AFL Membership Vs Collingwood Club Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

If ppl go to a lot of matches (non Pies as well) I get the AFL membership.

If you are doing as some have suggested & buying both, I get the AFL membership, seems smart & still supporting the club.

If you are cash strapped I get (almost) buying the AFL membership.

But if you are like me who only attend Pies games, some years getting only to see 5 or so matches (i've done my 25yr tour of duty week in week out), I still like to support the club. More money goes into our coffers this way.
Also for me there is the family connection as my father was a member for over 30 yrs & I managed to get his medallion number when he passed.

It makes me feel uneasy (?) when I hear other ppl going for value over club.
I understand, it's just not me.

My point really is, for the people that do buy AFL memberships do you fork out some cash in other ways to the club?

For example, a friend buys his AFL membership with club support coz it suits him. He goes to a lot of non Pies games BUT he only buys merchandise direct from CFC. That's his way of contributing.

Do others do something similar?

Where exactly IS the AFL members seats? And why is everyone talking about standing room... don't tell me the silver membership only gets you a standing room ticket, haha.

I actually prefer to watch the game from the top level, where you can see everything playing out. On the ground level I can't work out what's happening on the other side of the oval.

Say I decide to get a Social Club (since I can't get Legend's) membership with a Silver AFL membership... how much is this likely to set me back?

I'm not exactly made of money...

Where exactly IS the AFL members seats? And why is everyone talking about standing room... don't tell me the silver membership only gets you a standing room ticket, haha.

The AFL members are during the season runs from the wing of the southern stand (about M17) through to the end of the Southern Stand near the Ponsford (m27 or so).

It extends a little more for the GF's, and no, Silver members do not only get access to standing room, they have the same access to seats (and standing room) that we as full members do for every game (on all 4 levels).

It makes me feel uneasy (?) when I hear other ppl going for value over club.
I understand, it's just not me.

OA, although I understand where you're coming from, surely there are better causes than a club that's effectively rolling in cash. Obviously if people want to contribute more that's their prerogative, but painting it as an obligation seems a bit much given the current state of our club.

Fair enough as i said, it's a personal thing. Don't begrudge anyone for looking for value.

As to the rolling in cash comment I disagree.

It's like the pubs fiasco. People here said, doesn't matter we're rich, non for profit organisation...........

Cash is important, the country has a future fund, the AFL has a future fund, maybe we should to.

Also how would $10M go right now (pub losses) to say set up a permanent academy in say Ireland or Fiji or Sth Africa?

Cash is important.

I'm a Collingwood member. I don't like the AFL membership, it is a legacy of VFL Park and a compromise. It's not a club membership no matter how you dice it.

Between AFL, MCC and Etihad members, the club members get a raw deal on GF day.

IMO, club members should get priority over all the others, especially the corporates.

If collingwood create a membership where I can access to all games at the MCG and etihad, cheap finals tickets, guaranteed grand final tickets and access to cricket matches at the MCG for the same value as my afl membership I'll buy until then I'm happy paying half the price as the rest of you.

I buy my social club membership for the medallion and so that I can get my dads social club member when he dies. I get nothing else out of it. Hell we only get one magazine per household and have to pay a fee for the second.

I love my footy club. Anyone who has seen my posts and more so on twitter knows that my blood bleeds black and white. Don't tell me that I am less deserving of a grand final ticket because not all my money goes to the club. Don't try and make me feel guilty because I don't in the slightest.

Some of my money goes to the club, some of it goes to the league. You know the southern stand? We paid for it.

If collingwood create a membership where I can access to all games at the MCG and etihad, cheap finals tickets, guaranteed grand final tickets and access to cricket matches at the MCG for the same value as my afl membership I'll buy until then I'm happy paying half the price as the rest of you.

I buy my social club membership for the medallion and so that I can get my dads social club member when he dies. I get nothing else out of it. Hell we only get one magazine per household and have to pay a fee for the second.

I love my footy club. Anyone who has seen my posts and more so on twitter knows that my blood bleeds black and white. Don't tell me that I am less deserving of a grand final ticket because not all my money goes to the club. Don't try and make me feel guilty because I don't in the slightest.

Some of my money goes to the club, some of it goes to the league. You know the southern stand? We paid for it.
Ditto for me.

Exactly.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Thanks for the help!

So let me get this straight,

I, as a new member, can expect to pay $600 for my membership. If mates want to come along to games with me, and if I pay my $6.50 for a reserved seat, they only need to pay $35 and can also sit in the reserved section beside me? How many can I bring with me at a time?

Depends on the game; if it's a high demand game, then it's quite possible you can't buy a guest pass. Otherwise it's normally limited to 4.

Also, the waiting list to become a full member is now longer then 10 years I believe - from what I can gather, about 1,000 silver member get upgraded each year, and the number of silver members in line is nearing 20k - you do the math.

I'm a Silver member, 2012 will be my third season. I definitely feel it's great value - the access to all Melbourne finals (except prelim + grand final since I'm silver) is worth the price of admission alone.

I partner my AFL Membership with Magpies Social Club membership - that way I'm a priority 2 member for the grand final ticket ballot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a Silver member, 2012 will be my third season. I definitely feel it's great value - the access to all Melbourne finals (except prelim + grand final since I'm silver) is worth the price of admission alone. quote]

Slightly incorrect. Silver members can still get access to Prelim tickets, IF:

The team we(Collingwood) play is not that well supported(AFL membership wise) OR
The tickets for the prelim don't sell as well as expected.

The catch with this is that you pay the guest pass price of $120(Full members paid $17.50 last season v Hawthorn). Cheaper than a premium ticket in GA.

GF is also not strictly off limits to AFL silver members, there are just none available when we play due to the fact that there are over 6400 full AFL members with Collingwood club support(over 12,000 total) & only 13,000 -23,000 GF tickets are made available to ALL full AFL members.

Also of note is that AFL Full membership is capped at 30,000. Last season only 998 silver members were upgraded. The total AFL membership for the 2011 season was 56,553.

Slightly incorrect. Silver members can still get access to Prelim tickets, IF:

The team we(Collingwood) play is not that well supported(AFL membership wise) OR
The tickets for the prelim don't sell as well as expected.

The catch with this is that you pay the guest pass price of $120(Full members paid $17.50 last season v Hawthorn). Cheaper than a premium ticket in GA.

Yes, I should have clarified that - no cheap entry for the prelim for silver members.

GF is also not strictly off limits to AFL silver members, there are just none available when we play due to the fact that there are over 6400 full AFL members with Collingwood club support(over 12,000 total) & only 13,000 -23,000 GF tickets are made available to ALL full AFL members.

Yep, didn't mention that cause I doubt it will ever eventuate where silver members will get a chance for tickets in the grand final.

If happy to wait, should put yourself on MCC waiting list.....Easily the best membership going.

Much better facilities than those in the Southern Stand, can use the dining room, access to special events like comedian's, wine nights etc and now with the Pies playing 14 games + at the G it is perfect.

However, I went to every final at the G this year...if only interested in watching Collingwood, may as well get just a Collingwood membership, and if we make the GF just pay overs for the ticket....end up basically in same position in the long run.

MCC is approaching 20 years just for restricted access; sign up for AFL Membership now, get on the MCC waiting list, see where things take you :thumbsu:

I was thinking of getting AFL Membership but what are the bars like for AFL members? any different to the standard bars in general admin?
I love a good watering hole :)

I was thinking of getting AFL Membership but what are the bars like for AFL members? any different to the standard bars in general admin?
I love a good watering hole :)
At the moment they aren't great, but with the redevelopment of the bars and food areas within the Southern Stand it's supposed to make it as good as anywhere in the ground (apart from the long room of course).

They are building several special bars just for the AFL members area apparently.

Well, I got back from a Gold Coast vacation and instantly got my regular membership (just season ticket), so it looks like I'll be scraping by this month... but it had to be done.

Next question though... why does it say THIS in the invoice under 'seat'?:

GA8
Season Ticket and<br>Social Club Membership 10

What's with that? I just got a season ticket (renewed my last one), I didn't get a social club membership... Does it just say that for all memberships?

Any ideas?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back