AFL likely to buy Etihad stadium in the next 12 months - Brian Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive no doubt that from to time we'll get negotiotions. Especially if the AFL opt to only hold to the mimimums in the contract (a minimum of 1.5 million attendees over the season including finals), 10 of the top 12 drawing games in Melbourne, and a minimum of 40 games a season. By staging all the traditional blockbusters and playing Melbourne home and away games at the MCG (as the AFL seem to be doing now for some reason), they could pretty easily meet the terms of the contract.

Last season the AFL pulled 2.1 million from regular season (45 matches) and another 390,000 from finals. The AFL receives a 1.50 per head bonus between 2.1 and 3 million.

Its quite easy to see the AFL moving a LOT of big games to Docklands when it takes over, while leaving the biggest games + Melbourne games at the MCG. This in turn affects the costs and profit of the stadium, its attractiveness to sponsors and corporates.

I know I'm a bad man for thinking this, but...

I look forward to the screams from low drawing, docklands tenant, clubs, who have been trying to get more games at the G, and when Docklands starts to make money, finally get a bunch of games moved over to the less viable stadium.

That said, I doubt they'd move too many 'big' games/clubs because of the potential for bad PR that would result from many more lockouts.

Having 'small' games there would please the non-vic clubs though.

I know I'm a bad man for thinking this, but...

I look forward to the screams from low drawing, docklands tenant, clubs, who have been trying to get more games at the G, and when Docklands starts to make money, finally get a bunch of games moved over to the less viable stadium.

That said, I doubt they'd move too many 'big' games/clubs because of the potential for bad PR that would result from many more lockouts.

Having 'small' games there would please the non-vic clubs though.

You should be looking forward to the screams from Collingwood and Richmond who start getting scheduled at Etihad more regularly when its under AFL ownership.

You should be looking forward to the screams from Collingwood and Richmond who start getting scheduled at Etihad more regularly when its under AFL ownership.

Yeah, but they'd get muted by the knowledge of much more $$$.

Seriously, I suspect the MCG trust is a bit worried by the idea of an early buy out...I'd say they were hoping to have the debt all paid off before docklands came into AFL hands, so they could afford to make a better deal.

Seriously, I suspect the MCG trust is a bit worried by the idea of an early buy out...I'd say they were hoping to have the debt all paid off before docklands came into AFL hands, so they could afford to make a better deal.

Good.

It might make them think twice about forcing the AFL off the MCG to accommodate exhibition games of soccer.

Do you mean the Cricket Club, the MCG Trust can always just start charging a commercial rent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back