AFL Live Pass

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love to know what they stream the other sports in, because it's like you are there with the basketball and all the Soccer codes. With Footy, it is just a bit off...
Prob the footy is often upscaled sd as fuquit channel 7 refuse to give them a hd feed.

Upscaled sd is better than sd but it aint hd

Pretty happy with the Foxtel $39 month deal. Was on another plan for some years, but it was easy enough to get it changed when threatening to cancel my subscription with them.

I used the AFL Live pass on the weekend to watch the footy, and the resolution on my phone was terrible, I was on Wifi and like Kranky Al, I have a great internet speed.

I cancelled my Foxtel subscription at the end of last year, but I'm seriously considering the $273 it would cost to have Foxtel for the footy season. It's not that much more expensive than the $189 per year then the overseas Watch AFL pass would cost after paying for VPN.

Any Foxtel customers like myself who have had it for years and are filthy that they're now charging $39, yet because I'm not a new customer, I'm still stuck on $69!

Ring and say u wanna cancel
They will cut u a deal.

The latest broadcast agreement is truly disgusting.

With the AFLs help it is now virtually impossible to comfortably/easily or even pay to view games on your home TV without going through Foxtel.
Every time someone comes up with a work around such as streaming from your phone to TV Foxtel finds a way to stop it. Even if you are able to cast to your tv then quality ends up being rubbish.

The only option remaining now is the local pub or VPN: which isn't always reliable, difficult to setup on your TV for those not familiar, plus you're still paying for the VPN + subscription anyway. Oh and btw, the subscription fee still goes to Rupert.

If anyone knows a way to purchase live games for home TV viewing and bypass Foxtel PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

I wish the AFL would take a look at what other sports organisations around the world do and look to follow those models. I had a the NFL subscription for a couple of years and that was fantastic.

Or hey, something like what the WWE network has. Maybe you get all the live games, you can rewatch a massive back catalogue of games (e.g. i want to watch the 1990 AFL grand final, click click, away we go), and a whole host of news and analysis shows. $10-15 a month. Bang.

Well, I guess no point in dreaming, this wont ever happen.

The only other way I know to get games is if you can subscribe to a (fairly legally questionable) IPTV service that gets heaps of US and UK channels. AFL games are broadcast on FS2 and FoxSoccer and some other channels, usually because the games are on at an odd time over there. But it is basically the Fox Sport coverage. Because these IPTV services are questionable, they can sometimes be a bit flakey, and because it is up to whatever those US and UK channels get you might not have all the games. I think last year maybe 70-ish% of games were available.

Look on reddit for IPTV. Then look on a site like https://www.afana.com/tvsched to see the schedule of games on US channels. Then meet the 2 together...

But as I said, it isnt a guaranteed service.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latest broadcast agreement is truly disgusting.

With the AFLs help it is now virtually impossible to comfortably/easily or even pay to view games on your home TV without going through Foxtel.
Every time someone comes up with a work around such as streaming from your phone to TV Foxtel finds a way to stop it. Even if you are able to cast to your tv then quality ends up being rubbish.

The only option remaining now is the local pub or VPN: which isn't always reliable, difficult to setup on your TV for those not familiar, plus you're still paying for the VPN + subscription anyway. Oh and btw, the subscription fee still goes to Rupert.

If anyone knows a way to purchase live games for home TV viewing and bypass Foxtel PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

Did you not read my post a couple above? If you have a Telstra mobile it costs you nothing this way.

You can use software called Kodi. You can install it on your phone and chromecast. Or install it on a PC or android tv (or android tv box).

The picture is okay, but not fantastic. You will need decent internet. If with Telstra mobile, it will be data free if not on wifi.

Install Kodi. Install AFL add on (see links below for instructions), put AFL Live Pass details in and you're good to go.

http://aussieaddons.com/addons/afl/
http://aussieaddons.com/installation/
Get kodi from kodi.tv or play store.

Last edited:
Did you not read my post a couple above? If you have a Telstra mobile it costs you nothing this way.

You can use software called Kodi. You can install it on your phone and chromecast. Or install it on a PC or android tv (or android tv box).

The picture is okay, but not fantastic. You will need decent internet. If with Telstra mobile, it will be data free if not on wifi.

The picture is worse than sd - it looks like it was recorded with a potato

Install Kodi. Install AFL add on (see links below for instructions), put AFL Live Pass details in and you're good to go.

Yes I have, but was informed that using Kodi on a 65" TV is not worth the effort due to sub standard picture quality

Another option for people living out of their home state

If you have a foxtel dish on the roof already

Buy a v.a.s.t satellite box and register it using your home state address and say you are using it to caravan around your home state.

Doesnt matter where you are in australia - you get home state fta tv

The foxtel dish is pointed at the same satellite = voila - free footy (obviously beter for wa, sa fans and big club vic fans)

I wish the AFL would take a look at what other sports organisations around the world do and look to follow those models. I had a the NFL subscription for a couple of years and that was fantastic.

Or hey, something like what the WWE network has. Maybe you get all the live games, you can rewatch a massive back catalogue of games (e.g. i want to watch the 1990 AFL grand final, click click, away we go), and a whole host of news and analysis shows. $10-15 a month. Bang.

Well, I guess no point in dreaming, this wont ever happen.

AFL does exactly what every other sport does. NFL pass is blacked out if the games are on fta or cable.

Also at $15 a mth you'd need twice the subscribers netflix has in Aus just to break even on the $250mil the rights cost.

Last edited:
Why would you watch it on your phone when you could just use the afl app for that?

As I said, it's not perfect, but it's workable and it opens up options for people who want to consider it.
I did use the afl app for that

Thats how i watched it on the ph

It was pants definition

I did use the afl app for that

Thats how i watched it on the ph

It was pants definition

I was talking about kodi, not the afl app.

I think you've made it clear you don't like the quality. I think I've also made it clear that via kodi the quality isn't the best but it os watchable for those without foxtel.

Need to repeat yourself again now?

I was talking about kodi, not the afl app.

I think you've made it clear you don't like the quality. I think I've also made it clear that via kodi the quality isn't the best but it os watchable for those without foxtel.

Need to repeat yourself again now?
I was under the impression you were casting the afl app using kodi?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back