News AFL Logo to be redesigned

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd give you the 1s look like that, but the rounded numbers, 0, 2,3 & 6 all look round, and not block.
See Mark Scott (19) picking him up after one of the marks v Essendon, and Michael Roberts (10) walking through the same shot.
Then Robert Elphingstone (33) in the next shot against Fitzroy, clearly the rounded 3s
That and they have the black line insert in the middle of them.
Anyone know the link to the logo patent site?
I remember when the doggies rebranded theirs it was already patented a year before release.

And it was shared here.

This could already be done.

Ed note: will search later when on a pc later as I know this forum has a search function...

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/t...k/result?q=australian+football+league#_554779

Pretty huge task - this is the brand for the country’s biggest sports league. $100k won’t just be for a logo, it will be a full marketing and branding package built by professionals.

Pretty huge task - this is the brand for the country’s biggest sports league. $100k won’t just be for a logo, it will be a full marketing and branding package built by professionals.

As well as replacing signage (like the big sign at AFL house), coffee mugs, envelopes, letterheards, other logos (GF, Finals Series, The AFL Store).

What people tend to forget is that the 600k is inclusive of replacing the old logo everywhere we see it, not just designing the new logo. A similar discussion was raised when ASIC minimally changed their logo but the cost was high

Being in my late 30's, I've grown up with the VFL logo and both iterations of the AFL logo. I definitely think it's due for an update, but I think they need to be careful not to go too far and have it be overly "designed".
It should also keep a consistent branding across the different arms of the competition, from AFLW down to the relevant state and regional comps.

Really interesting that this has come up now. Probably 12 months ago, I started on a pretty big portfolio around the future of AFL. Its still nowhere near finished, because I’ve had moments where I’ve struggled for inspiration, hated what I’d done and started again or just plain had periods where I had no time to work on it.

Two pillars of this project have come out since as legitimate prospects IRL - a national reserves competition and a new league logo.

The logo is complete and I’m actually pretty happy with it. It revolves around evolution rather than revolution. The current logo is pretty recognisable, but I think its fair to say it does look very early-2000s. My version was designed to be sleeker, modular and have the ability to adapt to different colour schemes, all things that I would suggest the real new logo would likely do.

Not sure now whether to post it here yet or wait for the portfolio to be finished. Maybe I’ll have some inspiration to get back into the project now.

I will say though, if some of the other elements of the portfolio come true it would be a massive story...

When looking at changing the AFL logo we should look at the changes in International Competitions Logos and see how much they change.
Here is a comparison of the AFL logo with that of the NFL, the NBA and Major League Baseball.

No big changes, removing the stripes from the NFL and the words from the MBL. Could be some changes to include an AFLW and a AFLX logos, but the change in the logo last time did want it was meant to do.

I bet intial reaction will be WTF no why change it etc and after a few months of the new logo, we will all look at the old logo and realise how out of date it is. Same thing happened in F1.. 30 year old logo, when it changed there was uproar but now the old one looks very outdated images.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia must be emphasised. Maybe just “Australian Football”. I hate it when those in the rugby states call our sport AFL! That’s the league sure. But our sport is AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL! Maybe no letters in the logo but just a footy on a map? Now that minimalist.

I don't think the current logo looks dated in the slightest. If you want to know what a dated logo looks like, check out NASA's. Deadset belongs back in the 60s.
The nasa logo is pretty popular and the wordmark is timeless. I look at this and just see a beautiful piece of design, not as keen on the blue circle logo but the NASA branding from back in the day is pretty good stuff. If the guys doing the AFL rebrand could get it working was well as that then I don't think we could have too many complaints.

The nasa logo is pretty popular and the wordmark is timeless. I look at this and just see a beautiful piece of design, not as keen on the blue circle logo but the NASA branding from back in the day is pretty good stuff. If the guys doing the AFL rebrand could get it working was well as that then I don't think we could have too many complaints.

beautiful stuff on that link.

It will be much more than $100k too. Six figure means anything up to just under a mil.

The scope of this project... $100k would be getting off very lightly.

It will be much more than $100k too. Six figure means anything up to just under a mil.

The scope of this project... $100k would be getting off very lightly.

Sorry my misread - still though, I think it’s a fair price tag to rebrand one of the biggest brands in the country.

People saying it’s too much money are either underestimating how much work goes into this, or just disrespecting the design profession altogether.

Sorry my misread - still though, I think it’s a fair price tag to rebrand one of the biggest brands in the country.

People saying it’s too much money are either underestimating how much work goes into this, or just disrespecting the design profession altogether.
I definitely fall into the former. I just assumed they were being paid to make a new logo. Didn't realise there was anymore involved than that.

Australia must be emphasised. Maybe just “Australian Football”. I hate it when those in the rugby states call our sport AFL! That’s the league sure. But our sport is AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL! Maybe no letters in the logo but just a footy on a map? Now that minimalist.
Just in general if they’d stop slapping their name on everything it might help. “AFL Victoria”
“AFL South East”

Is there a “FIFA Australia” somewhere too?

Unforunately its the AFL themselves pushing the AFL brand onto the sport itself. I can’t see them moving away from that any time soon.

What about an A with where the horizontal stick goes in the letter joining the sides is
Replaced by a football.

So it’s A with a football joining the sides.

Simple and obvious.

This is overdue. I think the new NRL logo is awesome, I almost bought a jersey despite having no interest.

Looks like a polarising issue but from the sounds of the article I think those of you who are against now will be for it a year after it starts being used.

Is there a possibility that the Toyota logo could become a part of the official logo in a similar way the NRL logo features Telstra quite prominently?

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 2.07.40 pm.png

If we did end up with something similar it would cause some sticky issues for multiple teams who have different car manufacturers on their jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back