Discussion AFL Merchandise Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the recent discussions around the various types of AFL merchandise and advancements being made in the area (along with the suggestion of a specific thread for merch), I thought it would be a good idea to start up a thread for discussions and design ideas.

Some areas for discussion include:

- Bespoke club apparel (featuring club sponsors etc.),
- Licensing Essentails/PlayCorp apparel and merchandise,
- New Era caps, and
- Advancements in streetwear designs

These are all great areas to discuss, as well as sharing your own ideas for merchandise in these areas

Last edited:

I'll kick off a bit of a discussion then. Following on from the discussion about streetwear merchandise, what's everyones opinion on the path Cotton On (and New Era) are taking with Geelong's merchandise? With the extended use of the tertiary logo, our merchandise is transitioning from the common football apparel to designs that are minimal in their representation of the Cats

A6456403-082B-AA0A-0DA70E7068D219BD11893231_F__11528.1568854493.jpg
9354686389142_5__27762.1574127588.jpg
9801074_GFC_CATS_POLAR_POLAR_FLEECE_-_MENS_2__61388.1582086432.jpg

Other apparel that still features the club's corporate and Ford logo are taking on different design styles as well, compared to the standard sports style jacket that most teams produce, Cotton On are creating designs that can be worn as streetwear, rather than strictly as club apparel

GFC21c_1725__45196.1590383207.jpg

Last edited:
I'll kick off a bit of a discussion then. Following on from the discussion about streetwear merchandise, what's everyones opinion on the path Cotton On (and New Era) are taking with Geelong's merchandise? With the extended use of the tertiary logo, our merchandise is transitioning from the common football apparel to designs that are minimal in their representation of the Cats

A6456403-082B-AA0A-0DA70E7068D219BD11893231_F__11528.1568854493.jpg
9354686389142_5__27762.1574127588.jpg
9801074_GFC_CATS_POLAR_POLAR_FLEECE_-_MENS_2__61388.1582086432.jpg

Other apparel that still features the club's corporate and Ford logo are taking on different design styles as well, compared to the standard sports style jacket that most teams produce, Cotton On are creating designs that can be worn as streetwear, rather than strictly as club apparel

GFC21c_1725__45196.1590383207.jpg
Cotton on is an interesting one. That G stuff feels more like stuff you'd see on the golf course rather than streetwear, but they do have a more dedicated range of streetwear for all 18 clubs on their website https://cottonon.com/AU/men/men-afl/ & https://cottonon.com/AU/women/women-afl/ some of it is a bit garish still with distressed prints and s**t, but there's some hooped tee's that feel pretty surfy and some knitted sweaters too that just feature the club name on the front in a navy on navy, black on black type scenario.

It all seems to be cookie cutter besides some women's hoodies with bespoke graphics (shame they aren't in mens) and some teams have some products and not others (not sure if this is a case of them selling out, or just thinking that Melbourne are one of the only clubs' fans who would want one of those corduroy jackets).

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 10.36.23 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 10.37.00 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 10.37.35 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 10.38.12 pm.png

Big issue is though, where is this s**t advertised? Not available on club websites or the AFL shop, haven't seen any of these in a Cotton On store, so it just sits there buried in their website. This seems to be heading in the right direction though, great that the AFL have given the licence to a company that (regardless of whether you think they are stylish or not) actually would have decent fashion designers at their disposal and are able to identify trends rather than just plastering club and sponsor logos on whatever garment they can get their hands on.

Last edited:
Cotton on is an interesting one. That G stuff feels more like stuff you'd see on the golf course rather than streetwear, but they do have a more dedicated range of streetwear for all 18 clubs on their website https://cottonon.com/AU/men/men-afl/ & https://cottonon.com/AU/women/women-afl/ some of it is a bit garish still with distressed prints and sh*t, but there's some hooped tee's that feel pretty surfy and some knitted sweaters too that just feature the club name on the front in a navy on navy, black on black type scenario.

It all seems to be cookie cutter besides some women's hoodies with bespoke graphics (shame they aren't in mens) and some teams have some products and not others (not sure if this is a case of them selling out, or just thinking that Melbourne are one of the only clubs' fans who would want one of those corduroy jackets).

View attachment 897056View attachment 897057
View attachment 897058View attachment 897059

Big issue is though, where is this sh*t advertised? Not available on club websites or the AFL shop, haven't seen any of these in a Cotton On store, so it just sits there buried in their website. This seems to be heading in the right direction though, great that the AFL have given the licence to a company that (regardless of whether you think they are stylish or not) actually would have decent fashion designers at their disposal and are able to identify trends rather than just plastering club and sponsor logos on whatever garment they can get their hands on.

I’ve been crying out for this stuff for so long. So sick of clothes with sponsors on them. Give me fashion!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Port stuff in that Cotton On range doesn't do anything for me, I guess because it's all templates, but I have seen some of the Crows AFLW stuff I've seen in Cotton On stores, which obviously doesn't come in Port colours yet.

I posted this in the podcast thread but it's probably more relevant here:

The Chicago White Sox have released a streetwear label, 35th & Shields, named after the streets their ballpark is on. Have a look through a few of the designs, which absolutely nail that sort of understated streetwear style we were talking about.

Had a bit of a think about what a crows 'if you know you know' could look like last night. As discussed on the recent podcast, it really does help to have a black or something in your colour scheme, and not something garish like the three primary colours. Looking through different symbols throughout the crows history, I think found a great direction. A denim jacket with the Original Toyota 'Camry crows' sponsor patch on it!

crowsjacket.png

Excuse the rushed 'shop just found a pic online and tried to edit the patch, but would think that this logo lockup (would have the red Toyota logo on there too, just obscured in this image) is quite recognisable to footy fans (particularly Adelaide fans) and could be a fantastic time to release it with the 30 year anniversary of the partnership quickly approaching. Also has a bit of a mechanic/auto worker sort of feel to it which harks back to Adelaide's automotive history.

Quite like the look of the logo on the front here just like it did on the jumper, but reckon it could also look awesome as a massive patch running across the back of the jacket. A small little tricolour tag somewhere in a similar style to Levi's red tag could look quite smart too. Would quite happily pay a couple of hundred for a top quality denim in this style. Would love to do something like this myself, but I am bloody useless with sewing s**t and don't think i could bring myself to damage a 90's crows guernsey by removing logos from it!

Geelong could do a similar sort of thing with Ford too (although the ford logo isn't unique to the Cats like this Camry one is to the crows, so may need a bit more club branding on there so it isn't just a bogan-looking V8's jacket).

Had a bit of a think about what a crows 'if you know you know' could look like last night. As discussed on the recent podcast, it really does help to have a black or something in your colour scheme, and not something garish like the three primary colours. Looking through different symbols throughout the crows history, I think found a great direction. A denim jacket with the Original Toyota 'Camry crows' sponsor patch on it!

Excuse the rushed 'shop just found a pic online and tried to edit the patch, but would think that this logo lockup (would have the red Toyota logo on there too, just obscured in this image) is quite recognisable to footy fans (particularly Adelaide fans) and could be a fantastic time to release it with the 30 year anniversary of the partnership quickly approaching. Also has a bit of a mechanic/auto worker sort of feel to it which harks back to Adelaide's automotive history.

Quite like the look of the logo on the front here just like it did on the jumper, but reckon it could also look awesome as a massive patch running across the back of the jacket. A small little tricolour tag somewhere in a similar style to Levi's red tag could look quite smart too. Would quite happily pay a couple of hundred for a top quality denim in this style. Would love to do something like this myself, but I am bloody useless with sewing sh*t and don't think i could bring myself to damage a 90's crows guernsey by removing logos from it!

Geelong could do a similar sort of thing with Ford too (although the ford logo isn't unique to the Cats like this Camry one is to the crows, so may need a bit more club branding on there so it isn't just a bogan-looking V8's jacket).
Maybe not on denim, but you could also try a section of the original logo (even just the top 3 streaks);
1593076760758.png
Perhaps all blue on white?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite like the look of the logo on the front here just like it did on the jumper, but reckon it could also look awesome as a massive patch running across the back of the jacket. A small little tricolour tag somewhere in a similar style to Levi's red tag could look quite smart too. Would quite happily pay a couple of hundred for a top quality denim in this style. Would love to do something like this myself, but I am bloody useless with sewing sh*t and don't think i could bring myself to damage a 90's crows guernsey by removing logos from it!

Adelaide would do well to introduce some alternate logos that aren't faux heritage.

Probably as part of a new logo package that includes a new primary logo.

I agree your colours make this sort of thing difficult, but certainly not impossible given the brief. You surely must have generated a few in-joke style nicknames for the club etc over the years. Adelaide, IMO, was as it's "coolest" in the early 90s with the "Here we go Camry Crows" song etc. I think doing Camry branded stuff is a great idea, you're probably the only club who can go down that route in a cool and meaningful way.

Adelaide would do well to introduce some alternate logos that aren't faux heritage.

I agree your colours make this sort of thing difficult, but certainly not impossible given the brief. You surely must have generated a few in-joke style nicknames for the club etc over the years. Adelaide, IMO, was as it's "coolest" in the early 90s with the "Here we go Camry Crows" song etc. I think doing Camry branded stuff is a great idea, you're probably the only club who can go down that route in a cool and meaningful way.

nek minut West Coast release SGIO GO EAGLES GO retro gear in navy and ochre

I like the long sleeve media polo shirts Chris Scott and Ken Hinkley wear and wish they were sold to the general public. I assume they probably aren't because the demand would not be there

Some 'Apricot Slice Brigade' gear would be cool, but i doubt the club would want to annoy the more senior customers members that term is used to make fun of.

Over the last couple of days some new merino wool scarves have been released by the Cats and Eagles. Geelong is celebrating Joel Selwood's 300th match and Gary Ablett's 350th, while the Eagles Indigenous jumper design has been adapted for a scarf. Also, towards the end of last season the Swans created a merino scarf for Buddy's 300th match

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 6.40.36 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 6.40.19 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 6.40.58 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 6.47.36 pm.png

While the merino wool range of AFL merchandise has been available for a number of years now, is the creation of bespoke merino wool scarfs a sign that there is now an increased demand for higher-end merchandise, such as merino wool scarfs?

Over the last couple of days some new merino wool scarves have been released by the Cats and Eagles. Geelong is celebrating Joel Selwood's 300th match and Gary Ablett's 350th, while the Eagles Indigenous jumper design has been adapted for a scarf. Also, towards the end of last season the Swans created a merino scarf for Buddy's 300th match

View attachment 903372View attachment 903371View attachment 903374View attachment 903380

While the merino wool range of AFL merchandise has been available for a number of years now, is the creation of bespoke merino wool scarfs a sign that there is now an increased demand for higher-end merchandise, such as merino wool scarfs?
Would love to see more scarf designs! Really like how in European soccer you see that everyone in the stands has a different scarf pretty much. Here its pretty much Everyone has one of like 5 designs with the overwhelming majority being the current season's members scarf, the bar scarf or the 2 dollar shop variant.

Would love to see more scarf designs! Really like how in European soccer you see that everyone in the stands has a different scarf pretty much. Here its pretty much Everyone has one of like 5 designs with the overwhelming majority being the current season's members scarf, the bar scarf or the 2 dollar shop variant.

I'm keen for this too, as a scarf-wearer at the footy I usually go for the current members scarf, but I'd love to have a few different designs to rotate. Currently Sekem make a few different styles of scarf, but these tend to be around for a number of years and are replicated across all the teams. Some bespoke designs for each team (such as how Port Adelaide have a few 'Never Tear Us Apart' designs available) would be really cool.

$65 for a scarf is pricey, I know for a scarf that I wear to the matches and I'm bound to spill tomato sauce or potato chips on it is expensive (although the quality of the production and the merino wool used certainly justifies the price) and they're ideal for those who are looking for a quality piece of club merchandise. For me personally, the Cotton On members scarf serves my needs pretty well, and the Victoria-All Stars Sekem scarf I have (which is the same style as most of the club scarfs) are of a pretty good quality too.

I know for a scarf that I wear to the matches and I'm bound to spill tomato sauce or potato chips on it is expensive
I call this 'wearing it in'

what's everyones opinion on the path Cotton On (and New Era) are taking with Geelong's merchandise?

Since you asked, I really don't like the Cotton On stuff. For one, all of it is navy and white. They're not the most garish colours, but I want understated gear that is not directly in club colours. There's something about the finish of all that gear that I just don't like as well. I can imagine it appealing to a certain type of fan (someone who goes boating and does yoga?) but not the majority.

New Era, on the other hand, is doing good things.

The black-on-black range is a good idea but may push things too far if the logo is virtually invisible:

new-era-geel-blk-200.png

This is a great example of an understated look:

potr-new-era-200.png

Lastly, important to mention their 100 year range. Interesting series. Port's is perfection. This is the only one in the range that's sold out.

port-100-200.png

I want to buy and wear this even though I'm not a Port fan!

Last edited:
2020 Ugly Sweaters have launched however for some reason there isn't every team :(

Brisbane, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, North Melbourne, and the Western Bulldogs all not included

Example of Collingwood's
1596185279660.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back