2nds AFL listed players 2021 SANFL finals qualification

Remove this Banner Ad

At the request of Coobk001

I feel that the SANFL side won't make finals, but on the odd chance we do somehow sneak into the top 5, I'll keep track of qualifying players.

WHAT HAPPENS IF THE AFL SIDE ARE STILL ALIVE IN AFL FINALS?

If the AFL side is still alive in finals, we can pick any 17 AFL listed players + Sutcliffe + 4 SANFL listed players.

Also note: SANFL listed players just need to play 1 game all year to qualify.

Possible Team: (Taking out my ideal best 22 AFL players)
F: Goldsack - Lord - Williams
HF: Garner - Weidemann - Sutcliffe
C: Woodcock - Mayes - Mead
HB: Frederick - Pasini - Jones
B: Corcoran - Clurey - Lienert
R: Hayes - Hartlett - Powell-Pepper
INT: McEntee - Appleton - Strange - Westbrook
EMERG: Butcher - Wildman

WHAT HAPPENS IF THE AFL SIDE ARE KNOCKED OUT OF AFL FINALS?

If the AFL team are no longer in finals, even they get knocked out on a Saturday, the SANFL rules would change on a Sunday SANFL final, On 1 days notice.

It changes to the AFL listed player has to play more SANFL than AFL and also play 3 games after June 30. The SANFL would also give special injury allowances for some players. AFL player cap is still 17.

Qualified:
Hayes
Mead
Lord
Goldsack
Williams
Garner
Woodcock
McEntee
Pasini
Frederick
Lienert

Still a chance to qualify: (1 SANFL game to go)
Jones (1 SANFL + 6 AFL. Unlikely to get injury allowance unless he plays SANFL the rest of the season)

Best Possible Team: (Will get weaker as more players are disqualified)
F: Lord - Butcher - Williams
HF: Garner - Weidemann - McEntee
C: Woodcock - Appleton - Frederick
HB: Jones - Goldsack - Lienert
B: Pasini - Corcoran - Strange
R: Hayes - Mead - Sutcliffe
INT: Moore - Westbrook - Wildman - Aldridge
EMERG: Wong - Edwards

Last edited:
Thanks Ross.

I think on top of the fact we might not qualify, right now it is possible we may have to forfeit the SANFL season, because I can't see our players getting back into SA for at least another 3 weeks.

I noticed HH, Ladhams & Clurey were missing but checked and realised they can't qualify, so see what you were doing there.

Duursma (2 SANFL + 4 AFL. Needs to play 3 more games)
Bonner (5 SANFL + 7 AFL. Needs to play 3 more games)
McKenzie (6 SANFL + 8 AFL. Needs to play 3 more games)
Mayes (6 SANFL + 8 AFL. Needs to play 3 more games)
Lienert (9 SANFL + 5 AFL. Needs to play 3 more games)
Frederick (6 SANFL + 8 AFL. Needs to play 3 more games)
Butters: (1 SANFL + 5 AFL. Unlikely to get injury allowance unless he plays SANFL the rest of the season)
Jones (1 SANFL + 6 AFL. Unlikely to get injury allowance unless he plays SANFL the rest of the season)
Duursma, Butters, McKenzie & Jones definitely ain't qualifying.

With 4 more SANFL and 5 more AFL games

Bonner & Mayes would have to be dropped this week or next and play all 4 SANFL games to qualify. Feel like this is starting to look very unlikely. Mayes more likely to play enough SANFL.
Lienert will likely play another SANFL game, but may not get to 3. Will probably depend on selection this week. So can pretty much rule him out.
Frederick basically needs to play only SANFL for the rest of the year. Can afford to sit out 1 game as emergency. Hopefully he would get there.

So I'd say a LIKELY SANFL finals team, post AFL knockout, would be:

F: Weidemann - Lord - Williams
HF: Woodcock - Goldsack - Sutcliffe
C: Schofield - Appleton - Aldridge
HB: Frederick - Edwards - Strange
B: Corcoran - Pasini - Garner
R: Hayes - Mead - McEntee
INT(Ext): McEntee, Westbrook, Wildman, Wong, Moore, Carter, Samblich

The way it's looking, some players in limbo will undeservedly disqualify. That June 30 rule is the worse and the highlight of cheating. They are punishing young men. Sam Gray played 9/18 Magpies and 9/22 Power, was a product of the sanfl and the sanfl knocked back our request for exemption. All we are achieving in the sanfl is ruining our history.

I'd rather we are expelled due to Covid and the rest of their season is a mockery, which they'll be happy about anyway.

If we lose to Sturt this week and with Nowood certain to beat Westies, we will be kaput for Snaffle finals.
Yeah we are stuffed, still got a mathematical possibility though. Norwood have to beat North, and South have to beat us for it to be officially over.

On the miracle we somehow make it, Pasini has qualified, Mayes is disqualified.

Has John Butcher done enough to qualify for afl finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've taken our chances to the last round. To make finals we must gain about 5% when beating Glenelg. South must lose to West Adelaide, Sturt must lose to North.
5% in the sanfl is like 10% in the AFL so need about a 180 pt turn around. We need both South and Sturt to lose as we wont over take Sturt's % let alone South's.

South 9 wins 1270 for 1237 against so +33
Sturt. 8 wins 1121 for 1055 against so +66
Ports. 8 wins 1196 for 1355 against so -159

So North could beat Sturt at Unley, but if West did beat South its probably by 15pts, so we would have to beat Glenelg by at least 180 pts.

Time for a Johnny Butcher special. Does Georgiades play to give him a run?? What about SPP after only getting 18 minutes of real time in the last quarter?

5% in the sanfl is like 10% in the AFL so need about a 180 pt turn around. We need both South and Sturt to lose as we wont over take Sturt's % let alone South's.

South 9 wins 1270 for 1237 against so +33
Sturt. 8 wins 1121 for 1055 against so +66
Ports. 8 wins 1196 for 1355 against so -159

So North could beat Sturt at Unley, but if West did beat South its probably by 15pts, so we would have to beat Glenelg by at least 180 pts.

Time for a Johnny Butcher special. Does Georgiades play to give him a run?? What about SPP after only getting 18 minutes of real time in the last quarter?
Butcher might be out with a hammy. Georgiades and SPP would be a chance.

Why are Glenelg so dominant? Did the City of Holdfast Bay forgive their zillion dollar debt?
I put it down to McBean and Reynolds being a dominant forward tandem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back