Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
They were announced as Freo's #1 Ticketholders after that.

While some hail from Freo, I'm not entirely convinced they were the lifelong Dockers fans as which was presented to us at the time...

Blackhawk42

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I do enjoy how often channel 7 use Foals in highlight packages. This is only a new song but saw it getting a run last week on Sunday arvo I believe.

GetAroundHim99

The World's Biggest Overreactor!
Apr 29, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Scuderia Ferrari
I've happened to find the song Channel 7 used for the Seven's Big League theme and the song they used as their main theme after getting the rights back from the ABC in 1988 before switching to Fanfare for the Common Man in 1990.

The Theme to Seven's Big League is called Energy II by Craig Palmer

and the theme Channel 7 used from 1988-1989 is called Mega-race by Patrick Wilson

This makes me wonder if we could end finding more production songs that were used by any of the broadcasters sometime. There's certainly a few montage songs from several of the That Was The Season That Was specials I wouldn't mind knowing the names to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Hawthorn have used Power and the Passion by Midnight Oil in the past but Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother seems to be the one used these days, which I reckon works great.

In terms of one offs - Led Zeppelin's Kashmir was used pre game at the 2008 GF

I've heard My Pal by God used at games (including at least one GF) which blew my mind

Along similar lines I remember Radio Birdman's We've Come So Far To Be Here was used as on the pre-match highlights for a semi (2015?) which had my blood pumping

Chicken Parma

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2011
Leongatha
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Jaguars, Renegades
Thought I might give this thread a bump with a few music choices I noted this season:

Adelaide played "Headstrong" by Trapt a couple of time during warmups this year (an interesting choice, given the lead singer's recent antics on Twitter)

This year, after Brisbane's many wins at the Gabba, the club song was followed by Rose Tattoo's "We Can't Be Beaten"

Gold Coast played Panic! At The Disco's cover of "The Greatest Show" before the opening bounce, and "Here Comes The Sun" by The Beatles before the start of the second half.

North Melbourne used "Epic" by Faith No More as a pre-game song, and whenever they won at home this year (which admittedly, wasn't very often), Icehouse's "Electric Blue" was played after "Join In the Chorus".

At a few Port Adelaide games this year (such as the one where they lost to St Kilda) the winning team's song was followed by Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen". Not sure of the meaning behind this one... perhaps one (or more) of their leadership group hates the song, and it was used as punishment for losing a game they were expected to win?

West Coast used the same pregame song as the other team with "coast" in their name.

The Western Bulldogs used "Enter Sandman" as their pregame song in 2019, but in 2020 they switched to a more fitting and less cliched song: "The Dogs Are Talking" by The Angels.

And finally, something I noticed this year was Seven playing background music during goal replays (both to fill in the extended stoppages and make up for the lack of crowd noise earlier in the season)
Here are the songs that they tended to do this with most often:

And my personal favourite (as well as Rohan Connolly's... he lost his sh*t on Twitter when he realised that Seven were using this song)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad