AFL Match Day stats page is just awful.

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole AFL site has become worse over the years. I wouldn't consider using it for stats or news at this point.

Footywire and AFL Tables are far better.

The last few years match centre has been pretty good yet this year it's somehow gone backwards and removed a lot of data and functionality.
If you want to find the full match score which is the very basic information about the game you have to go to the match report and scroll to the bottom.

Now the season's been postponed the AFL has months to work on this to make it even worse

Even if they have outsourced this to India, there must be someone at HQ that has to sign off on the final product.

Whoever that person is, should be sacked, effective immediately.

Yeah I had to laugh when I tried to order the stats on the match centre and it hasn't even been implemented. It's like they got some intern to do it and he just gave up.

You look at the stats page which by default has like 5 players thumbnails before you set it to a proper list and ... oh wait, that just gives you two more players and there's plenty of space beneath just not getting used. Also what the hell is RP? This is the sort of design that claims to target mobile users but in reality the UX just ends up being awful for everyone, it's no different for a lot of sports, looking at advanced stats on my phone is godawful for basketball.

Yeah I had to laugh when I tried to order the stats on the match centre and it hasn't even been implemented. It's like they got some intern to do it and he just gave up.

You look at the stats page which by default has like 5 players thumbnails before you set it to a proper list and ... oh wait, that just gives you two more players and there's plenty of space beneath just not getting used. Also what the hell is RP? This is the sort of design that claims to target mobile users but in reality the UX just ends up being awful for everyone, it's no different for a lot of sports, looking at advanced stats on my phone is godawful for basketball.
Yep. Have never seen a page/site with so much white wasted space in my life. Don't bury us in clutter, but the space is there to be used, not squandered.

Yep. Have never seen a page/site with so much white wasted space in my life. Don't bury us in clutter, but the space is there to be used, not squandered.
I'm not experienced in web design, but my understanding is that when loading a website on either a mobile device or PC, the website will be able to detect whether it's the former or the latter, and therefore load the page for that specific device.

It looks like to me that the PC website is designed 100% for mobile devices (even though mobile devices have a perfectly good app). Couldn't they develop something actually workable for people accessing on PC?

It looks like to me that the PC website is designed 100% for mobile devices (even though mobile devices have a perfectly good app). Couldn't they develop something actually workable for people accessing on PC?
That is pretty common already. All kinds of list are often so annoying to get through. My favourite music clubs page know shows 3-4 gigs on 1 screen. Used to be nearly a month...

Those old pages where you had to manually choose your screen resolution feel comfortable now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely this is an early April fools to lift our spirits in these trouble times?

Can't filter by anything. Static view is to list players by surname, not something semi-interesting like disposal count. Both teams on the same page.

A high schooler given 10 minutes in Excel could do better.

Can't help but laugh at the people who constantly say they can't navigate the AFL site, it's really not that hard.

Can't help but laugh at the people who constantly say they can't navigate the AFL site, it's really not that hard.
It's not the can/can't navigate the AFL site. It's just that it's such a bad site. Have to scroll/page down through pages of near emptiness to get the section you want. And when you go where you want, it's just rubbish when you get there. Currently it is 10 page downs to reach the bottom, and that's on a 1920x1280 screen. And easily half the pages are just wasted space.

And (as per the thread title), if it's the stats page you are using, it is just horrible and a major downgrade from the previous versions. Basically unusable. Not because it's difficult to navigate, but because it's just dog vomit awful.

I've been using this site since the first round of the Marsh series when I saw how shitful the AFL offering was:

There you go.
Everything that the AFL stats page should do but doesn't.
It's actually usable, sortable and has every player/both teams visible at once.
And all that takes up less than 1/2 the screen real estate.

Dear AFl...
it's not that 'effin difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back