AFL Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong:
I've heard rumours they've used The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" as their pre-bounce song either this year or last, but have not found evidence of this.

I can also confirm that we have been using this song in the pre-game for a few years now

I actually really want to know some of the MCG (Or Melbourne) music they play before bounces, it's probably some stock music from who knows where

They were announced as Freo's #1 Ticketholders after that.

While some hail from Freo, I'm not entirely convinced they were the lifelong Dockers fans as which was presented to us at the time...

I've happened to find the song Channel 7 used for the Seven's Big League theme and the song they used as their main theme after getting the rights back from the ABC in 1988 before switching to Fanfare for the Common Man in 1990.

The Theme to Seven's Big League is called Energy II by Craig Palmer

and the theme Channel 7 used from 1988-1989 is called Mega-race by Patrick Wilson

This makes me wonder if we could end finding more production songs that were used by any of the broadcasters sometime. There's certainly a few montage songs from several of the That Was The Season That Was specials I wouldn't mind knowing the names to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn have used Power and the Passion by Midnight Oil in the past but Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother seems to be the one used these days, which I reckon works great.

In terms of one offs - Led Zeppelin's Kashmir was used pre game at the 2008 GF

I've heard My Pal by God used at games (including at least one GF) which blew my mind

Along similar lines I remember Radio Birdman's We've Come So Far To Be Here was used as on the pre-match highlights for a semi (2015?) which had my blood pumping

Bump, but theres this song that 7 have been playing in the background of highlights at the end of every finals match and i’m desperate to find out what it is!

Thought I might give this thread a bump with a few music choices I noted this season:

Adelaide played "Headstrong" by Trapt a couple of time during warmups this year (an interesting choice, given the lead singer's recent antics on Twitter)

This year, after Brisbane's many wins at the Gabba, the club song was followed by Rose Tattoo's "We Can't Be Beaten"

Gold Coast played Panic! At The Disco's cover of "The Greatest Show" before the opening bounce, and "Here Comes The Sun" by The Beatles before the start of the second half.

North Melbourne used "Epic" by Faith No More as a pre-game song, and whenever they won at home this year (which admittedly, wasn't very often), Icehouse's "Electric Blue" was played after "Join In the Chorus".

At a few Port Adelaide games this year (such as the one where they lost to St Kilda) the winning team's song was followed by Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen". Not sure of the meaning behind this one... perhaps one (or more) of their leadership group hates the song, and it was used as punishment for losing a game they were expected to win?

West Coast used the same pregame song as the other team with "coast" in their name.

The Western Bulldogs used "Enter Sandman" as their pregame song in 2019, but in 2020 they switched to a more fitting and less cliched song: "The Dogs Are Talking" by The Angels.

And finally, something I noticed this year was Seven playing background music during goal replays (both to fill in the extended stoppages and make up for the lack of crowd noise earlier in the season)
Here are the songs that they tended to do this with most often:

And my personal favourite (as well as Rohan Connolly's... he lost his s**t on Twitter when he realised that Seven were using this song)

Looking for AFL Grand Final outro music from years. All I can remember is 2011 Ten used "Holy Grail" to close the broadcast which was their final broadcast for footy.

In 1997, Seven used "Va Pensiero" by Italian singer Zucchero:

Also, from a now-defunct YouTube page:
1988: Pat Benatar - All Fired Up (before it became a cliche to use it for sports)
1991: Elton John - Measure of a Man
1992: U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing

Last edited:
I found a couple more that are on YouTube or were on YouTube.

1990: Just Once by Quincy Jones
1993: Let The Kingdom Come by White Heart
1999: Mother We Just Can't Get Enough by New Radicals
2000: When We Were Kings by Brian McKnight and Diana King
2007: Times Like These by Foo Fighters
2012: The World's Greatest by R. Kelly (Yikes... That has not aged well at all...)
2020: The Deepest Sighs, the Frankest Shadows by Gang of Youths
2021: Times Like These by Foo Fighters (again... This time used by Channel 7)

I'll see if I can find any more and I'll update you guys if I do.

Ok, I've found a few more along with an interesting tidbit.

2008: None on the day/Viva La Vida by Coldplay (This is an interesting one as Channel 7 aired the post season montage at the end of the Second Test of the International Rules Series that year. I have a feeling they ran out of time to run it during the Grand Final itself due to Hawthorn taking very long to get to the Change Rooms to sing the song due to Trent Croad being on crutches. They had their usual credits of the time up as Hawthorn were in the rooms and waiting for Croad to get down the race and into the room.)
2009: Beautiful Day by U2 (Again… Ten double dipping this time.)
2010 Draw: Guns in the Sky (Live at Wembley) by INXS
2010 Replay: These Times by Swervedriver
2013: Play With Fire by Vance Joy/On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons (Channel 7 used both songs for the outro with Seven using the first song over highlights of the game and the second one over highlights of Hawthorn celebrating the win.)
2014: Room to Breathe by You Me At Six

Last edited:
Ok, I've found a few more along with an interesting tidbit.

2010 Replay: These Times by Swervedriver
Well there's one I missed. Always loved Son of Mustang Ford - great band. Along similar lines, I nearly fell of my chair when this came on during one of the AFL broadcasts.

In 1997, Seven used "Va Pensiero" by Italian singer Zucchero:

Also, from a now-defunct YouTube page:
1988: Pat Benatar - All Fired Up (before it became a cliche to use it for sports)
1991: Elton John - Measure of a Man
1992: U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing

you found my channel ;)

Zucchero made another appearance in 1998 too, along with Andrea Boccelli

We've got another one!

Rhett Bartlett posted the ending to the 2001 AFL Grand Final.

It was a montage of classic footage set to various songs used by Channel 7 during their 45 year stint with the VFL/AFL. (I Do Love A Saturday Arvo, One Day in September, Up There Cazaly, Yes We Were There, Aussie Rules I Thank You, That's The Thing About Football, Rockin' Footy and When Footy Ruled The World.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back