AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

On-topic though, Foxtel is the far simpler and easier solution. Might cost more overall, but IMO, you get what you pay for, with zero stress or hassle.

In Australia I somewhat agree, but I turned to this because I'm overseas and discovered it sucked badly.

Last edited:
In Australia I somewhat agree, but I turned to this because I'm overseas and it sucked so badly.

Fair enough, but I suppose then people need to consider whether there is really much incentive (both financially and in viewership) for the AFL and Telstra to advance their streaming coverage to the level of, say, an NBA League Pass or NFL Redzone, primarily for international viewership (given the comparative ease of access Australian residents have to watch the game through more "traditional" means like television or ground attendance). Unfortunately for some, I just don't think that incentive is there right now, and unless the AFL wants to far more aggressively promote and expand the game beyond our shores in the next decade, it might not ever be.

On demand viewership is definitely worth their time. It's decreasing returns right now (the service already would be amazingly profitable IMO) but it's also the future of viewing.

I've got Foxtel and have my iPad and computer as my devices for FoxtelGo. Anyone know why the AFL channel FoxFooty isn't avail when I use FoxtelGo on my computer but is when viewing on my iPad?

This.

Never fails to amaze me the number of people using the Internet, who either have no idea what sort of connections they have, or how they work. Obviously not everyone is a tech-head who knows (or cares), but the general public's lack of understanding (an expectations that arise from this) is as big a problem with internet services in Australia as much as anything else.
Agree.

The speed test results from an article a few years ago suggested this. US carriers have download limits and gate speeds when limit is exceeded.

The slowest gated speed was still faster than the best available download speed in Australia.

Im sure its improved but the point still stands.

Go Catters

new idea. currently fox are doing a 2 week free trial of foxtel go/play. so just keep creating new emails and usernames and get 2 weeks free for as long as I can. after that I might just cop the $50 a month. Don't watch a whole lot of EPL, but love league/watch bundesliga on p2p streaming which you can usually get in close to HD if you know the right sites. Also really into the food channel and lifestyle channel as of the last 5 hours
Can't do that it is one trial per device

You don't have to pay for a VPN - just install the Hola plug-in through Firefox and select a country other than Australia. Too easy.

yeah, I did this last year. Hola works well and is free.

Use the United States as your 'home'. Just stream through your desk top computer.

I've got Foxtel and have my iPad and computer as my devices for FoxtelGo. Anyone know why the AFL channel FoxFooty isn't avail when I use FoxtelGo on my computer but is when viewing on my iPad?
it states that on the signup page too. maybe to avoid recording games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used the app all last year and mirrored through apple TV from the iPhone - which is a lot smoother than from a laptop. Then last week all of a sudden, the media stopped loading once I went to mirror. First it was just pushing audio through the apple TV home screen, so I had to enable the screen copy function (pain in the dick if you get notifications), and then this weekend they've cancelled the ability to push through the apple TV all together. Really shitty if you're a fan of a bottom 8 club and live in Sydney.

Weighing up my options now - don't REALLY want to fork out $50/month for foxtel on the xbox but fast realising it might be my only option to see 6 months of action. Which is a ******* rort.

[/rant]

Ive used it last season no probs. then same as you - it pushes audio but no video.

I turned mirroring on and that worked - but its only using half the screen.

I will have to try the lightning to hdmi -

Pretty annoyed at the quality though - im on nbn and id love to stream hd - i dont think the afl realise what a goldmine this will be - i wouldnt pay a cent to rupert but would happily fork out 200 clams a season for hd streaming

Never had any problems.

Watch full games live on my tablet. 4G and I wont have a single buffer stop all season.

Works amazingly well.

Apple IPhone Lightning HDMI adapters are $70 and a one off purchase I would strongly advise making to get connect your phone straight to the TV without Telstra messing you around.

I have had zero problems since doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about doing this too, what's the quality like?

Have used the previous two seasons without any issues - let my subscription auto-renew this year and now find I can't send via Airplay anymore - pretty p*ssed off.
Anyway,bit the bullet and signed up for Foxtel last week - after some wrangling,they waived the set-up fee - so it was $600. Because I paid the full $600 up-front - if I cancel after 6 months,I get the remaining 6 months of the costs of the Sports package refunded back to my account (i.e 6 x 25 = $150) - so it's essentially $450 for the AFL season.;)

Thinking about doing this too, what's the quality like?

Fairly solid, watched WCE vs Fremantle last night and occasionally I have to squint to read minor statistics (like DT/ranking points at Half Time) but otherwise I am very happy with it.

Ive just been looking at the foxtel forum and it appears that they have deliberately crippled the app for airplay

http://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/F...ks-well-Mirror-to-TV-only-get-sound/td-p/3919

Typical arrogant arsewipe behavior weve come to know and love from australian broadcasting.

Im deactivating afl live and going to use "other" methods of sourcing online content.

Id suggest the more of us that do the same the more likely they are to de-cripple it

Why do they have to be turds all the time?
When are they going to figure out that if people are prepared to pay good cash for something - treat them as customers not wallets.

To be fair Foxtel paid for the rights to broadcast so it is only fair they prevent you mirroring from your tablet or phone.

It's easy enough to work around the geoblocking for a superior service so your better off just doing that (or investing in a lightbing->HDMI cable for your TV).

To be fair Foxtel paid for the rights to broadcast so it is only fair they prevent you mirroring from your tablet or phone.

It's easy enough to work around the geoblocking for a superior service so your better off just doing that (or investing in a lightbing->HDMI cable for your TV).

Which service can you unblock - my mate in canada cant get afl live.

What they need to remember is there is more than one way to skin a cat. They keep forgetting this. Whilst it was easy to pay and get what i want i did it.

If they make it difficult.....

Which service can you unblock - my mate in canada cant get afl live.

What they need to remember is there is more than one way to skin a cat. They keep forgetting this. Whilst it was easy to pay and get what i want i did it.

If they make it difficult.....

The website for international streaming is watchafl.afl.com.au. Your mate in Canada can definitely access this service.

So can you - all you need to do is download Hola as an extension/plugin for your browser and this allows you to select any country at the click of a button. You can then stream live footy to your desktop and connect to your TV via HDMI if you like.

Service is still not as good as Foxtel but way cheaper and is definitely watchable compared to the local service for mobile devices.

You should also note the government and courts in Australia have previously stated/ruled that getting around geoblocks is not illegal so you are not doing anything illegal (although you may be breaching the terms of service). You will still have to pay for the subscription service which is about $150 a year.

The website for international streaming is watchafl.afl.com.au. Your mate in Canada can definitely access this service.

So can you - all you need to do is download Hola as an extension/plugin for your browser and this allows you to select any country at the click of a button. You can then stream live footy to your desktop and connect to your TV via HDMI if you like.

Service is still not as good as Foxtel but way cheaper and is definitely watchable compared to the local service for mobile devices.

You should also note the government and courts in Australia have previously stated/ruled that getting around geoblocks is not illegal so you are not doing anything illegal (although you may be breaching the terms of service). You will still have to pay for the subscription service which is about $150 a year.

Cheers for that - i have an existing vpn i use - hopefully that will work

Is the feed in sd or hd do you know?

The current afl live is in fairly shitty resolution

Remove this Banner Ad

Back