AFL Mackay

Mar 26, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will be as lopsided as ever.
Mackay City made an artform of stealing Creekers personel.
Maybe you blokes at the swans should worry about fixing up your supporter behaviour than about what the hawks are up to. Not sure where your going with stealing bakers creek players they all come over on there own terms some for more opportunity some coaching some to play with mates. I wouldn't classify that as stealing.

bomber42

Debutant
May 1, 2012
gold coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe you blokes at the swans should worry about fixing up your supporter behaviour than about what the hawks are up to. Not sure where your going with stealing bakers creek players they all come over on there own terms some for more opportunity some coaching some to play with mates. I wouldn't classify that as stealing.

No Trevor Skinner in the crowd = No Problems at the footy

RDRR

Draftee
Jan 2, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The league has a new president, vice president womens/junior director, they only need to find a secretary/treasurer. So not all doom and gloom.
It was agreed at DEC 2014 AGM that 2015 would be 19 round season and 2016 season would go to 21 round season where all clubs played each other 3 times.
So pretty straight forward. Work draw back from Grand Final date.
The season needs to start before Easter so the junior season can start. If this doesn't occur then the juniors can potentially not play till Mid april or the start of may (due to break for school holidays) while all the other sporting codes have already started playing. This affects local clubs ability to recruit new junior players.
From what I have been told there is a meeting in the next week to confirm all age groups season starting date etc.

In finishing Most clubs have put up a lot of solutions but nothing has been agreed too.
Sounds like the clubs have finally realized that the "League" is actually them - good to hear!

21 rounds is like pulling teeth!

In a lopsided comp where there's really only 2 decent teams in each grade, you're basically playing 3 decent games a season, and 15 dead rubbers! Even worse for the Juniors, where in a 4 team comp they can play each other 7 times!

If you look around many of the regional comps around the country, very few play 21 rounds. Most come in around the 15 to 17 mark.

Agree they need to start earlier to capture people early while they're still keen, but maybe try finishing earlier, like mid August, once everyone's over it? Or a short 14 round season, with an extended preseason? Got to be a better solution than trying to flog a dead horse...

RDRR

Draftee
Jan 2, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can anyone confirm the rumour that Bakers and Whitsunday are both nominating ressies side this year?
You'd think Bakers long term future would be better served by nurturing their relationship with Sarina, and helping their Junior teams grow with the club to feed into the Senior ranks - rather than throw their money, time and effort into Ressies football?

I seem to recall Bakers having Ressies and Juniors a few years back, until someone decided they didn't need Juniors anymore, and would just focus on Ressies. How long did their Ressies (and almost their Seniors) survive after that?

As for Whitsunday - will they have a Senior team??

RDRR

Draftee
Jan 2, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hmmm...I'm not so sure
Name some Bakers Creek bred players...
Haha - you've busted out the old Margaret Thatcher "Name them" routine! LOL

Well it was 10 years ago - so there's nothing online, and I sadly haven't kept my collection of 2006 Footy Records! And it's not like any of the Bakers Juniors reached the dizzy heights of David Armitage ;)

But, have a sniff around the Hawks current list - there's bound to be a couple...

RDRR

Draftee
Jan 2, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Has anyone heard if there's been any progress on the draw? I had initially heard the season was starting today??

Back