont they have teams over there with like ONE Englishman in them ??? Thats unbeleivable !!! No wonder their national side cant ever do anything good.

I too am one of those sport loving people who'll watch anything with a ball. I like (not love) soccer (go perth glory), gridiron (once you understand it, its a very complex, in depth game- which is what i like about it), rugby league (well ill watch origin and thats it),cricket, NBA basketball. And as much as I enjoy all these individually nothing even gets CLOSE to AFL football as a spectator sport. I think we all agree on that.

A.

Re: TV rights - BSkyB have it almost entirely sown up - they do show a lot of matches but generally only a small % are live and almost always involve big clubs - most notable MAn U. They do show big FA and Worthington cup matches also.

ITV has the rights to the Champions League

The BBC has match of the day with Lineker don't doing a bad job at the helm and last nigth showed the UEFA cup final.

Very ordinary effort from the Gunners I thought but frankly I think its fair to say that Galatasaray are a bloody good and underrated side but were completed saved by some brilliant keeping from Claudio Taffarel (Brazil's National Goalkeeper...figures).

Arsenal had about three easily chances - Overmars, Henry and Parlour had great chances while KAnu was just beaten by a great keeper.

On the other hand - its the Uefa Cup, not the Champions League so who gives a toss.

Right - that's all I'm saying about soccer other than there is a strong rumour that Robbie Fowler is coming to Highbury next season because of Liverpool messing up 3rd spot and Emille Heskie's pick up.

AFL is about a 1000 times more entertaining I'm afraid though guys.

I agree with g4e AFL isn't as good as English Premier League. AFL is the greatest game in the world, and in my opinion soccer doesn't even come a close second. I'm not a soccer fan, and I really struggle how it is regarded as the greatest game on earth, surely the sight of a finely tuned athlete running flat out down the MCG wing bouncing on oval shaped ball requires a lot more skill then a finely tuned athlete weaving around opponents with a round shaped ball at the end of his foot.

gocatsgo,

the last we were on top of the ladder before 1997?

Well before I was born!

We finished first in 1965 before losing the Grand Final to Essendon. Not sure about 1966 (perhaps 2nd) or 1971. Obviously we won the flag in 1966 and in 1971 we lead Hawthorn by 3 goals at three-quarter time in the Grand Final.

The fact is, we had the team to win more than one flag during the 1960s and wasted the opportunity.

Our 1991 and 1992 teams were also up with the better teams. Not the best Grendel! I'm sure you know about the farcical situation of 1991 when the AFL, in their wisdom, scheduled Geelong to play St Kilda in one of the elimination finals. Why they would schedule 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 6 to elimination finals is beyond anyones comprehension. Anyone with a brain would realise that it had to be 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5. Our final in 1991 was a classic with Plugger kicking 9 and Billy Brownless doing the same I think. In 1992 we defeated Collingwood in a historic finals win at Waverley Park and lost to Footscray in the 1st semi.

I've gone on too long but I enjoy remincising, particularly when there are not too many good times.

Unlike most of the 1980s, we are rewarding with priority draft picks now.

I'll let you all in a secret. Man United's reign at the top of the premier league is coming to an end . Their players are aging and all the other clubs are hanging on their young players now. I reckon next year the title race will be between Leeds, Aresnal, Liverpool, possibly Chelsea, and my dark horses Tottenham (if the rumors are correct that they are buying up big this off season) and Newcastle. You would get a bigger crowd at the MCG to see England V Australia than a Collingwood Essendon grand final i bet. Sorry Bomber fans but there are MORE Manchester United supporters living in Australia/Melbourne than Don fans. That is a fact.

Thanks for the link Dutchman.

To be honest after the start that Liverpool had early this season I didnt really watch to many of the highlights (haha lowlights more accurate) this season. What with ManU dominance just couldnt face it. Hesky is good though, intstead of the midget strikers he can give some power and aerial strength.

Just like the AFL there is always next season
smile.gif

G4E

ManU might have an ageing list but so what ?

If they slip a little Rupert Murdoch will just give Alex Ferguson another 300 million pounds to go out and buy more champion players. I guess Ferguson will get another knighthood 'for services to sport' for that one too.

Sheeesh - I am just so glad we don't play this game very much in this country.

But we do...soccer is a popular sport in this country. Have you noticed how many kids play soccer now and how well Australia performs at the youth World Cups? Mark my words, in the next 20 years, Australia is going to become a very good soccer nation and as a result interest in the game will sure. I actually believe Australia will win the soccer World Cup in my lifetime...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back