AFL Live 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Game FAQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread will be a summary of all the answers to our questions we've received from the guys at BigAnt regarding the new AFL Game. Will also include information that's been offered without us asking. :)

Information on AFL Wii can be found here.

• Will be released on PS3, 360 on the 21st of April 2011

PC version will be released at a later date.

• Has a 4 v 4 Online Multi player.

4 for Xbox local - 8 online max (4 v 4)

7 for PS3 local - 8 online max (4 v 4)

The online is being tuned to what we consider most people will have available, it will support two boxes head to head with 4 v 4 (Xbox has a max of 4 controllers in any case) without lag on a reasonable ADSL connection.

• Every player of every team has been photographed and modelled.

• Create your own team, own players, and own comp

Can play user crated teams online.

18 Playable sides include those that you create.

• No Head High Bumps, tackles but no bumps

No tribunal, No intentional head high tackles.

• There is training - unlike FIFA at this time it isn't while loading, it is a separate menu item.

• Most of the "left of field" (odd) things will be trophy/achievement based. (Guessing getting Richmond past 9th :cool:)

Our first screenshot. In the game the face, eyes, etc.. are animated.

• Controls : there are Torpedo's, stabs, snap kicks etc.. taps in the ruck, punches - mongrels will generally happen when you do something that doesn't make sense given the position on field, power of the kick, on the run (or not)

Right or left footedness (kicking) will make a difference, particularly with set shots and which way the ball will draw or fade.

There is also the strategy of carolling players onto their wrong foot so they are less accurate when kicking on the run

Handball can be to a player directly or to space - the trajectory is dealt with by the system - there are "look aways" and over the head handballs.

Have implemented a control mechanism for both handball and kicks that players can choose to "lock" to a team mate, allowing for strafing and drawing the opposition.

Hoping the novice will be able to pick it up and play but that others will get more depth through "modifiers" we've put in there, eg. triggers/shoulder buttons for stab passes, torp's, strength of tap/punch in the ruck and so on.

There will be meter systems in the game but BigAnt are trying to remove as many of them as possible, don't want this to be a "quick time" game.

Ideally,there would be no meters at all in the High difficulty mode, but this may or may not be the case in the final delivery.

Bouncing the ball can be manual or automatic (default). Will not bounce while sprinting. (Will get pinged if you run too far).

PC : Can use most PC controllers, Ross currently uses a XBOX controller on his laptop.

• Ruck work
    No meters on screen, individual size, speed, jump, stat's, etc.. are all taken into account, and you can also ruck conservatively or aggressively by timing your run at the ball which effects the outcome based on what your opponent is doing in that regard. Taps can go to space or a player or you can punch.

• BigAnt debating internally about balancing the "real world" stats with the ability of say taking the 16th team to the flag... should everyone have an even shot?

A lot of the debate is centred around online and maintaining the online community that they believe will be a huge part of the game.

• The grounds - they have all been licensed. Real MCG, SCG, etc... and they look *real*!

• Off the ball by-play incorporated into the game: "the off the ball play is currently my favourite thing to do, especially in 4 vs 4."

Can Smother, baulk, fend, shepherd, amongst other thing

• Marking: Contested Pack Marking will be a contest. Players will hit up/honour leads.

What they have implemented is that the player will automatically, on free kicks and marks, go to get back behind mark but you can pre-empt this at any stage by selecting any action - eg. just keep running, kick, etc

1. Players will go to ground after marking and other contests.

2. Players will try to keep their feet and pick the ball up.

• Crowd/Atmosphere - Crowd is in team colours, there are flags and the old "floggers" made out of paper.
    There is more home crowd than away, based on interstate or not. There isn't booing.

Heritage rounds, ANZAC day etc... are all in there.

Based on the MCG being in Melbourne and both teams being from Melbourne the crowd would be equal for the ANZAC day clash - the key is that it is biased if a team has come from interstate (or out of town - eg Skilled at Geelong)

• Dennis Cometti to do the commentary (Will be more then just Dennis)

• Players individual attributes will be at play, including distance/accuracy, fitness, etc... ie Fev will find it easier to kick from outside 50 than Judd.

• Deliberate rushed behind rule is incorporated into the game

• Game Balancing.
    I always steer away from game balancing via penalties that take a player below what would be considered "0", you should always, in my opinion get your base stat. That's not to say that your opposition, having played well or having seen how bad you are playing don't get a lift from it.

That said, most games have "catch up" - meaning the worse you are the easier it is to score/drive/whatever, this has been done all the way back to NBA Jam. I understand the idea of reward for good play (the old NBA Jam "he's on fire"), but there is something to be said to negating someone getting the daylights belted out of them.... particularly online, as it de motivates people and has them leave the online space.

• Camera Angles

Getting the camera right is actually the hardest part of making the game.

I struggle watching on TV, the coverage is too "cameo" and tight for my liking, so much is happening off the ball you lose at least 50% of the action in my opinion.

So while there is a "broadcast like" camera, the default will be further back. I personally play it with the same view as if you were in the Southern stand, second level, front row. Playing it any closer doesn't allow you to see what's on offer far enough down the field.

In any case, you will have many camera options. I know it will be a very personal thing as to which one you like most.

• International Footy supporters

The advantage BigAnt have on 360 and PS3 is that they can package the game for download in other regions where a retail/disk version doesn't make sense. Bigant are in talks with the publishers about this.

• Fully Licensed Game, only licensed product will be in the game, ie, all jumpers/logos shall be those that are currently under license.

• Radar - There is one :)

• 3rd Person

No Third person tried it and it was unplayable.

• Frame Rate
    There won't be an issue with frame rate - that is a top priority for us. The system we have implemented for the tattoo's is on a player by player basis - not all players will use the same amount of memory/textures.

• Replays
    There will be replays, this is where the close-ups of the characters, some of which you've seen here, will be at their highest resolution.

Indeed, if it weren't for the replays we wouldn't have modelled the players so closely.

• Dynamic Weather
    Rain, sunshine, even shadows of clouds going accross the ground.

• Injuries
    Will be injuries and weaker clubs will be effected greater by injury

• AI
    The AI is very "fluid" and there is a lot of movement to and from space, not necessarily positions. Players will tend to keep to their "comfort zones" but react to team mates and opponents movement. I can't say much more...

• Interchange

The Interchange works in conjunction with the switching of players anywhere on the field and does not interfere with gameplay, the game is not paused.

First select the player to switch:
    Press the D-Pad (defaults on first menu - Down = Bench, Left = Defence, Up = Followers, Right = Forwards)
    Menu pops into hud with options:
    Bench
    Defence
    Followers
    Forwards

Use D-pad up and down to navigate, right to select, left to cancel entire operation.

Once area selected, list changes to player names in that region.
    Use D-pad up and down to navigate, right to select, left to cancel entire operation.

Once player selected, list changes to regions for the player to swap with:
    Bench
    Defence
    Followers
    Forwards

Once area selected, list changes to player names in that region.

For example, to swap Waite to the bench and bring Betts on:
    Press D-Pad Right->
    Lists forwards on the field, press down on D-Pad until Waite is highlighted.
    Press D-Pad Right->to select Waite
    Lists Bench, Defence, Followers, Forwards, Press D-Pad Right->to select Bench
    Players on the Bench are listed, press down on D-Pad until Betts is highlighted.
    Press D-Pad Right->to select Betts
    Waite will then run to the bench and Betts will run to Waite's position.

• Statistics
    Big Ant would like to continually keep up to date stat's via XBLA/PSN (online), the ability for us to do this is being worked through, no promises, but if they can they
    will.

There are multiple season in that your record is stored and the players individual stat's are stored form season to season.

• Draft/Trading & Retiring/Creating New Players
    There is no draft. We cannot take photos of draftees or license them before they get into the AFL.

You can add players to teams, swap players from team to team, or make up a team of superstars if you wish - but you can't draft them.

Player stats will be editable, their likenesses will not.

Players that you create will look as good as the snippets you've seen here. It will be harder for you to make the likeness as good as we have, but they certainly will look "human" and will not be generic.

You will be able to create as many as the teams would hold, potentially 18 side of 42. (So 756 custom player limit)

Without going into too much detail, if players retire, you can retire them. If draftees come in then you can create them (or swap them from club to club if they exist already). Stat's will be remembered from year to year (based on your gameplay).

If Sony and MS give the green light draftee’s and player stats will be updated by DLC

You could create player stat's and likeness based on the real players drafted if you wished. There is no draft but you can simulate the result of the draft.

Players are retired by you just taking them off the club list.

Players are traded by adding them to another clubs list.

You can create a player and add him to any list.

If you want to simulate what is happening in the real world then you can.

Players do get older and there is progression (or regression depending on how they've done) between seasons.

• Miscellaneous
    When the game ships we will be releasing a "developer diary" that will have pictures, concept art, and lots of "insider" goodies.

There will be the expected rewards for a good season, B&F, Brownlow, etc...

There will of course be a season mode.

There will be a game length that will be ideal, ie the scores will be realistic, but if you limit or expand the game time then scores will of course vary.

Have some staff here that worked at IR Gurus/Transmission, no one here was involved in the previous games.

This version has been built from scratch - that's why it's taking so long

Re: New AFL Game Q&A's

Further information

A couple of answers on questions we keep getting:

Q. Why did NRL get released before AFL when AFL was announced so long ago?
A. We began NRL way before AFL, we could not announce NRL because there were existing games in the market and our publisher did not want to impact their sales.

Q. Why is there no further news on AFL.
A. Because we don't control the announcements, our publisher does.

Q. How do I become a tester (QA) on AFL?
A. In Sydney, apply to HES. In Melbourne apply to Big Ant Studios via the website. Big Ant Studios currently have all of the testers we need at this time.

Q. How do I get to see the game with Ant from Big Footy?
A. The offer to Ant and Big Footy to come in to Big Ant Studios and see a "sneak peek", preview of the game came about because he wrote me an email and I thought the time was right. Ant and the Big Footy guys will no doubt sort out who will come along - I need to leave that to them and their judgement. I haven't sorted numbers yet and dates, but would think it sounds like August and probably a group of four, but this is subject to confirmation from Ant and our publisher. At the time the guys come in I will be doing my best to release some screen shots and further details.

4811647670_5e37ce0b60_b.jpg

BigAnt: He's turning his head to the ball carrier and pointing to the lead - they have done a great job. (If I say so myself... both the AI programmers and Character guys.

* Please note guys I don't work for BigAnt Studios, I am just the moderator of this Video Games forum. Therefore sending me Private Messages for more info/pictures is only going to disappoint you.*

To ask a question of the BigAnt guys put it in the discussion thread here.

Please do not be offended if they can not answer your question. BigAnt are bound to what they're allowed to release from their publisher. They also need to leave something for the press release. :D

Re: New AFL Video Game FAQ

Presentation
We will do as close to a TV start as we can. It is Commetti plus one special comments.

Umpires/Free kicks
Three field umpires.
Free kicks are realistic, there is no randomness, you will know what you did, and you will deserve it! :)

Injuries
Generally you will be able to tell as it happens that a player is injured. There will be cases where player will run/limp to the bench and you will be told in the hud that it has happened - the game will not stop.

There is no Blood Rule as there is no blood in the game.

Custom Team
There will be a range of kit to choose from, home/away/clash strips with a set range of styles and colors,team logos and choice of home venue. There is also an opportunity to customise the logo via importing a file of your making. The importing of a theme song is being investigated, this is not a technical issue but one of copyright.

Gameplan/Tactics
Sides will have their own specific style of play. You can change that on the fly and emulate the "Sydney style" or "Essendon style"

Individual player tactics fall out of the style of play chosen plus an ability to dictate that a player tag or play a set position.

In Game Rankings
There are no in game rankings as such, but like when you're at the "G" looking at the scoreboard, you will have various stat's available, with extra's such as "clangers"

Reserves stats during a season
Unfortunately you will not know how your reserve players, who were not in your 22 performed - you could simulate that by editing the stats's to reflect the "real world" if you wished. Otherwise in the next version we could just give random stat's but I don't much like that idea.

From BigAntStudios

Timing is everything - the announcement was made while I was in the air from Tokyo - I was hoping to post it here before anywhere else got it.

From HES/Tru Blu (as in email posted above):

>>
AFL on Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii will be released in the first half of 2011.

We are working hard to ensure we deliver the best possible AFL experience on console and we thank you for your continued support and patience.

It's possible that the Nintendo Wii version may come out slightly earlier.
>>

The release was always previously set as 2010 however I am sure you will all understand that when we began this project there was no Gold Coast on the radar. I believe this is the right decision, the timing of the drafts, the uncertain number of Gold Coast recruits to be named later this year, amongst other things has put everyone in a very tough spot.

This delay will no doubt bring about a better game, and indeed some of the suggestions from this forum have been included.

Further info on the release date

Just a few things so people don't get too hot about the exact dates...

I couldn't say when the game will come out with 100% accuracy as whenever the draft is finished, and subsequently the game is finished shortly after, submissions to Sony/MS/Etc.. will begin. History shows that this is normally a three month turn-around from gold master to games finally being on the shelves. Sometimes this is a longer/shorter period depending on how many bugs/issues are found and if the game needs to be resubmitted.

EB are obviously a very important retailer and very important to the success of AFL. It is likely that they have some inside knowledge but I do not know of all of the conversations that go on between HES and EB. They also could have just taken the "first six months" announcement and halved it, who knows? Given what I have said above though, you now all know that 1st March is a reasonable guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5279886784_35d5fff828_b.jpg

5279280949_501b0989c3_b.jpg

These are direct full-screen grabs - no photoshopping anything.

Only more lighting and game balancing to go and we're done!

Note : view image for a large size

Re: New AFL Video Game - 360, PS3 & PC FAQ

Auto Interchange information

The Sub is manual.

The controls may have changed a little from when I posted last - here is a snippet from the Game's manual:

Auto interchanges as promised:

Team Tactics

Interchange

Manual
All interchanges must be performed manually by the player.
Low
Auto interchanges occur when there is a stamina differential of 20. The bench player with the highest rating for that position is selected. Key position players are protected and must be manually interchanged.
Balanced
Auto interchanges occur when there is a stamina differential of 10. The bench player with the highest rating for that position is selected. Key position players are protected and must be manually interchanged.
High
Auto interchanges occur when there is a stamina differential of 5. The bench player with the highest rating for that position is selected. Key position players are protected and must be manually interchanged.

Interchange

Interchange has become a big part of modern football with constant rotations used to not only keep layers fresh but disrupt opposition player match ups.

New Interchange Rules
AFL features the brand new AFL rules for interchanges that stipulates three interchanges and one substitute. The interchange players can be brought on and off the ground as often as you want. The substitute however, can only be used once. This system is designed to reduce the number of player available for interchange while adding a dedicated player who is available to interchange for a team mate who has suffered a game-ending injury.
Interchange Interface

1. Push any direction on the directional padto bring up the Interchange menu.

2. Press right on the direction pad to cycle through ground positions

3. Select player using Up/ Down on the directional pad.

4. Press right on the directional pad to confirm selection.

5494108860_a7d10671cb.jpg

To bring up the interchange interface, push any direction on the directional pad.
  • Cycle through the ground positions (blue bar) then press up / down to select the player you wish to interchange. Press right to confirm your selection.
  • The player to be interchanged will appear below the interchange menu.
  • Repeat the process to select the second player. The interface will confirm your change.
Canceling/ Closing Interchange

To cancel or close the interchange interface push left on the directional pad.
Interchange Information

The interchange displays the player’s current stamina and form. This information allows you to determine when to interchange players.

Say goodbye to customizing a team through trades to include 22 A-graders.

There will be a balancing mechanism with "custom" teams (custom meaning any team with a player that has come from another teams list).

I can't explain the cap now other than it is based on player attributes.

More regarding Online Play

There are two types of Online Matches

Find Match will find an opponent as quickly as possible - you will earn XP against this opponent whether you win or loss - obviously more if you win. There is a Handicap bonus based both on your Skill and the rating of the team you are playing against compared to your own. This is also the mode in which you will win Badges.

Private match allows you to invite friend(s) and you are able to play up to 8 players - this even gives you the ability to play 8 players against the AI. This is 4 players on each console - but you can have any combination of players on either team. This is unranked.

On them quiters

Hi All,

notes on the online quit situation - here are the facts:

The quitter:
  • Gets zero XP for that match,
  • Has a loss recorded on his stats (it shows in the "forfeits" row, but in every other respect is counted as a loss),
  • Loses any progress toward the "dropbear" badge (which gives bonus XP for not dropping out of matches),
  • Has his winning streak reset to zero,
  • Has his Reliability Rating lowered. Once the Reliability Rating drops past a certain point, the game starts reducing the XP he receives for all future matches until the mark is removed. The only way to increase your Reliability Rating and remove the mark is to finish your matches. :)
The quittee:
  • Still receives an amount of XP for the match (depending on how far along the match was),
  • Will still received any badges that have unlocked during that match,
  • Is awarded a win if he is quit on during the last quarter -- even if he was losing,
  • Won't be awarded a loss, ever, if he is quit on while losing,
  • Doesn't lose his winning streak or progress toward the "dropbear" badge.
Why don't I get a win?

We don't award a win by default when someone ragequits on you, as otherwise it is possible to game the leaderboard: using two accounts, one can give themselves as many wins as they want by simply having the other account constantly quit mid-match.

Details on the Team Management screens

Hey guys, so thought Id type up a detailed explanation of the Team Mangement screens since some seem to be hating this...but I can promise it's not as confusing as it seems, and granted it could probably vastly improve and any feedback and constructive ideas or suggestions on how you would like it to be displayed is always appreciated. - Reasons behind its current layout were to allow enough screen space for 2 players to adjust and change their teams at the same time locally.

Anyway, here's a breif explanation of how it works:

TEAM LINE-UP: Each position on the field is colour coded in groups of 3 and illustrated on the pitch diagram at top of screen:
Backs (Yellow),
Half Backs (Green),
Midfield (Blue),
Half Forwards (Orange),
Full Forwards (Pink)
RuckRovers/Ruckman/Followers (Purple)

As you scroll left and right the coloured tabs on the menu bar relate to the coloured "zonal" areas illustrated on the field.

There is also an "ALL" tab which is (Grey) to allow you to view the full list of players including the "Substitutes" and "Reserves".

Highlighting a player and selecting them at any point in time will bring up a "Player List Overlay" which lists ALL players that can play in the selected position based on the score rating from highest to lowest. - NOTE the highest rating that is displayed, may already be someone in another position on the field. If you want to use a player "not" currently in the team then look for the players with a (grey triangle - interchanges/sub) next to their name, or a player with no coloured triangle next to their name (reserves).

To view the player and the position on the opposing team that you are manned up against. for example Carlton v Sydney to view who C.Judd is manned up against do the following:

Select "Tagging Tactics" from Team Management
Scroll to Ruckman/RuckRovers/Followers tab (Purple)
Under C.Judd you will see "greyed" out, the name of the opponent in that position and their comparitive scores - in this instance J.McVeigh.

If you want to TAG him, highlight your selected player e.g. Judd and an overlay will ask if you wish to tag your opponents position. Selecting YES will then display a "Chain Link" showing that you have tagged your opponent.

Hope this clears up and helps a little in how to navigate through the Team Management listings.

ALSO at the bottom of each of highlighted option of the Team Management section, you will see a black box at the bottom with hints and instruction as to what each function does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back