AFL Members membership check

Remove this Banner Ad

Bobby Giovanni

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2004
Bomber’s place
AFL Club
Geelong
Just out of interest, who here has actually been checked whilst entering the AFL members section, and what exactly did it entail?

I have been a full AFL member for 7-8 years, and before that, a Silver member for 4 years, and have not once been checked or even approached to have the card or ID sighted, and that includes all finals series for the past 3 years and probably 20-25 H&A per season.

I'm just wondering because I have seen young kids at the last 2 finals, and there is no way that they could possibly be full members by 5yo, and I would assume they would be the easiest targets for the ground staff.

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I've never been checked in 16 years.

If you want to lend your card to somene else, just don't sign it. Let THEM sign your name in their handwriting. And tell them to not carry any I.D on them. if the ground staff ask for a drivers license, just get your mate to tell the ground staff that he doesn't drive, and doesn't have I.D on him. Make sure he doesn't have a wallet.

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I got checked for concession the other week, and I didn't have concession card with me. They nearly made me leave the ground until I pulled out my uni card.

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies

If you want to lend your card to somene else, just don't sign it. Let THEM sign your name in their handwriting. And tell them to not carry any I.D on them. if the ground staff ask for a drivers license, just get your mate to tell the ground staff that he doesn't drive, and doesn't have I.D on him. Make sure he doesn't have a wallet.

Or a head.

Or arms.

....or have any legs.

SpInNeR

All Australian
Sep 18, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool, Avalanche
Some guy upon entering the gate, even before the section where you actually purchase tickets asked me for my members card.....and I then explained I have mine, but my friend has a guest pass.

It was a pretty cheap and nasty operation, he was standing in the middle of the gate, and only targeted me because I was youngish looking (24).... He was fairly young, and I think he would be a little too intimidated to ask a 40yo adult.

This was for the semi between Collingwood and Adelaide.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
Just out of interest, who here has actually been checked whilst entering the AFL members section, and what exactly did it entail?

At the Bulldogs final I had my AFL Membership card looked at,but all it seemed to be was checking if it was signed.There was a couple of games about 2 years at the MCG where they did signature checks.They had a clipboard and got you to produce your card and they got you to sign a bit of paper on the clipboard.I guess you could easily beat that by rocking up with your writing hand in a bandage and say you can't do it.Get in the ground and bye bye bandage ;)

oldtimer

All Australian
Jan 26, 2006
kew
They have been checking at every final. They have had 3 - 4 young guys in ties checking barcodes and memberships. It has been outside the main gate, however, no one has been outside the glass doors on either side.
They generally check an hour before the game when it is not as busy

Jun 27, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
They have been checking at every final. They have had 3 - 4 young guys in ties checking barcodes and memberships. It has been outside the main gate, however, no one has been outside the glass doors on either side.
They generally check an hour before the game when it is not as busy

shh i dont want them to staff those entry points. ;)

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Seriously they will not be doing photo id checks on GF Day.
Once you pass through the gates it is an absolute s**t fight, people everywhere.
I have been fortunate enough to go to 10 of the last 15 GF's and i have never been checked, nor in the H&A away season.

Jun 27, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Seriously they will not be doing photo id checks on GF Day.
Once you pass through the gates it is an absolute s**t fight, people everywhere.
I have been fortunate enough to go to 10 of the last 15 GF's and i have never been checked, nor in the H&A away season.

They usually check on the outside. Even then they are easy to get past thanks AFL :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wes Mantooth

Draftee
Apr 24, 2009
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Essendon
I have been a full member since 1990 and been to over a dozen Grand finals and around 5 finals this year...there has clearly been a crack down this year.

I am 23 and clearly in the target market for people whom they would check for transferred tickets. I was checked at the Wbd v Bris game about 2 hours before the game as I was checking the walk-up bays available before heading to The Corner for a few ales, my card wasn't signed but he hardly looked at it.

I have seen them checking people at at least 3 other games and definitely catching some people out who were fumbling around for excuses.

Basically they will check until about 20min before the game when the numbers swell and the last thing they want to be doing is holding up people outside the black gates. It is easy to get past them when they are checking other people as their is only 2-3 blokes. I imagine their will be a bigger presence at the big show this weekend. If people want to risk giving their IMO very valuable AFL Membership to other that's up to them but make sure that person understands what you are risking and they do everything in their power to avoid being checked

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
I actually worked as a checker for the 2004 Grand Final. The people doing it are just casual people that are recruited for the day, and the reason i did it was for the free grand final entry at the end of it. i was stationed there from gates open until about 15 minutes before the bounce.

All i was instructed to do was to check the card, have the person right down there address and d.o.b and sign. It wasnt my job to verify this... All i did was take the details and then the AFL would check over it afterwards looking for discrepancies... I could add notes, so the people who actually admitted to using someones else's ticket got a little asterix and comment next to there entry.

:thumbsu:

hawksrule111

Senior List
Jul 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Damn, i'm lending my dad's to my gf as she is a huge saints fan. I have only ever been checked once in all my yrs going through and that was a few yrs ago and all he wanted to see was my concession card not to verify my AFL membership. I have a full proof way around it though so she won't need to go through the gates and swip a ticket

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is a good point to remember how many people there are in the AFL members who dont even have an AFL membership.

Medallion club, corporates, AFL guests, etc, etc.

I'd be surprised if they give a $%#& to be honest. Their number one priority is to maximise crowds. They probably only check at all so disgruntled members think they are doing something.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is a good point to remember how many people there are in the AFL members who dont even have an AFL membership.

I'd be surprised if they give a $%#& to be honest. Their number one priority is to maximise crowds. They probably only check at all so disgruntled members think they are doing something.

I personally don't see why they give a s**t at all. The ticket has been paid for, they have their cash. As an AFL Member I would rather give my ticket to a person who actually supports the teams. Its nearly impossible for a supporter of Geelong or St Kilda to get tickets, so as an AFL Member if I can help get them to the game, I feel I have done a good thing.

They should be trying to catch AFL Memebers who are scalping their tickets and trying to make a buck, rather than the ones who are trying to help a supporter get to see their team on GF day.

catburr

Debutant
Sep 17, 2007
gold coast
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi just go in when it's really busy and they don't have a chance to grab you, my brother acted as our decoy and fumbled around so that we could rush through. GO CATS

Have seen the checkers in 07 and 08 but never been checked. Just waited with the smokers til someone else got pulled up, and walked past.

No chance this will work this year. They don't care about the signature on your card. They match it to the form you signed when you got your afl membership. They are checking photo ID this finals series too, so unless you have fake ID you are in trouble...

At the Bulldogs final I had my AFL Membership card looked at,but all it seemed to be was checking if it was signed.There was a couple of games about 2 years at the MCG where they did signature checks.They had a clipboard and got you to produce your card and they got you to sign a bit of paper on the clipboard.I guess you could easily beat that by rocking up with your writing hand in a bandage and say you can't do it.Get in the ground and bye bye bandage ;)
Looking at your card as you go in is not a real check.

I have been a full member since 1990 and been to over a dozen Grand finals and around 5 finals this year...there has clearly been a crack down this year.

I am 23 and clearly in the target market for people whom they would check for transferred tickets. I was checked at the Wbd v Bris game about 2 hours before the game as I was checking the walk-up bays available before heading to The Corner for a few ales, my card wasn't signed but he hardly looked at it.

I have seen them checking people at at least 3 other games and definitely catching some people out who were fumbling around for excuses.

Basically they will check until about 20min before the game when the numbers swell and the last thing they want to be doing is holding up people outside the black gates. It is easy to get past them when they are checking other people as their is only 2-3 blokes. I imagine their will be a bigger presence at the big show this weekend. If people want to risk giving their IMO very valuable AFL Membership to other that's up to them but make sure that person understands what you are risking and they do everything in their power to avoid being checked
I think there will be some happy silver members next year as some people are definitely losing their membership this finals series.

I actually worked as a checker for the 2004 Grand Final. The people doing it are just casual people that are recruited for the day, and the reason i did it was for the free grand final entry at the end of it. i was stationed there from gates open until about 15 minutes before the bounce.

All i was instructed to do was to check the card, have the person right down there address and d.o.b and sign. It wasnt my job to verify this... All i did was take the details and then the AFL would check over it afterwards looking for discrepancies... I could add notes, so the people who actually admitted to using someones else's ticket got a little asterix and comment next to there entry.

:thumbsu:
Those people lost their membership if the signatures didn't match.

Your ticketek ticket clearly states if you are an AFL member. There will be checks on the day. There have been all finals series. Lend your membership at your own risk.
There is no way I would lend mine to some saints or cats fan, i'll 100% need it next september!

Expect that any tip people have shared on this forum to NOT work on GF day. If I worked in the AFL membership department, I'd be reading this...

darrenmorgan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
is that you adrian anderson?

the afl members is one of the only ways real supporters can get access to the grand final. someone with an afl membership is decent enough to pass on a ticket to a friend who actually supports one of the teams. if it wasnt for that, it'd be nigh on impossible to get a ticket, and the atmosphere would be completley shite. god bless the afl members who access and pass on tickets for the to supporters.

Borgsta

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Melb.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Orlando
No chance this will work this year. They don't care about the signature on your card. They match it to the form you signed when you got your afl membership. They are checking photo ID this finals series too, so unless you have fake ID you are in trouble...

The signature when I signed up would look horrible considering it was sent using a dodgy old fax. They barely got any information right from it except for my credit card details.

Jastone

Draftee
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was planning on just going through when it's busy and heading into the ground. Do i need to even bring the card? If they do ask for it, i won't have ID to back it up obviously and i can't do their signature.

blackjack44

Debutant
Nov 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Found this on the AFL Members site -

'' IMPORTANT TOYOTA AFL

GRAND FINAL INFORMATION

AFL Members attending the Grand Final will be issued with