AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

Can some other apple users on iPhones try to get a radio stream from the afl app going, and then switch screens to another app? My radio keeps cutting out, like what YouTube does when you try and do something else whilst a video is running. Driving me insane.

Anyone having trouble watching matches on their phone? I have a new live pass but it says "An error has occurred! Can't play this video" every time I've tried to watch a match.
Yes I had the same problem...
I have requested a refund via 3 different countries.
I contacted Google play and they can't even refund me... I have lodged a complaint and refund through PayPal... Foxtel got me

I've seen it mentioned a couple times in this thread but it hasn't really gotten the attention it deserves...

The VPN and SmartDNS solutions are good; they get the WatchAFL stream working. But in most cases they only allow people to watch on a low quality stream and if they're lucky there will be minimal to no buffering.

The underrated thing is that if you start the WatchAFL stream on HD by using a non-Aussie VPN (don't use SmartDNS with this) and then disconnect from the VPN after you've got the stream going it will continue to stream using your local internet connection! So the VPN can be used to get you in the door but then once you're in you don't have to suffer through a low quality, constantly buffering stream.

They'll probably be able to fix this loop hole relatively easily. Until then I reckon it's the best way to get your footy in HD without selling your leg to Foxtel. Assuming you aren't already able to get it going in HD using the VPN and DNS methods.

Initially cancelled my AFL Live pass because I thought they'd start charging, but a couple weeks later I read that it is free again for Telstra customers. I've now ran into a problem using my web browser to access it (Having no issues on phone). When I log into afl.com.au it isn't giving me anything but an option to start a subscription using money, I have the redeem code option but what code am I meant to be using?

Cheers.

For the price of a Chromecast device + AFL Live season pass and/or a Telstra phone plan, couldn't you get Foxtel for the length of the footy season? I know the phone and Chromecase will have other uses, too, but purely from a cost, benefit, ease of access and quality perspective, I don't really think there's a great advantage to your method, beyond getting some weird satisfaction gained from somehow "sticking it up the big boys".
Or those of us in nz who somehow fall under the Australian umbrella simply don't have the option of fox. Sure there's a few games on duke, which I'll watch on tv but a few are delayed and port aren't often shown

Initially cancelled my AFL Live pass because I thought they'd start charging, but a couple weeks later I read that it is free again for Telstra customers. I've now ran into a problem using my web browser to access it (Having no issues on phone). When I log into afl.com.au it isn't giving me anything but an option to start a subscription using money, I have the redeem code option but what code am I meant to be using?

Cheers.

Exact issue I'm having.

From what I have gathered from reading Telstra Crowd Support this afternoon, if you redeem the free offer on one device, it won't necessarily let you access the Live Pass on other devices or through the AFL website.

Or those of us in nz who somehow fall under the Australian umbrella simply don't have the option of fox. Sure there's a few games on duke, which I'll watch on tv but a few are delayed and port aren't often shown

Well I think if you're literally in a different country, you can't really expect to have the same access options. Finding an alternative in that circumstance is obviously understandable, though.

Exact issue I'm having.

From what I have gathered from reading Telstra Crowd Support this afternoon, if you redeem the free offer on one device, it won't necessarily let you access the Live Pass on other devices or through the AFL website.

I used it with no issues on PC last year, but I think cancelling my subscription through PC has stuffed it.

I've seen it mentioned a couple times in this thread but it hasn't really gotten the attention it deserves...

The VPN and SmartDNS solutions are good; they get the WatchAFL stream working. But in most cases they only allow people to watch on a low quality stream and if they're lucky there will be minimal to no buffering.

The underrated thing is that if you start the WatchAFL stream on HD by using a non-Aussie VPN (don't use SmartDNS with this) and then disconnect from the VPN after you've got the stream going it will continue to stream using your local internet connection! So the VPN can be used to get you in the door but then once you're in you don't have to suffer through a low quality, constantly buffering stream.

They'll probably be able to fix this loop hole relatively easily. Until then I reckon it's the best way to get your footy in HD without selling your leg to Foxtel. Assuming you aren't already able to get it going in HD using the VPN and DNS methods.

You bloody ripper, works a treat!

Can some other apple users on iPhones try to get a radio stream from the afl app going, and then switch screens to another app? My radio keeps cutting out, like what YouTube does when you try and do something else whilst a video is running. Driving me insane.

Yep mine was doing the same thing on the weekend.

Will be sending them a feedback email tomorrow to say fix your bug because it was working fine last year leaving the app running the background and switching between stuff.

Heck you can't even lock your phone screen without the radio cutting out also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sad. I must say that the new overseas Foxtel service, whilst overpriced, is very nice. The old one would cut out all pre, during and post game interviews and chat whereas this one has it in, although it's easy to skip if you like. The video quality and streaming is also superior to what it was before, and overseas we get access to all of the Foxtel footy shows.

But the fact they can't get a basic streaming service working in Australia is a joke.

The fans built the game and brought it to where it is. Murdoch for the last 20 years has done nothing for the game other than castrate viewership.

So thanks a bunch Gilon!

I think you've got a case of tall poppy syndrome. Someone had to pay for Demetriou's yacht.

Monopolies never create good deals for the customer.

Overseas most sports have multiple ways to watch their sport. They have streaming passes that compete with cable. This helps keeps prices down for people who want to watch. We do not have this competition and this let's them inflate the prices.

Off course things could be worse. What do you mean by that? Deal with what you've got because you know... it could be worse. Companies don't lower prices out of the goodness of their hearts? When business start losing income, they adjust or fold. Foxtel are clearly holding onto the only thing making them profitable (Live footy) and trying to protect their monopoly. I want the AFL to look after the fans who are ultimately paying for this sport. NOt asking for it all to be free, just fair.

What are you suggesting we do.... nothing?

If its any consolation, I don't think your first point is very accurate, at least in the USA & Canada. Having lived in 3 different North American cities, I can tell you that ALL required you to sign up to paytv to see comprehensive coverage of major sports. The national competition streaming services (i.e. NHL.com, NBA.com, NFL.com) always blacked-out/geoblocked local coverage to protect local TV deals.

I'm with you on foxtel - the only thing protecting their business model is exclusive rights to live sport - question is,how long can it survive?

AFL Global seems to be improved this year. A crisp HD feed with no buffering, better options to watch the game if you missed the start of it and, they even let me see the Australian commercials this weekend, which I thought was nice.

I'm on the international membership. At first, I was a little disappointed there was no change quality manually option or a quarter by quarter choice. But I got to say, the speed is a lot better than when it was WatchAFL and with the addition of all the footy shows, I'm pretty wrapped with it. The menus are a lot easier to navigate too.

Being away from home. The Australian commercials are good to see too. It's essentially a single subscription for Fox Footy. $33 a month or a little more if you need a proxy back in Australia and you basically cut out buying all the other channels Foxtel gives you that you don't watch anyway.

I'm on the international membership. At first, I was a little disappointed there was no change quality manually option or a quarter by quarter choice. But I got to say, the speed is a lot better than when it was WatchAFL and with the addition of all the footy shows, I'm pretty wrapped with it. The menus are a lot easier to navigate too.

Being away from home. The Australian commercials are good to see too. It's essentially a single subscription for Fox Footy. $33 a month or a little more if you need a proxy back in Australia and you basically cut out buying all the other channels Foxtel gives you that you don't watch anyway.

I'm happy that you are receiving a decent service. I'm in Dubai and so far I've sent 3 or 4 emails. The service works on my laptop at home but the quality is average to say the least. Last year with WatchAFL it was excellent. It should be better as my home internet has doubled in speed.
The app on the phone is a complete waste of time at this stage. This weekend started with pixelated continually buffering video that was unwatchable and finished with content unavailable pop ups which I'm still getting now.
Again last year was fine on my phone which is running on the local 3G network.
To their credit they do respond to emails quickly but they don't seem to be fixing much.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still looks like best idea is to find someone with Telstra and use there account to use Foxtel Go to watch the footy. Working in the pre season so far, decent quality and works on laptop streamed to TV. I'm hoping that it still works in the real season. I'm hoping it's not just working now because foxtel has all the rights to preseason :(

Foxtel and News Corp Australia have launched the 'Full on Footy Pass’ offering fans access to the best footy coverage via Foxtel Play, Foxtel’s streaming service, including the Sport and Lifestyle packs and the best footy commentary and analysis via a digital subscription to either The Daily Telegraph, The Courier Mail, Herald Sun or The Advertiser. At $10* per week for 12 months, this offer represents amazing value. For full details, https://lnkd.in/gZUZPr5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back