News AFL looking at trading of future draft picks

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ng-of-future-draft-picks-20141204-1207rm.html

The AFL will seriously consider allowing clubs to trade future draft picks - adopting a model from American sports - with a number of clubs and influential figures in favour of the right to trade draft selections a year in advance.

The AFL draft working group includes Clayton, Geelong recruiting boss Stephen Wells, Adelaide football operations chief David Noble. It is chaired by AFL's head of integrity Brett Clothier.

With the potential of this system to be introduced in 2015, it may be handy for us if we are a chance in securing Aish and if the rumours are true, Cameron.

The only problem that I foresee immediately is that Clubs may be a little reckless in forgoing draft picks. With that said though if it is only draft selections a year in advance, the damage would be minimal. Well you hope it would be.

Aish for our first rounders in 2015 and 2016?:eek:

EDIT - Interesting that Noble is on the working group! Hmmm timing!

I think it sounds good in principle, but what about when a team has a meteoric rise or fall. Using this years picks, if adelaide were to trade pick 10 and next years pick for jeremy cameron, you would be looking at pick 10 + pick 6-14 (thereabouts), definitely changes the value of the trade. Pick 10 + pick 14 almost worth pick 6 itself depening on the quality of the draft. Or if we look at Port and their rise up the ladder, pick 7 in 2012 and then pick 14 (i think this is what they had pre-trade period). If some had accepted a trade with port thinking they were getting pick 7 and pick 10 (allowing for some movement up the table), they would be missing out quite a bit with port suddenly moving down in the picks.
Makes it a very risky trade

Terrible plan. Gives clubs the chance to completely **** themselves up, and then need to be rescued by the AFL, all while allowing clubs to bank picks for a dynasty. Completely at odds with the AFL's plan to equalise everything. Shouldn't and won't happen.

Brett Brown at the Philadelphia 76ers hopes he can hang on for a dynasty.

I like the idea, sport in the end is an entertainment industry so if it makes it more interesting (which I think it will) then go for it. Clubs won't destroy their future because I'm sure there would be some restrictions that will stop that from happening, plus Adelaide went 2 years without first and second round picks and still came out the other okay (so far).

Also if you haven't seen Draft Day then go watch it because it might change your point of view.

I think it's largely a true story as well.

I think it sounds good in principle, but what about when a team has a meteoric rise or fall. Using this years picks, if adelaide were to trade pick 10 and next years pick for jeremy cameron, you would be looking at pick 10 + pick 6-14 (thereabouts), definitely changes the value of the trade. Pick 10 + pick 14 almost worth pick 6 itself depening on the quality of the draft. Or if we look at Port and their rise up the ladder, pick 7 in 2012 and then pick 14 (i think this is what they had pre-trade period). If some had accepted a trade with port thinking they were getting pick 7 and pick 10 (allowing for some movement up the table), they would be missing out quite a bit with port suddenly moving down in the picks.
Makes it a very risky trade
It was no different with the trading of compo picks after players were pinched by GC or GWS. Teams had to predict how other teams would perform over the next few years to determine the true value of the pick. We absolutely stitched up GWS when we traded Pick 10 + First round compo pick (Davis) for Crouch and Brown. GWS activated the pick in 2012 I believe and it eventually turned into Pick 20 after we had a ripping year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

think it will work well, but rather the AFL draft to be held in the middle of a 2 week trade period with the availability of trading future picks

Terrible plan. Gives clubs the chance to completely **** themselves up, and then need to be rescued by the AFL, all while allowing clubs to bank picks for a dynasty. Completely at odds with the AFL's plan to equalise everything. Shouldn't and won't happen.
It works a bit better if they put "protection" on the picks. So if I trade a future 1st rounder, I can protect it and say that if it falls between 1-11 I keep it, but if it's 11-22 then it goes to the team I trade it too. Of course that lowers the value of it, but it guarantees i'm not selling off a really good pick if the team ends up sucking badly.

I've said before that if they do this, they also need to allow trading of picks during the live draft too so teams can shuffle picks around if they want a player that's fallen and want to move another pick up to guarantee they get him.

I like the idea, sport in the end is an entertainment industry so if it makes it more interesting (which I think it will) then go for it. Clubs won't destroy their future because I'm sure there would be some restrictions that will stop that from happening, plus Adelaide went 2 years without first and second round picks and still came out the other okay (so far).

Also if you haven't seen Draft Day then go watch it because it might change your point of view.

I think it's largely a true story as well.
Love that movie. Can watch the last 15 minutes over and over.

If you restrict the ability of the weaker clubs to do stuff, how will they ever catch the more powerful clubs?

Teams have to have freedom to be creative.

The big problem I see is that it dilutes the fan experience. Not just for teams without picks, we know that feeling, but it will unravel the great lie of the off season: that all drafts Are good. Many aren't, and you'll see people trade top 3 picks in a crappier years very easily for example, because the narrative will be public that this is a crap year.

How does a fan get excited when he is told point blank this year's prospects are a bit s**t. Even though we know, it's never pushed in our face. Suddenly a "very even" year or "a year with depth" perhap "runs to 30" or any of the euphemisms for garbage year will be out the window.

Woohoo! At least we got pick no.2 for our bad year, turns into the truth. That picks are not even from year to year. Some years you get trent cotchin some years you get Jono o'rourke.

Admitting to that is like telling the kids about santa.

Just in time for Geelong to trade their 2015 and 2016 first rounders for Damgerfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back