News AFL Logo to be redesigned

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
View attachment 754614

Bit of an idea I had in my head just roughly made it up to see what it looked like.
Was also of thinking the ball could just be negative space like this:

View attachment 754619

Nice design but the logo will always have “AFL” in it. It was one of the major drivers for changing from the old “A” logo - they want everything branded AFL.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Nice design but the logo will always have “AFL” in it. It was one of the major drivers for changing from the old “A” logo - they want everything branded AFL.

Yeah exactly this. I can’t see them going back to just an ‘A’ logo. Brand recognition is vital.

Zer0

Team Captain
May 16, 2019
NSW/ACT
AFL Club
Melbourne
Predicting the new AFL logo will be just a capital 'A' with styled goalposts making the bottom of the A and the cutout

I had a spare 10 mins today, and had a little play around on MS Paint (!!!) For proof of concept.

I didn't have anyway of taking the images off the computer apart from taking a photo of the screen.

This is just mucking around and I'm not committed to the design apart from the capital A and the goalposts, so feel free to mock up your own designs.

The first one is just the A, but is too simplistic.

The 2nd is pretty much what I envisioned.

3rd is just expanding it with a footy and AFL text

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While I agree with many others that they won't go down the path of just the "A" logo, this is one of the best I've seen done.
if the problem in 2000 was that people from non-footy states didn't know what it meant, that's not a problem anymore. the league has grown exponentially since then

if the problem in 2000 was that people from non-footy states didn't know what it meant, that's not a problem anymore. the league has grown exponentially since then
I think it's more for the AFL preparing for international marketing. It's a similar problem to the whole non-footy states not understanding.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
View attachment 763999View attachment 764000

Couldn't decide between these two, leaning towards the first. wanted a throwback to the old VFL logo, something iconic and simple
Second one for me. Just takes away the generic shape a bit.
And I'd love to somehow keep the stitching on the footy being like goal/behind posts like the current one.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Second one for me. Just takes away the generic shape a bit.
And I'd love to somehow keep the stitching on the footy being like goal/behind posts like the current one.

It's the shape of the old VFL logo. I don't think it needs to be weirdly complex with sharp edges and whatever, it's simple and iconic and it looks good on a jumper.

I just don’t see why it needs to change?? Typical AFL changing things for the sake of it. It’s fine as is.
Agree, I feel this is Gils way of leaving his change/Mark on the game

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The fixture, the grand final, clash jumpers, blockbuster games... that’s just thinking on the spot
The fixture? In what way? The 10 Victorian clubs are entitled to an aggregate of 110 home games in Victoria, but 10 games are played in other states or territories.

The Grand Final? It's always been at the G. It didn't seem to pose an issue from 2001-06 when six different clubs from other states won the comp. Or WCE last year. Great teams - the best teams - win on whatever ground they're scheduled to play on.

Clash jumpers? Not actually sure what this even means. Most clubs as far as I understand have to wear clash jumpers? Hell, Richmond won their 2017 flag in the gold jumper.

Blockbuster games? Every interstate club has 2 x derbies/showdowns/battles each year, do they not? Aside from that most Melbourne clubs have similar - Pies have Anzac Day & QB, Melbourne Anzac Eve & QB, Essendon Anzac Day & Dreamtime, Richmond Anzac Eve & Dreamtime. Even North have gotten in on the act hosting Good Friday in recent years. Hawthorn & Geelong get Easter Monday. Is it because they're all played at the MCG (bar North's Easter game)?

Anyway back to the topic at hand - not sure we're gonna see this proposed re-design this off-season. Probably 2021?

View attachment 687668

Might look better with proper execution, but this is from the ACTAFL (what a mouthful) all the way back in 1987.
I remember those days (or day as it has transpired), back when the mighty Tuggeranong Bulldogs was the best team in Canberra. I don't think we've made the finals since.

Last edited:
Back