hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The NRL have used the sponsored version on their jerseys for probably close to 20 years now for some reason.
To me I'm surprised we haven't gone down this path yet, especially when they have with AFLW already.
Most competitions seem to have the competition logo on the kit. NBA, MLB, NFL use the same logo for the competition as the governing body in the regular season but postseason have logos which also go on the kit (correct me if I'm wrong, and also they don't have sponsors on said logos).

We could have pre-season jumpers with the JLT Series logo, which would mean the kid who plays for Essendon in their home kit against the Eagles in Joondalup doesn't yet get a "proper" match guernsey, the premiership season logo for rounds 1-23, Indigenous Round etc logos as needed, and the Finals Series logo in September before the GF logo.
With or without sponsor, I don't mind.

Long point short - the guys playing in the world cup at the moment have the World Cup logo not the ICC logo.

This is sorta what I was thinking too. Not sure how its gonna look on jumpers but either way id still prefer the current.

On SM-G960U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well whatever the new logo looks like, there will--in addition to variations for each competition--probably be variations based on the media in which it appears (be it the website/app, jumpers, signage, press releases etc). For instance:

AFL2020LogoExamps2_zps05swxftt.png

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Well whatever the new logo looks like, there will--in addition to variations for each competition--probably be variations based on the media in which it appears (be it the website/app, jumpers, signage, press releases etc). For instance:

AFL2020LogoExamps2_zps05swxftt.png
That looks fresh as :thumbsu: Only thing I can suggest is to play around with the 'AFL' part and see if you can make it fit into the logo better but apart from that if we had to go for a new logo I'd pick this for sure.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
It won't happen but I'd like to see a logo for the AFL as an administrative body, and then one for the AFL Men's Premiership and AFL Women's Premiership that are variants on each other.

I really don't feel the need for a change, I haven't seen any concepts here that are better than the current (with respect to those posters who are giving it a go)

I really don't feel the need for a change, I haven't seen any concepts here that are better than the current (with respect to those posters who are giving it a go)
Because what you've seen here are concepts, not fully developed creations. The amount of work it takes to transform the germ of an idea into a finished product shouldn't be underestimated. The current logo is the result of heavy refinement which likely bares little resemblance to its first draft.

On a broader note, it's a good opportunity to reset and instill some consistency so that most of the AFL's branding isn't designed as an afterthought (such as the finals/grand final logo, to take one easy example).

Because what you've seen here are concepts, not fully developed creations. The amount of work it takes to transform the germ of an idea into a finished product shouldn't be underestimated. The current logo is the result of heavy refinement which likely bares little resemblance to its first draft.

On a broader note, it's a good opportunity to reset and instill some consistency so that most of the AFL's branding isn't designed as an afterthought (such as the finals/grand final logo, to take one easy example).
I'm fully aware of the difference between a concept and a final product, but I have not been inspired by the concepts at all and stand by my view that the logo is perfectly fine as it is.
It's not in a need for change yet, imo

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Love it. I think this clean look will be what the AFL is after.

Can you try a monochrome version in black and white for Collingwood? I'd love to see a version adapted to each team.
Here's all of them adapted to the best of my ability. Looks good for some teams, but in practice they may need to be altered depending on what jumper a team wears which could be an issue.
1560165905039.png

If it ends up being so close to what it is now, what's the point??

I think the current AFL logo is good, but a minor 'refresh' would be even better (like the 2008 change to the NFL logo). Something as simple as adjusting the font so it fits within the oval and can be outlined (as magpienato demonstrated) would be fantastic and just freshens and modernises it a little

I'm fully aware of the difference between a concept and a final product, but I have not been inspired by the concepts at all and stand by my view that the logo is perfectly fine as it is.
It's not in a need for change yet, imo
It sounded like you were saying "keep the current logo because the perfect replacement didn't fall into our laps within a matter of days". But on second thought, I'm sure that can't be what you meant to say. Some good arguments against change have been made in this thread, however that wouldn't be one of them.

Zer0

Team Captain
May 16, 2019
NSW/ACT
AFL Club
Melbourne
Here's all of them adapted to the best of my ability. Looks good for some teams, but in practice they may need to be altered depending on what jumper a team wears which could be an issue.
View attachment 690170

I don't think they'd tailor it for each individual team, but rather have set templates using only one colour to cover the whole comp, like the NRL

They'd have:

Red
Black
White
Navy blue
Royal blue
Yellow

That would cover the whole comp, with the exception of GWS, who would use the black instead of charcoal, and teams with one option, like Freo only being able to use white, well they could use red as an option.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
I don't think they'd tailor it for each individual team, but rather have set templates using only one colour to cover the whole comp, like the NRL

They'd have:

Red
Black
White
Navy blue
Royal blue
Yellow

That would cover the whole comp, with the exception of GWS, who would use the black instead of charcoal, and teams with one option, like Freo only being able to use white, well they could use red as an option.
I was just thinking that. And all would potentially have white or black outlines, if they want two colours on the guernsey. So...
Crows - Navy with white outline
Lions - Royal or yellow with white to match their numbers (ew..)
Essendon - black with white
Freo - white with black?... *shudders*
GWS - black with white
Hawks - yellow with white
Dees - red with white
Port - black with white
Tigers - black with white or yellow with black
Saints - red or black with white
Eagles - yellow with white
Dogs - royal with white.

I guess the logo is printed anyway, so like the AFL logo in the numbers, they could really do whatever their hearts desired, unless the AFL steps in.

Exodus

Draftee
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
First post, but I'm interested in all things design related so this something that piques my interest. I understand the sentiments that surround the AFL logo but there is an element of outdatedness to it. The earlier post about the F1 logo is a perfect example of a good rebrand in my eyes.

I could see this going a few ways:

The current branding lends itself to a rework into a simple wordmark style logo, keeping just the 3 letters to make a strong wordmark that can be deployed across all segments, Womens, Local Footy, etc.

Or I could see it being a rework into a new font for the letters, a simplification of the oval and maybe an overall ‘flattening’ of the logo to simplify it.

That's just what's going on in my head. Definitely some interesting concepts in this thread!

Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
1560223063663.png

well it is kinda the vfa/vfl/afl league, (if they add vfa history lol) and it is kinda victorian centred since it dont include other state league, that logo seems appropriate

Somebody either in this thread or on the mainboard said they hoped for simplicity rather than an overstylised thing with goalposts etc. But I don't know, I suspect the temptation will be too hard to resist, lot of possibilities to explore there and it wouldn't need to be complicated.
AFL_goalpostlogo2.png

Somebody either in this thread or on the mainboard said they hoped for simplicity rather than an overstylised thing with goalposts etc. But I don't know, I suspect the temptation will be too hard to resist, lot of possibilities to explore there and it wouldn't need to be complicated.
View attachment 690580

latest

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
View attachment 690580
reminds me of our Port Adelaide interim logo before the Port Power one:
1560248900547.png

Last edited:
Back