Resource AFL Live Pass - Free for Telstra customers

Remove this Banner Ad

Say that again? iPhone to android tv?

Do you mean iPhone to Tv?
There are smart TVs that run an Android OS, there are also external Android based media boxes, possibly will be one of those.

Might have some luck with Allcast (I think it is?) Though the iPhone will likely need to be jailbroken to mirror the AFL app. I have an (non-jailbroken) iPad and it won't let me mirror to Apple TV with the app on.

There are smart TVs that run an Android OS, there are also external Android based media boxes, possibly will be one of those.

Might have some luck with Allcast (I think it is?) Though the iPhone will likely need to be jailbroken to mirror the AFL app. I have an (non-jailbroken) iPad and it won't let me mirror to Apple TV with the app on.

Even being jailbroken is not enough because recent updates have closed backdoor enteries to wirelessly stream your iPad with Foxtel playing to the TV, in other words you need old software versions of a jailbroken iPhone or iPad. I did this for a few months but got tired of the whole process of setting it up every time to watch a match.

Plus also it was running about 30s to a 1 minute behind live play. Which is massive if you punt.

Even being jailbroken is not enough because recent updates have closed backdoor enteries to wirelessly stream your iPad with Foxtel playing to the TV, in other words you need old software versions of a jailbroken iPhone or iPad. I did this for a few months but got tired of the whole process of setting it up every time to watch a match.

Plus also it was running about 30s to a 1 minute behind live play. Which is massive if you punt.
Going out of your way to block features is really a massive '* you' to your customers.

I had Foxtel Go on my laptop and wanted to pump that through to the tv. Plug in the HDMI cable and the app locks up and tells me I can't have a second display. OK then, I just disabled the main laptop display and everything was great.

Can also just cast the whole screen to the chromecast too.

pmar

Senior List
Apr 1, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Weird. I just tried it at work and am getting the same message so it is likely the phone.

The only real change from last year is that it wasn't rooted last year and is now. Is yours a rooted Android too?
Nah neither of my phone or tablet are rooted. Phone is a Nexus 5. My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 so its a few years old now but still streams fine. The MHL feature on the tablet is handy though as it lets me watch the AFL streams on my tv.

I haven't tried casting to my Chromecast yet but I know the cricket aust app blocked casting and mirroring with MHL

Nah neither of my phone or tablet are rooted. Phone is a Nexus 5. My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 so its a few years old now but still streams fine. The MHL feature on the tablet is handy though as it lets me watch the AFL streams on my tv.

I haven't tried casting to my Chromecast yet but I know the cricket aust app blocked casting and mirroring with MHL
I've had a crack at running Android on the PC with bluestacks, but it was limited. I might have a look if there's anything new around as if you can run a self-contained android on the PC you can put anything on the TV

Apr 18, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Makeshift method I used last year was using the cast screen function in display settings (android) and just casting the display, then switching to the AFL app. It was barely watchable unfortunately...not smooth at all, really heated up the phone too. Unsure if they've implemented some kind of new block.

Hopefully the new media deals will have the AFL app play nice. So good using my chromecast with the NHL app - smooth as butter and great picture.

Going out of your way to block features is really a massive '**** you' to your customers.

This^

I also dont like that I have to feel "privileged" to be able to "afford" Fox Footy in HD, AFL and cricket are the fabric of our society and these sports should be free to everyone. Maybe thats taking this topic of a tangent, but the bottom line is I hope everyone gets to watch footy with whatever methods they choose.

When I told the Foxtel installer that I was streaming the Ipad to the TV he was first shocked that it could be done given that Foxtel have tried to close the loopholes and then made out as if it was a wrong thing to do. What is wrong is that Foxtel makes me pay $25 to watch shows that have repeated over dozens of times that I have no desire to watch. Aside from live sports, I dont watch any Foxtel.

Last edited:

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
FYI I've tried about 5 different Android emulators and none of them display the video from the AFL app. Just the sound. Pain in the ass.

The best solution seems to be a Chromecast to get it on your TV. I can just cast my phone's screen to the chromecast then open the AFL app and away it goes.

For those with iPhone and Chromecast apparently you can use a PC as an intermediary device to get it to work: http://www.instructables.com/id/AirPlay-On-Chromecast/

FYI I've tried about 5 different Android emulators and none of them display the video from the AFL app. Just the sound. Pain in the ass.

The best solution seems to be a Chromecast to get it on your TV. I can just cast my phone's screen to the chromecast then open the AFL app and away it goes.

For those with iPhone and Chromecast apparently you can use a PC as an intermediary device to get it to work: http://www.instructables.com/id/AirPlay-On-Chromecast/
I wonder how it would go without using an emulator and just running an Android PC. I had a play with it a little while ago in between formatting and reinstalling windows, but didn't try those apps.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pmar

Senior List
Apr 1, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

If you have an android tv or a nexus player, cant you just sideload the afl app apk? assuming its not available to in installed normally.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Got the free AFL pass through a Telstra business plan. Mirrored the iPhone to the Apple TV easily with Airplay with initial poor resolution but it seems to have improved and is now watchable.
Can't do it with iPad however.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
So they organised a new broadcasting deal last year. Have they persisted with the archaic no AFL stream on PC. Or is there scope to bring it on somewhere mid broadcast license? I really think a lot of people would use it over an entire foxtel package. Also could be picked up world wide. Mind you it already is available with a vpn. Just us ozzies being corralled into foxtel.

Sep 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Tried it this morning using a standalone monitor i have and an mhl cable and worked fine. Did stop because of supposed slow wifi after a minute or so which i would have thought was bull in that it is virtually sitting next to it. Didn't spend any time looking into it bar just plugging in to see what would happen though.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tried it this morning using a standalone monitor i have and an mhl cable and worked fine. Did stop because of supposed slow wifi after a minute or so which i would have thought was bull in that it is virtually sitting next to it. Didn't spend any time looking into it bar just plugging in to see what would happen though.
Yeah it does that. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to why..

Yeah it does that. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to why..
It must be the device. I got that message at home, and at work.

I decided to pull the pin on a new phone and pre-ordered the S7 with Telstra, they put me on their SIM already and the AFL app tells me my mobile network is struggling.

Will see how it goes with my new phone on Friday.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It must be the device. I got that message at home, and at work.

I decided to pull the pin on a new phone and pre-ordered the S7 with Telstra, they put me on their SIM already and the AFL app tells me my mobile network is struggling.

Will see how it goes with my new phone on Friday.
I think it might be a server load balancing "feature"

Got the free AFL pass through a Telstra business plan. Mirrored the iPhone to the Apple TV easily with Airplay with initial poor resolution but it seems to have improved and is now watchable.
Can't do it with iPad however.
My iPad mirrors to AppleTV. What version iPad do you have?

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
My iPad mirrors to AppleTV. What version iPad do you have?
I got the AFL pass on my iPad through a different source than the Telstra free pass on my iPhone. I can mirror anything else through the iPad but Foxtel and/or telstra blocks the AFL pass from an iPad but not from an iPhone. Go figure

Back