AFL Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt like we need a complete dedicated thread for the tunes of the AFL. Kinda hoping this will be a resource thread for people looking for 'that' song.

AFL
Greg Champion - That's The Thing about Football
Kevin Johnson - Aussie Rules I Thank You (Written for the Centenary season)
Mike Brady - Up Their Cazely
Mike Brady - One Day in September
Mike Brady - Our Australian Football
McKenna - Last ones Standing (2010)
Paul Kelly - Leaps and Bounds

Broadcast
Bliss n Eso - House of Dreams (Channel 7 Used for 2013 AFL Finals)
Chris Doheny - More Than a Game (Channel 9 used for The Footy Show)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Fanfare for the common man (Channel 7 used for 7Sport)
EMF - You're Unbelievable (Used for AFL Advertising in the 90's and Reused for AFLW Advertising)
Fallout Boy - Thanks for the Memories (Channel 10 used for 2007 Finals)
Lee Roy Parnell - If The House is Rockin' (Channel 7 98 ad 99)
Hunters and Collectors - Holy Grail (Channel 10 Used for AFL Coverage)
Mark Willott - AFL Theme (Composed for Fox Footy)
Nirvana - Comas as you are (AFL Music Clip 1995 - Source)
Point Break - Stand Tough (Channel 7 Used for AFL coverage)
Powderfinger - On My Mind (Channel 10 Used for 2006 AFL finals series)
The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition (Channel 10 Used for 2009 Finals, Performed on Grand Final day 2012)
U2 - Zoo Station (Used For AFL/Channel 7 Video Product 'The 90's The Decade That Delivered')
ZZ Top - Velcro Fly (Used for The ABC's AFL coverage in 1987)

Stadium Use or Club Associated
AC/DC - Hells Bells (Melbourne Pregame) (Used in Finals)
Guns and Roses - Welcome to The Jungle (Richmond?)
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (Collingwood Pregame)
Metallica - Enter Sandman (Used Pregame and breaks by multiple clubs in the past)
Melbourne FC - Cmon Demons (1987)
Daddy Cool - Eagle Rock (West Coast Post Game)
Eminem - Lose Yourself (Used Pregame and breaks by multiple clubs in the past)
INXS - Never Tear us Apart (Port Adelaide Pregame)
Pink Floyd - Time (Used in Finals)
Rudimental - Not Giving In (Port Adelaide Pregame)
Survivor - Eye of The Tiger (Richmond formerly)

AFL Grand Final acts (Not Counting Anthem Singers)
1991 - Daryl Braithwaite and Angry Anderson (The Batmobile at Waverley)
1993 - Maroochy Barambah, Archie Roach and Yothu Yindi
1994 - The Seekers and Debra Byrne
1995 - Tina Arena
1998 - Mark Seymour, Donna Fisk and Michael Cristiano sang "Rock 'N Footy"
2003 - Killing Heidi, The Whitlams, Kate Ceberano, The Human Tide. Mark Seymour
2004 - Guy Sebastion
2005 - Michael Bublé, Dame Edna Everage and The Whitlams
2006 - Brian Mannix, John Paul Young, Sean Kelly, Daryl Braithwaite and Shane Howard performing a medley
2007 - Jet
2008 - Powderfinger
2009 - Mark Seymour, Jimmy Barnes and John Farnham
2010 - INXS (Prematch), Lionel Richie (Prematch Grand Final Replay)
2011 - Unforgettably Meat Loaf
2012 - Tim Rogers and Paul Kelly (Prematch), The Temper Trap (Halftime), Paul Kelly & The Temper Trap (After Party)
2013 - Birds of Tokyo (Prematch), Hunters & Collectors (Halftime), Birds of Tokyo and Hunters & Collectors (After Party)
2014 - Ed Sheeran and Tom Jones (Prematch), Ed Sheeran and Tom Jones (After Party)
2015 - Eli Goulding, Bryan Adams, Chris Issak
2016 - Vance Joy, The Living End and Sting
2017 - The Killers (Prematch and After Party)
2018 - The Blackeyes Peas and Jimmy Barnes (Prematch), Jimmy Barnes (After Party)

I'm assuming i've missed a fair bit so help me out if i have

Last edited:
Port also use Rudimental Not Giving In as a pregame pump up when the team comes out.
Great resource though :thumbsu:
Thanks, i'll add it in

Fall Out Boy's "Centuries" also got used a lot by Channel 7 for, I think, the 2014 Finals.
"The Real Thing" by Russell Morris - Channel 7's coverage in 2007, and also the AFL's own marketing campaign in 2000 according to wikipedia
"Start It" by Vanessa Amorosi - Channel 7, 2008-2009
Diesel's "Tip of My Tongue" and Madonna's "Secret" regularly accompanied the phrase If you don't want to know the score, look away now on Channel 7 from the mid-90s to the early-2000s. Few other songs were used but those were the big ones, from memory.
A cheapo cover (not by Everclear) of Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back In Town" was used in AFL commercials for at least the 1997 Ansett Australia Cup and possibly other years too.
Dropkick Murphys' "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" used for the AFL's In a League of Its Own promo in 2009 as well as at stadiums before the opening bounce. Their song "The Boys Are Back" also started getting used by Channel 7 on Friday nights from around 2015.

A few others that might be worth mentioning are the "Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Holden Cars" jingle from the '70s and Talking Footy's theme song--neither of which I know anything about in terms of who wrote or performed them.

And just on Grand Final entertainment, Megan Washington performed for the AFLW in 2017 while Missy Higgins did not perform in 2018 lol (cancelled because it was too wet for her piano or something).

Weddings, Parties, Anything - Monday's Experts (Used as the intro for Talking Footy in 1995 & 96)
Nickelback - See You At The Show (Used by Channel 9 for Friday Night Football in 2005)
U2 - Vertigo (Used by Channel 9 for Friday Night Football in 2006)
Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables Theme (Used by Channel 7 as the Congratulations Theme for the Brownlow Medalist since 1987)
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger (Used for the intro of That Was The Season That Was 1983)
Michael Kamen - Robin Hood Overture (Used for the intro of That Was The Season That Was 1994 and various montages on Channel 7)
Joe South - Games People Play (Used for That Was The Season That Was 1995 Intro and Credits)
Tommy Emmanuel - Classical Gas (Used for the intro of That Was The Season That Was 2001)

WARNING: LONG POST BELOW

This is a topic I've been researching and thinking about a lot over the past couple of years, and I'd like to fill in some gaps.

Broadcast

Seven's theme for 1998 and 1999 was "Rock the G" by Fisk and Christian (when they did a game from another venue, the lyrics were changed to "Rock The World" or, on one occasion, "Rock Football Park")
For the 2005 finals series, Ten used AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top"
In their 2007 promos, Ten used Jet's "Bring It All Back"
In their 2008 promos, Ten used "Snakeskin" by Gyroscope.
In their 2011 promos, Ten used "Never Miss A Beat" by Kaiser Chiefs.

NOTE:
Some of these might have only been one-offs... feel free to make any additions or corrections (YouTube evidence would be helpful)

Adelaide:
A couple of years back, they played Wolfmother's "Joker and the Thief" before the opening bounce.
After a Friday night game which they narrowly lost last year, they played Guy Sebastian's (a Crows supporter!) "Battle Scars" after the winning team's song was played.

Brisbane Lions: This season they played "Jungle" by X Ambassadors before the opening bounce.
Around 2013-14, after the winning team's song was played, they played "Safe and Sound" by Capital Cities (possibly as a sort of safety message for fans going home)

Carlton: Played Fatboy Slim's "Right Here Right Now" before the opening bounce for a few years (they still might do it)

Essendon: The Bombers were something of a pioneer in this field when, in 2001, they played Jennifer Lopez's "Let's Get Loud" before the game.
In their 2016 game against the Suns at Docklands, they played a snippet of Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People" after every Bombers goal.

Fitzroy: Actually, forget what I said about Essendon above... the Royboys were the true innovators when, in 1992, they blasted AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" over the Princes Park speakers before the start of each half(before it became a sports music cliche)
Proof of this can be seen here:

And here:

Fremantle: Used AC/DC's "TNT" as their pre-bounce song for a few years (presumably a nod to Bon Scott's Freo roots) This season they changed it to Prince's "Purple Rain"
Also this season, they played Vance Joy's "We're Going Home" after the winning team's song was played (presumably for similar reasons to the Lions song above)

Geelong: Before their Friday night game against the Swans at Kardinia Park in 2016, they played Rage Against The Machine's "Killing In The Name" before the opening bounce.
I've heard rumours they've used The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" as their pre-bounce song either this year or last, but have not found evidence of this.
And since the OP mentioned Melbourne's "C'Mon Demons" song from 1987, I should mention this gem from around the same time:

Gold Coast: In their first few seasons, they played the final section of Guns N Roses' "November Rain" before the opening bounce.
More recently, they've played Fatboy Slim's "Right Here Right Now" before the start of the first, third and final quarters.

GWS: Have used AC/DC's "Hells Bells" as their pre-bounce song for a few years. (Fun fact: the Young brothers grew up in Burwood [the Sydney suburb, not the Melbourne one] which is considered by some to be on the border of Eastern and Western Sydney)

Hawthorn: I've heard rumours they've played Daryl Braithwaite's "The Horses" after their club song post game, but have not found evidence of this.

Melbourne: Played Metallica's "Enter Sandman" as their pre-bounce song a few years back.
This season, they've played Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People" before the start of certain quarters.

North Melbourne: I've seen on a few sites (including this one) that they played "Remember The Name" by Fort Minor as a pregame song a few years back, but am unable to find evidence of it.
Also, for a time, they played a snippet of "Boom" by P.O.D. after every Brent Harvey goal.

Richmond: Not surprisingly, they played "Eye of The Tiger" by Survivor as their pregame song for a few years. More recently (according to Reddit... I have no audio or video proof of this) they have switched to "Jungle" by Tash Sultana.
And here's the most unusual entry on this list (even more so than Barry Crocker's Cats song): around 2016-17, after a Tigerland had been played twice after a win at the G, they played... "To Be With You" by Mr Big!

St Kilda: Used AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top" before the start of the first and third quarters a few years back
I've heard rumours they've used "Jungle" by X Ambassadors as their pregame song this year, but again, no evidence.
After their Friday night win over Carlton this year, after "When The Saints Go Marching In" had been played seemingly endless times, they played "You're The Best" by Joe Esposito (aka the Karate Kid theme)

Sydney: Played Kanye West's "Black Skinhead" before the opening bounce a couple of years back (they might still do)
Have used Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" at quarter time recently.
After beating Essendon with a goal after the siren on a Friday night last year, they played Bruno Mars' "24K Magic" after the Swans theme song.

West Coast: This year they played Wolfmother's "Joker And The Thief" as the Eagles emerged from the tunnel, before the Eagles song played
Also used Fatboy Slim's "Right Here Right Now" (again!) before the start of the first and third quarters.
I've heard rumours they've used the theme from "The Greatest Showman" as a pregame song this season, but again, no evidence.

Western Bulldogs: I recall them playing AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top" (again!) before the start of a second half a few years back.

Grand Final: For the last three deciders, Pink Floyd's "Time" has been played before the opening bounce.

Diesel's "Tip of My Tongue" and Madonna's "Secret" regularly accompanied the phrase If you don't want to know the score, look away now on Channel 7 from the mid-90s to the early-2000s. Few other songs were used but those were the big ones, from memory.

The very first song to be used for "look away now" was Kim Wilde's cover of "You Keep Me Hanging On" in 1989, as seen here:

They also used Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" in the 90s.
When Nine had the rights, their "look away now" song was Hunters & Collectors' "Do You See What I See"

Last edited:

This is a topic I've been researching and thinking about a lot over the past couple of years, and I'd like to fill in some gaps.

Broadcast

Seven's theme for 1998 and 1999 was "Rock the G" by Fisk and Christian (when they did a game from another venue, the lyrics were changed to "Rock The World" or, on one occasion, "Rock Football Park")

NOTE:
Some of these might have only been one-offs... feel free to make any additions or corrections (YouTube evidence would be helpful)

Adelaide:
A couple of years back, they played Wolfmother's "Joker and the Thief" before the opening bounce.
After a Friday night game which they narrowly lost last year, they played Guy Sebastian's (a Crows supporter!) "Battle Scars" after the winning team's song was played.

Brisbane Lions: This season they played "Jungle" by X Ambassadors before the opening bounce.
Around 2013-14, after the winning team's song was played, they played "Safe and Sound" by Capital Cities (possibly as a sort of safety message for fans going home)

Carlton: Played Fatboy Slim's "Right Here Right Now" before the opening bounce for a few years (they still might do it)

Essendon: The Bombers were something of a pioneer in this field when, in 2001, they played Jennifer Lopez's "Let's Get Loud" before the game.
In their 2016 game against the Suns at Docklands, they played a snippet of Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People" after every Bombers goal.

Fitzroy: Actually, forget what I said about Essendon above... the Royboys were the true innovators when, in 1992, they blasted AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" over the Princes Park speakers before the start of each half(before it became a sports music cliche)
Evidence of this can be seen here:

Fremantle: Used AC/DC's "TNT" as their pre-bounce song for a few years (presumably a nod to Bon Scott's Freo roots) This season they changed it to Prince's "Purple Rain"
Also this season, they played Vance Joy's "We're Going Home" after the winning team's song was played (presumably for similar reasons to the Lions song above)

Geelong: Before their Friday night game against the Swans at Kardinia Park in 2016, they played Rage Against The Machine's "Killing In The Name" before the opening bounce.
I've heard rumours they've used The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" as their pre-bounce song either this year or last, but have not found evidence of this.
There's also this gem from the '80s:

Gold Coast: In their first few seasons, they played the final section of Guns N Roses' "November Rain" before the opening bounce.
More recently, they've played Fatboy Slim's "Right Here Right Now" before the start of the first, third and final quarters.

GWS: Have used AC/DC's "Hells Bells" as their pre-bounce song for a few years. (Fun fact: the Young brothers grew up in Burwood [the Sydney suburb, not the Melbourne one] which is considered by some to be on the border of Eastern and Western Sydney)

Hawthorn: I've heard rumours they've played Daryl Braithwaite's "The Horses" after their club song post game, but have not found evidence of this.

Melbourne: Played Metallica's "Enter Sandman" as their pre-bounce song a few years back.
This season, they've played Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People" before the start of certain quarters.

North Melbourne: I've seen on a few sites (including this one) that they played "Remember The Name" by Fort Minor as a pregame song a few years back, but am unable to find evidence of it.
Also, for a time, they played a snippet of "Boom" by P.O.D. after every Brent Harvey goal.

Richmond: Now here's the most unusual entry on this list (even more so than Barry Crocker's Cats song):
Around 2016-17, after a Tigerland had been played twice after a Tiges win at the G, they played... "To Be With You" by Mr Big!

St Kilda: Used AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top" before the start of the first and third quarters a few years back
I've heard rumours they've used "Jungle" by X Ambassadors as their pregame song this year, but again, no evidence.
After their Friday night win over Carlton this year, after "When The Saints Go Marching In" had been played seemingly endless times, they played "You're The Best" by Joe Esposito (aka the Karate Kid theme)

Sydney: Have used Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" at quarter time recently.
After beating Essendon with a goal after the siren on a Friday night last year, they played Bruno Mars' "24K Magic" after the Swans theme song.

West Coast: This year they played Wolfmother's "Joker And The Thief" as the Eagles emerged from the tunnel, before the Eagles song played
Also used Fatboy Slim's "Right Here Right Now" (again!) before the start of the first and third quarters.
I've heard rumours they've used the theme from "The Greatest Showman" as a pregame song this season, but again, no evidence.

Western Bulldogs: I recall them playing AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top" (again!) before the start of a second half a few years back.

Grand Final: For the last three deciders, Pink Floyd's "Time" has been played before the opening bounce.

They also used Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"
When Nine had the rights, their "look away now" song was Hunters & Collectors' "Do You See What I See"

Thanks mate appreciated. My idea for this thread is that it'd be like an open community project. All input is welcome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’ve missed the iconic “Shut Up The Footy’s On The Radio” by TISM

Yes, the song that Triple M used as the theme for their coverage in the first few years (they use a different version now)

And here's a list of other songs that have been used as radio footy opening themes (in no particular order):

3AW
Something About Our Game (an original)
Foo Fighters - Best of You
Wolfmother - New Moon Rising
Airbourne - Running Wild
Rihanna - S&M (no really, they used this as their theme for a whole year.. obviously certain lyrics were removed)

Triple M
Saliva - Click Click Boom
H-Block X - The Power

ABC
Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera - Feel This Moment (they used this for the finals a few years back)

SEN
OK Go - Here It Goes Again
Little Birdy - Come On Come On

Crocmedia (AFL Live/AFL Nation)
Bon Jovi - We Weren't Born To Follow
The Living End - Moment In The Sun
5 Seconds of Summer - She Looks So Perfect
Ed Sheeran & Rudimental - Bloodstream
Sigma feat. Paloma Faith - Changing

Last edited:
Yes, the song that Triple M used as the theme for their coverage in the first few years (they use a different version now)

And here's a list of other songs that have been used as radio footy opening themes (in no particular order):

3AW
Something About Our Game (an original)
Foo Fighters - Best of You
Wolfmother - New Moon Rising
Airbourne - Running Wild
Rihanna - S&M (no really, they used this as their theme for a whole year.. obviously certain lyrics were removed)

Triple M
Saliva - Click Click Boom
H-Block X - The Power

ABC
Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera - Feel This Moment (they used this for the finals a few years back)

SEN
OK Go - Here It Goes Again
Little Birdy - Come On Come On

Crocmedia (AFL Live/AFL Nation)
Bon Jovi - We Weren't Born To Follow
The Living End - Moment In The Sun
5 Seconds of Summer - She Looks So Perfect
Ed Sheeran & Rudimenal - Bloodstream
Sigma feat. Paloma Faith - Changing
It says on the Triple M Wikipedia page that they also used the following songs at one point on their AFL coverage.

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Hard-Fi - Hard to Beat
The Living End - Tabloid Magazine
The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love

So take that with a pinch of salt as I don't know if they actually used those at one point.

It says on the Triple M Wikipedia page that they also used the following songs at one point on their AFL coverage.

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Hard-Fi - Hard to Beat
The Living End - Tabloid Magazine
The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love

So take that with a pinch of salt as I don't know if they actually used those at one point.

I was specifically referring to songs played at the beginning of a broadcast.
All the songs you mentioned have played in the background when they go to an ad break (other songs I can think of that have been used for this purpose include Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes, Raise The Alarm by The Living End, and last season Safari Song by Greta Van Fleet)

Last edited:
Being a fan of the more abrasive, alternative metal/punk and hardcore scene, it's easy to remember when songs I like are played out of nowhere.

This was legit played Hand Of Mercy in a highlight package years ago when a game was coming back from a three quarter time break. They had taken the vocals out though.

Triple M used this in a radio package last year as well which I was happy with. Dream On Dreamer.

Have also heard A Day To Remember and Bring Me The Horizon on the footy coverage and Bounce used a Parkway Drive song once as well which made my day.

Hawthorn for thier 60 second countdown before the bounce use Barns Courtney - Glitter and Gold

Collingwood used Metallica - Nothing Else Matters in 2018 for thier 60 second countdown/before the bounce

Carlton use Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't hold us when they announce thier team line up.

North Melbourne up until 2017 used Justin Seven Music - Music the Best 3 for thier 60 second countdown.

A few clubs use Wolfmother - Joker and the Thief before the team comes out.

Great post Pakenhamsaint. Have you got any YouTube links for the first and last examples? (by which, I mean game clips where the songs can be clearly heard)

H

Broadcast

NOTE:

Adelaide: A couple of years back, they played Wolfmother's "Joker and the Thief" before the opening bounce.

Proof of this can be seen here:

And here:

And since the OP mentioned Melbourne's "C'Mon Demons" song from 1987, I should mention this gem from around the same time:

Richmond: Not surprisingly, they played "Eye of The Tiger" by Survivor as their pregame song for a few years. More recently (according to Reddit... I have no audio or video proof of this) they have switched to "Jungle" by Tash Sultana.
And here's the most unusual entry on this list (even more so than Barry Crocker's Cats song): around 2016-17, after a Tigerland had been played twice after a win at the G, they played... "To Be With You" by Mr Big!

Sydney: Played Kanye West's "Black Skinhead" before the opening bounce a couple of years back (they might still do)
Have used Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" at quarter time recently.

The very first song to be used for "look away now" was Kim Wilde's cover of "You Keep Me Hanging On" in 1989, as seen here:

They also used Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" in the 90s.

Hawthorn play a song called 'Glitter and Gold" before the opening bounce. After big interstate trips, the boys would sing Horses in the club rooms after the game. Pretty sure Brent Guerra started it after the round 2 win against west coast in 2013

There's a couple of Geelong-related songs that have been used over the years:

Fort Minor - Remember the Name

This was used as part of our pre-game pump up video in 2015, maybe a little earlier, maybe a little later

The Rubens - Hoops

This has been used following the winning teams theme song at GMHBA since about 2016

Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

This is often played in the pre-game at GMHBA games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back