AFL Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 26, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL MACKAY is made up of 6 teams: North Mackay Saints, Mackay City Hawks, Eastern Swans Mackay, Bakers Creek Tigers, Whitsunday Sea Eagles and Moranbah Bulldogs.

With only 2 games till finals start there will be know change to the top 4. Saints will play the sea eagles for a place in the granny, and the hawks and swans for a spot in the prelim. I think it will be a saints vs eagles granny for the 3rd year in a row with the hawks bowing out in the prelim.

There was to be a big game this weekend to deicide who would win the wooden spoon between the bulldogs and Tigers. Unfortuantly the tigers had to forfit due player numbers (injury and unavailbilty). In other games the saints were taking on the eagles and hawks taking on the swans.

During the year;
In the first city vs country game played in the mackay league country won by a comfortable margin.

An afl mackay rep side was beaten by townsville by under 2 goals during the season also.

Herbs

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2006
Rockhampton
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Re: Afl Macakay

Is the Mackay league gonna start in Feb next year again? I know that I wouldn't like to be playing then. At the start of last year our team (Rockhampton Panthers) played a preseason game against North Mackay, they've got some gun players.

Mar 26, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Is the Mackay league gonna start in Feb next year again? I know that I wouldn't like to be playing then. At the start of last year our team (Rockhampton Panthers) played a preseason game against North Mackay, they've got some gun players.

I hope not herbs. We had our pre season carival in the last weekend of feb this year and it was about 35 degrees. To hot for footy even though the games were only 2 x 15 minute halves.

In my opinon our league is to long. We have 20 rounds plus preseason carival, city vs country and a rep game plus 4 byes in between all this. It's just to long. 15 rounds would be best. It will depend on the amount of teams next year and whether there is a restructure in the mackay area.

North Mackay are the team to beat at the moment especially after saturday's performance. Have got a very good side. There has been talk they will lose a couple of there better players next year but they have enough depth to still be more the competitive. They beat Whitsunday by 67 points on the weekend. I'm not sure if whitsunday had any players out but i thought the game would of been a lot closer best.

The hawks and swans game was a lot closer with hawks winning by 11 points.

I have also heard a rumour that AFL Mackay might be playing AFL Rochampton in a rep game next year. Would be good for both leagues to test themselves against each other.

How is jamie waasdorp been going for you guys this year. He is a super bloke and great player. Played with him in Vic for a couple of years, 1 when he won the league medal and was coach also.

Herbs

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2006
Rockhampton
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers

Yeah Dujon is a gun player, unfortunately he injured his knee again on Saturday against Glenmore, hopefully it's not too bad. Our league is 15 rounds with 3 or 4 byes, it's not too bad. As for rep footy, it'd be good for the Capricornia guys to face someone different, as our boys have beaten the Bundaberg/Wide Bay rep team the last four times or so with pretty decent margins.

The Thesbian

Rookie
Aug 22, 2008
Somerset
AFL Club
Hawthorn

How's Matthew Landt going with the North Mackay Saints?
I remember him being a good player in the late 90's, but his strange toenail collection used to freak the lads out at training!

Mar 26, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

How's Matthew Landt going with the North Mackay Saints?
I remember him being a good player in the late 90's, but his strange toenail collection used to freak the lads out at training!

I think he is still playing and might of even played his 200th game during the year.

Finals start today with North Mackay playing Whitsunday in the 2nd semi final and Mackay Hawks playing the Eastern Swans in 1st Semi Final (Elimination Final). I would think The saints to get home in a close 1, whitsunday do have a very good side. Hawks will probably win easily against the swans. Should be 2 good games of footy.

Last week saw North mackay flog Bakers creeK, Hawks over the bulldogs and whitsunday win easily over the swans.

Next will will be the prelim final with the league vote count to follow. Jon price from North Mackay will be looking to win 3 medals in a row and will more than likely win it.

Mar 26, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Big upset in yesterdays prelim with Eastern Swans defeating the more fancied Whitsunday sea eagles. From all accounts bad disposal was what cost the eagles the game.

Grand Final will between:
North Mackay vs Eastern Swans Seniors
North Mackay vs Mackay City Reserves
At Bakers Creek next Saturday.

League Vote Count was held last night in Mackay. John Price from North Mackay won for the 3rd year running with 28 votes from team-mates Jamie Muhor 22 votes and Peter Farrent 17 votes.

The Keg Player of year award: T Bone Moranbah Bulldogs 38 Votes From John Price North Mackay on 37 Votes and Chris Butcher Mackay City 36 Votes

Leading Goal-Kicker was Craig Dowdell 108 goals from North Mackay.

Reserves was won by Mackay City's Mick Jones on 9 votes.

Reserves Leading Goal-kicker was T Cute from Eastern Swans with 27 goals.

There was know Team of the year announced.

My tip for the grand final: North Mackay to win easily in the seniors, Eastern Swans tough finals campian to take its toll with Mackay City to win the reserves.

BakesFan

Senior List
Sep 1, 2005
Mackay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints

Big upset in yesterdays prelim with Eastern Swans defeating the more fancied Whitsunday sea eagles. From all accounts bad disposal was what cost the eagles the game.

Grand Final will between:
North Mackay vs Eastern Swans Seniors
North Mackay vs Mackay City Reserves
At Bakers Creek next Saturday.

League Vote Count was held last night in Mackay. John Price from North Mackay won for the 3rd year running with 28 votes from team-mates Jamie Muhor 22 votes and Peter Farrent 17 votes.

The Keg Player of year award: T Bone Moranbah Bulldogs 38 Votes From John Price North Mackay on 37 Votes and Chris Butcher Mackay City 36 Votes

Leading Goal-Kicker was Craig Dowdell 108 goals from North Mackay.

Reserves was won by Mackay City's Mick Jones on 9 votes.

Reserves Leading Goal-kicker was T Cute from Eastern Swans with 27 goals.

There was know Team of the year announced.

My tip for the grand final: North Mackay to win easily in the seniors, Eastern Swans tough finals campian to take its toll with Mackay City to win the reserves.

Awesome effort from Pricey for his 3rd MJ Miller medal in a strong Saints outfit.
Well done to Doodle on his 108 goals for the season.

Eastern Swans extremely lucky to make the seniors G.F. The Hawks and Sea Eagles far too wasteful in front of goals against the Swans. Well done to the Swans for taking their opportunity.

I'm looking forward to next weekend.. Saturday at Bakers Creek; hopefully celebrating 2 Nth Mackay Saints wins; and Sunday arvo in front of the telly trying to will the St Kilda Saints over the line against the Cats.

hayesy_27

Team Captain
May 29, 2007
Whitsundays
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whitsunday Sea Eagles

hey everyone. Just wondering how this league is? played in cairns 2 year ago and came back to vic this year but thinking of moving to airlie next year. Wats the comp like and has airlie got a team?

BakesFan

Senior List
Sep 1, 2005
Mackay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints

Saints WIN Seniors and Reserves Premierships!!:D:D

G'day hayesy_27, Airlie Beach does have a team. The Whitsunday Sea Eagles. They're a pretty competitive mob.. Grand Finalists last year, Premiers the year before. Knocked out in the pre-lim this season.

Nov 19, 2008
lamberts beach
AFL Club
St Kilda

For any prospective coaches out there local team Eastern Swans are looking for a coach for the 2009 season.Preferably a playing one with strong leadership qualities.
Swans were the club of origin for St Kilda player David Armitage and were coached to a flag in 2008 by Jim Urqhart the father of Kanga's Gavin.
Employment prospects are good in this coalrich town.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 26, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Seems a few clubs struggling to get a coach at the moment. I think the saints have a coach from down south the hawks i guess have kelly coaching them again, bulldogs yet to announce and im not sure on the eagles and tigers.

From what i can gather the season will kick off on 28/3/09 with the preseason carivnal at Airlie Beach. Round 1 will be the following week.

Also if any players are looking to play/train out Moranbah way come down for training at 6.30 on Tuesday's and Thursday nights at Stevenson Sports Ground.

Nov 19, 2008
lamberts beach
AFL Club
St Kilda

The opening round for AFL Mackay will be on the 4th of April as follows at the home grounds of the first named teams;
North Mackay v Moranbah
Eastern Swans v Bakers creek
Whitsunday v Mackay City

Doobie Renshaw

Debutant
Suspended
Sep 5, 2007
North Benalla

G'day up there. My club looks like picking up Nathan Horsfall for 2009. I believe he played up that way last year (Swans?). How does he go? What posi is he best suited to? Strengths/weaknesses?

Nov 19, 2008
lamberts beach
AFL Club
St Kilda

G'day up there. My club looks like picking up Nathan Horsfall for 2009. I believe he played up that way last year (Swans?). How does he go? What posi is he best suited to? Strengths/weaknesses?
I didn't see a lot of Swans games last season but when i did this fellow was the stand out player.Good size ,versatile positionally and pretty hard at the ball.Was reguarly amongst the goals booting bags of 4 and 5 in some matches.Also good leadership skills and was mooted as a possible playing Coach for the Swannies this year but obviously that did not happen.Good luck this year Doobie ,he gained a lot of respect in this competition.

AaronRussell

Draftee
Feb 2, 2009
Rockhampton
AFL Club
Sydney

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows of a john grecco i believe it is. Played in mackay last season?? How does he go? stregths and weaknesses?

FOOTY07!

Rookie
Jun 24, 2008
Australia

Whitsunday will have the services 4 good young footballers who are moving shortly to Airlie from Moama. One has played GVFL senior footy for Echuca and if he gets himself fit will be a huge recruit!

Nov 19, 2008
lamberts beach
AFL Club
St Kilda

sorry his name is actually jordan grecco?
Yeah Aaron i saw him play for the North Mackay Saints at least a couple of times.I can't remember him really standing out but believe he was a serviceable player and held his game in a very strong team with a few mentions amongst the best players.
Thing he is a solid ruckrover/flanker type who does the team things.
Wouldn't have held a game under coach Darren "pooh bear'Gwynne if he didn"t.
Gwynne has led the Saints to 5 of the last 8 flags with Whitsunday taking out the other 3.

AaronRussell

Draftee
Feb 2, 2009
Rockhampton
AFL Club
Sydney

Yeah Aaron i saw him play for the North Mackay Saints at least a couple of times.I can't remember him really standing out but believe he was a serviceable player and held his game in a very strong team with a few mentions amongst the best players.
Thing he is a solid ruckrover/flanker type who does the team things.
Wouldn't have held a game under coach Darren "pooh bear'Gwynne if he didn"t.
Gwynne has led the Saints to 5 of the last 8 flags with Whitsunday taking out the other 3.

Thanks JB, apparently he is very quick and fit. Any noted weaknesses?

Mar 26, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Doobie played against him last season. Is a good half forward flanker who knows where the goals are. Played a bit on the ball also. What comp so you guys play in?

Footy 07 who are they blokes going to play for Airlie beach this season?? Perhaps they may be the team to beat this season. From what i have heard the saints have lost 12 premiership players from last season. Hopefully it will be an even comp this year with not to many 30 goal hidings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back