Prediction AFL Magic Round - The not so subtle way to have CFC play a 6th Interstate game.

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s wrong with us playing a 6th interstate game?

Most teams play at least 10 interstate games (all interstate teams + Hawks + North)

If we truly see ourselves as the biggest club in the land, shouldn’t we be getting out and about playing in front of our fans all around the country in away games?

Without even checking fixtures I'm 100% confident that this doesn't happen in any year for any Victorian club, so let's not get too carried away here.

Without even checking fixtures I'm 100% confident that this doesn't happen in any year for any Victorian club, so let's not get too carried away here.

Just checked …

… I was off by a game. North and Hawks both played 9 interstate games in 2022.

The thing that hit me about this extra round was the ease with which the AFL scoured the SA government's $50 M fund for promoting sport. The rapacious nature of the AFL, which will denude any and every sport of funding to promote its own bottom line will, in the end, lead to governments abandoning it, and perhaps legislating away its precious gambling dollars.

Just checked …

Probably only 4 of those games were genuine interstate games and the rest were home games they sold…

I think you could argue that Hawthorn have a greater home ground advantage when they play Sydney in Tasmania compared to when Collingwood play Richmond at the MCG or St Kilda at Marvel.

If those 2 teams don’t want to play interstate games 9 times a year, then how about they try not selling their home games!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol I wonder why that is

Obviously because they sell games to Tassie …

… But the point still stands, it’s a bit churlish of us to feel that there’s some conspiracy by the AFL to make the biggest club in the land, with support all around the country, to travel six times.

Just checked …

Hawks and North both have 4 home games of their choosing to be played in Tassie for money with the home ground advantage still being theirs.

Nice try, but in the end both examples are irrelevant given the facts of their respective arrangements to play home games in Tassie.

Wouldn’t be much different to us getting ‘another home game’ whenever we play Geelong, Essendon or Carlton at the MCG.
One big difference though, those clubs request to play us at the MCG. I don’t imagine we’d be making such a choice.

Being an AFL choice is more akin to the contract/want for a “blockbuster” that sees us annually host a Docklands tenant on their ground.

That was done before any mention of this came about? Surely an extra round (game) being tacked onto the season as part of new deal would have been front and centre in the reporting.
That is assuming there were actual reporters and not propagandists for the AFL.
Alternatively, it may well have been an agreement that was kept 'silent' so that the AFL could announce it in their own time and own way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone explained "magic round" yet or is just a "slogan" that sounds gnatty?

What is "magic" about it?
Do the umpires interpret the vagaries of the rules correctly that round or is there no online betting adverts every 30 seconds?

Last edited:
Not sure how legit this is.. We'll see tomorrow..

Seems pretty spot on other than the time zone. Looks like ANZAC day as helped us avoid Adelaide, although with Essendon on Saturday arvo we still could have copped Port Power. Surprisingly we avoided them too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back