Red Crow

Modrarator
Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Is there a possibility that the Toyota logo could become a part of the official logo in a similar way the NRL logo features Telstra quite prominently?

View attachment 687624

If we did end up with something similar it would cause some sticky issues for multiple teams who have different car manufacturers on their jumper
Thats not the league logo though, its the equivalent of the current AFL Toyota Premiership logo we see painted on the ground. The NRL have used the sponsored version on their jerseys for probably close to 20 years now for some reason.

The actual league logo for the NRL is just a simplified version of what they already had.

E590572B-C77C-4B81-8A3D-51317E656E02.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Storm20

Been Here A Long Time
Aug 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Everton, GGFC
On a few comments above, people forget that creative agencies don't just come in and redesign a logo. They redesign an entire brand, a logo is really only a small part of this, and a large rebrand should transcend all the way through from applications to 'tone of voice'. I'm curious as to whether this rebrand will flow down to all local leagues as well, or if it's just at the top-flight.

I will be very disappointed if we moved into the arena of the NRL and allow for corporate sponsorship on the League logo though.

E92_

Aug 10, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats
Minimalism has been popular for a fair few years now. If you chase current trends you end up becoming outdated pretty quickly.

The current logo is actually doing a fine job.

People forget that it had initially had a silver gradient style oval rather than white, and darker red depth lines on the inner oval, but this was only used online and in some print formats but not on the guernseys or playing fields.

After a couple of years the more complicated version of the logo was turfed.

I have an ochre prototype that has the an old version of the current logo, pretty interesting as the previous AFL logo is watermarked all over the guernsey.

Storm20

Been Here A Long Time
Aug 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Everton, GGFC
I forgot about that brand book from NASA that was released. One of the designers at my old work bought the NYTA Handbook though, it was glorious!

caloschwaby

The One and Only
Jan 3, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Renegades, Packers
What about an A with where the horizontal stick goes in the letter joining the sides is
Replaced by a football.

So it’s A with a football joining the sides.

Simple and obvious.
T21408949.MEDIUM.jpg

Might look better with proper execution, but this is from the ACTAFL (what a mouthful) all the way back in 1987.

MIKE85

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Change for the sake of change, as per everything when it comes to the AFL execs. Why they feel the need to constantly mess with **** is beyond. Just leave it alone, it's fine as it is. 20 years isn't even a long time. 100% guarantee they put f**king names on the back of jumpers in the next decade too, and I bloody hate that idea.

I do not like change :mad:

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Feel like this is overkill. 20 years old and it’s still as futuristic and timeless today. NRL’s logo isn’t instantly recognizable as AFL, so hence why they keep changing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bowakawa

Major Leagues
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Weird that they think the current one can’t be recoloured, especially since they did it for a commemorative c’wood jumper

I guess they probably want an identifiable symbol like the AFLW logo - it does look slightly dated next to the W logo - if they’re using the same design firm as they did for that one then I’m hopeful.

El_Scorcho

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
They've said overtly why they think they need a change. They want something that is better able to be transferred across different uses, like AFLW and the state leagues that operate under the AFL logo. This is something that already occurs for cricket and rugby league to pretty good effect. It's about bringing everything under the AFL banner together in a more modern way.

The current logo is a little dated, certainly. It's held up okay but it's definitely a product of it's time. It's certainly nothing timeless and irreplaceable like the NFL/MLB/NBA logos. I actually think the classic VFL and SANFL logos are far more timeless but both leagues have adopted strange modfied versions for no good reason.

I'm personally against the logo being recoloured for individual teams, I think it should be the same colours for everyone, but I fully expect it to be recoloured for every team as the A-League logo is.

I expect that it won't go too abstract, and that we'll still see the AFL text featuring prominently. How they decide to work that in with the subsidiary versions will be interesting.

Barrybran

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
What about an A with where the horizontal stick goes in the letter joining the sides is
Replaced by a football.

So it’s A with a football joining the sides.

Simple and obvious.
View attachment 687668

Might look better with proper execution, but this is from the ACTAFL (what a mouthful) all the way back in 1987.

The logo immediately prior to the current one was just an 'A' and was updated to the current logo specifically to address the confusion surrounding what the logo meant in non-AFL states. You can bet your house on the letters 'A', 'F' and 'L' featuring in the updated logo.

Harry Harvey

glebegreyhound
Apr 18, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
UTS Bats, Manly Marlins
Intially very surprised the majority believe in the new logo, Ive grown up with it and now have come round to agree with a new look.
I rekon red, white and blue are essential for the league brand I.D., anyone think otherwise?

caloschwaby

The One and Only
Jan 3, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Intially very surprised the majority believe in the new logo, Ive grown up with it and now have come round to agree with a new look.
I rekon red, white and blue are essential for the league brand I.D., anyone think otherwise?
Maybe blue+white, and the other colour can change based on the team?

caloschwaby

The One and Only
Jan 3, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
1559882921434.png
1559882941952.png

This is basically my idea, not sure if it works out better than I thought it would but it really just highlights how good the currently logo is that you can still do this sort of thing 20+ years on and it looks fine.

DiamondGuy

Farkelife
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich
One colour, which can be any colour. You heard it here first

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
bring back a badge with a football on it, keep it red, blue, white ...the australian flag colours. Dont try and be fancy with goalposts/sherrin

Zer0

Draftee
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm calling that they'll do something similar to the top half the of Team GWS logo

IMG_0421.JPG

magpienato

The Swooping Magpie
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
This is sorta what I was thinking too. Not sure how its gonna look on jumpers but either way id still prefer the current.
Weighing up everything I've read and heard on this matter, I think the reluctant medium would be something like:
On SM-G960U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Top Bottom