Opinion AFL Moving Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes The Age, the paper Sam Mclure happens to write for, I’m sure they just happened to get their hands on the minutes from that meeting...

Sam is a douche.

To be honest I don't think Adelaide was trying to get a leg up, that just made a mistake, and it could have been any team.

Fact is, it has had an impact though.

Sam is a douche.

To be honest I don't think Adelaide was trying to get a leg up, that just made a mistake, and it could have been any team.

Fact is, it has had an impact though.
Less of an impact than the recent outbreaks in Victoria would have had. Which is why WA have the same border closures as well.

The players aren’t going to be out and about mingling with the public. They will fly in on a private plane, go straight to a hotel (or just fly back same day) and then to the ground. There would have to be strong restrictions on what players in all states can do though so it is fair across the board.

The players ARE going to be out mingling with the public, the Vic based sides will be mingling in the Covid 19 invested cesspool that is Melbourne prior to jumping on a "private" plane - whoopy doo.

The SA players will be mingling with the nice, healthy, clean public that is Adelaide.

Once the Victorian team is here they will spend two hours getting hot and sweaty with our players = ample opportunity to pass on any diseases from Victoria.

I know you want to fully support the VFL but FIFO on a private plane is an absolutely meaningless procedure unless the Victorian sides live in a locked down facility without their families, I haven't heard they will be doing that so good on SA Health.

The players ARE going to be out mingling with the public, the Vic based sides will be mingling in the Covid 19 invested cesspool that is Melbourne prior to jumping on a "private" plane - whoopy doo.

The SA players will be mingling with the nice, healthy, clean public that is Adelaide.

Once the Victorian team is here they will spend two hours getting hot and sweaty with our players = ample opportunity to pass on any diseases from Victoria.

I know you want to fully support the VFL but FIFO on a private plane is an absolutely meaningless procedure unless the Victorian sides live in a locked down facility without their families, I haven't heard they will be doing that so good on SA Health.
What makes you think any player will be out mingling with the public once the season starts? I can imagine any protocol the AFL put in place to resume play would involve very strict measures around the players staying in their hotel and only traveling to either the stadium or airport. I would think the players are fully aware by now about how strict they will need to be to keep the season going, especially in Vic.

All players are getting tested this week too, I would be very surprised if they aren’t told they will need to avoid any public places after that until Vic gets on top of community transmission (I’m talking about Vic players specifically here).

In any case, I don’t mind if our state plays it safe for a further couple of weeks until July and they open our borders after that, I can understand the reasoning even if I don’t fully agree with it.

Would of thought we could take advantage of this and base ourselves up in Darwin for the season. We’ve got a great partnership with the NT because of our women’s team and plus we’ve got good support up there. We could possible be able to have crowds, NT is well ahead of anyone and we would be able to make some coin to limit the impending financial issues we will inevitable have.

What makes you think any player will be out mingling with the public once the season starts? I can imagine any protocol the AFL put in place to resume play would involve very strict measures around the players staying in their hotel and only traveling to either the stadium or airport. I would think the players are fully aware by now about how strict they will need to be to keep the season going, especially in Vic.

All players are getting tested this week too, I would be very surprised if they aren’t told they will need to avoid any public places after that until Vic gets on top of community transmission (I’m talking about Vic players specifically here).

In any case, I don’t mind if our state plays it safe for a further couple of weeks until July and they open our borders after that, I can understand the reasoning even if I don’t fully agree with it.

Yep, no player will pop down to the shops or go for a run along the beach, drop in for a Big Mac, grab some meat for a BBQ etc etc

Their partners won't go to work, take the kids to school or go shopping etc etc.

And their kids won't go to school or play with their mates etc etc

Nope, you're right the players will be totally isolated, no risk at all :drunk:

Fully agree with your last bit, very happy we play it safe for a bit longer - the state barriers will hopefully come down in July (touch wood)

The Vic centric thinking annoys the crap out of me, their "even playing field" was a pisstake with all the inequities the non-Vic sides have to put up with.

Would of thought we could take advantage of this and base ourselves up in Darwin for the season. We’ve got a great partnership with the NT because of our women’s team and plus we’ve got good support up there. We could possible be able to have crowds, NT is well ahead of anyone and we would be able to make some coin to limit the impending financial issues we will inevitable have.

Originally West Coast had proposed to be based in Darwin and the AFL said no.

AFL footballer + 1 stupid act = deadly disease outbreak.

Think about that equation.

I didn’t realise you were able to predict that with such certainty. Everyone has been certain a player would get it since the pandemic started, not one has so far decided a few stupid acts along the way. Your equation isn’t so simple.

Yep, no player will pop down to the shops or go for a run along the beach, drop in for a Big Mac, grab some meat for a BBQ etc etc

Their partners won't go to work, take the kids to school or go shopping etc etc.

And their kids won't go to school or play with their mates etc etc

Nope, you're right the players will be totally isolated, no risk at all :drunk:

Fully agree with your last bit, very happy we play it safe for a bit longer - the state barriers will hopefully come down in July (touch wood)

The Vic centric thinking annoys the crap out of me, their "even playing field" was a pisstake with all the inequities the non-Vic sides have to put up with.
Fair enough mate, just think if a player was going to get it that would’ve happened by now, but understand not wanting to risk anything until all the public can travel interstate without quarantine.

We could have a conference of SA, WA, NSW & QLD teams in the Gold Coast... & leave the infectious Victorians to themselves...
Some Vic posters still banging on that breaking an AFL protocol somehow influenced our states decision today... how about, they just want to see a couple of weeks without another Cedar Meats case before letting those players into the state. They also conveniently ignore WA have the same hardline stance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough mate, just think if a player was going to get it that would’ve happened by now, but understand not wanting to risk anything until all the public can travel interstate without quarantine.

True, it would be extremely unlikely an AFL player gets it but imagine the optics if we had an outbreak in Adelaide that was traced back to AFL players getting an exemption from quarantine.

Have Crocmedia gone to war on the SA government and Professor Spurrier over this yet? I'm sure if she's had so much as a parking ticket we'll be hearing all about it.

Caro is like a dog at your heals. Eddie tries to get something going and she keeps blaming everything on the Crows.

Dont the Sun's have ownership of the NT

I’m ok with the decision not to allow fly in/fly out.

I just wish they’d been able to get the grammar right in their letter, so that it doesn’t actually say the opposite of what they intend.

Here’s what it says:

“On public health advice, the committee has resolved that any economic and social benefits to be gained by allowing modification or exemptions to SA quarantine requirements for AFL players and staff were not outweighed by the public health risk.”

...any economic and social benefits...were NOT outweighed by the public health risk...

What they meant to say is the economic and social benefits WERE outweighed by the public health risk

Truth.

As someone who lives in Melbourne and supports a WA team, It isn't lost on me that SA/WA have restrictions in place due to the high incidence of COVID-19 in other states.
And that is the sole reason for the rejection from our state Health authorities. Nothing to do with the Barossa . We have zero community transmission. The same can’t be said for Victoria

If they’re going to be so strict on these border restrictions, they really need to pick up the pace on opening up within the state, and not to pointless numbers of 10 or 20 and restricting to outdoor dining.

Agree with this. Borders should be the very last thing they open up, but I wish they were a bit quicker in opening up business/recreation within the state given our results.

The AFL and everyone involved, from PA to media, have come through this pandemic looking like arrogant idiots.

People have to think about these things logically ......we're having approx 20 cases per day out of 25M people ...that's 0.0000008% infection levels

Pressure is off hospitals .....tracking systems are now in place & finely tuned ....spot fires can now be handled easily

Players fly interstate, play a game, and immediately come home .......infection chances even less than the national average

Let me tell you, if crowds were actually allowed to games ....the decision would have been different by the SA Health dept / Govt .......but there's no political backlash or public pressure on this issue, due to no crowds

I’m ok with the decision not to allow fly in/fly out.

I just wish they’d been able to get the grammar right in their letter, so that it doesn’t actually say the opposite of what they intend.

Here’s what it says:

“On public health advice, the committee has resolved that any economic and social benefits to be gained by allowing modification or exemptions to SA quarantine requirements for AFL players and staff were not outweighed by the public health risk.”

...any economic and social benefits...were NOT outweighed by the public health risk...

What they meant to say is the economic and social benefits WERE outweighed by the public health risk
Yeah, that annoyed me too

Yeah, but what are the odds of a footballer ever doing something stupid?

Who's running things?
A cop, intensely disliked by his own , who didn't have a problem with the public paying for his wife's European holiday . Obviously not the Premier who everyone has in their pocket.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Who's running things?
A cop, intensely disliked by his own , who didn't have a problem with the public paying for his wife's European holiday . Obviously not the Premier who everyone has in their pocket.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
SAPOL are in charge due our state is in state of emergency. When the government declares this, SAPOL commissioner takes control of the state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back