Preview AFL NAB Cup Round 2 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Metricon Stadium, 7:40PM (8:40PM AEDT) Friday 2 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL NAB Cup Round 2 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Metricon Stadium, 7:40PM Friday 2 March

I'd be happy to keep with theme of playing a chunk of kids with the slightly older players being asked to carry an extra load. Hogan,Motlop,THunt,Gillies,MBrown etc must step. Another eye catching game from Motlop and he will be a strong chance for Freo. Hogan has to keep getting the ball and not turn it over , or Byrnes will be eyeing his spot.

Guthrie, HS , Smedts will all find a way into the side so these others have to press early to get the go.

Our forwardline was weak , Id be interested to see how Walker plays with Hawkins and others play and draw defenders to them. He may be able to present as he seem to move quite well.

Do we use the both rucks again. It will be a long season for West and OS but its important for both these guys to get really comfortable in the side. Especially OS who looked like he might be a clever tap ruckman for us once he knows his teammates better.

Re: AFL NAB Cup Round 2 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Metricon Stadium, 7:40PM Friday 2 March

What kind of team do you anticipate the Cats to send up to Metricon.

The Suns are still a long way from challenging a full strength Geelong side, and even if Geelong field about a 75% side (which is what i'm guessing) it should mean a victory to you guys.

Geelong by 20 points

The embryonic Suns side this time last year was able to beat Swans in one of those half games, and FWIW, I doubt Geelong will field a side a lot stronger than what we saw on the weekend, which would probably mean a loss for Geelong in Q'land, and of no significance , yet.

As long as we walk away unscathed by injuries, and we try as many young ones as feasible, given we have little choice with all our unavailables, I for one will be happy.

Is it a standard 22-man squad in these NAB Cup games? Either way, I see a couple of young players (and J.Hunt) dropping out and a few senior players taking their spots. You want to get one game, minimum, into your senior players before Round 1 and preferably two and even if we win both games, we're no certainty to play beyond that. So I'd expect some of the Enright, Kelly, Christensen, Chapman, Corey, Johnson, Hawkins and Scarlett crew to come back. Shannon Byrnes probably needs a run as well.

I'm all for giving the kids a go and really liked what I saw from all of them, but if they're no chance of playing in round 1, they've probably got to take a back seat for now. That includes guys like Burbury, even though I thought he was great on Friday. There's also the chance to give a couple of senior players a rest in favour of other senior players who missed last week (Taylor/Lonergan for Scarlett, for example).

I'd be happy with a team like this for Friday night:

B: Gillies, Lonergan, Guthrie
HB: T. Hunt, Scarlett, Smedts
C: Bartel, Selwood, Corey
HF: Motlop, Hawkins, Christensen
F: Stokes, West, Byrnes
R: Stephenson, Kelly, Hogan
I/C: Brown, Cowan
S: Horlin-Smith, Chapman
E: Walker (*), Schroder, Murdoch

*Walker's inclusion this week will probably tell us a lot about how Pods is going with his recovery.

This Gold Coast team is going to be good. Warnock is a massive inclusion for them, as it allows Bock to go forward, where he is a handful. Around the eight win mark this season and finals contenders from 2013 onwards.

Re: AFL NAB Cup Round 2 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Metricon Stadium, 7:40PM (8:40PM AEDT) Friday 2 Marc

Scott seemed to indicate today that Walker and probably Brown will play again. I don't think it means anything re Pods, all along they've said he will only play once before round 1 (i.e. the week after the Richmond game) so no one is expecting him earlier than that. He also seemed to indicate we won't have too many experienced players although at the very least you'd think Byrnes will return along with Tomahawk.

Do we get to have the 6 bench plus 2 subs with the longer game this week?

Re: AFL NAB Cup Round 2 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Metricon Stadium, 7:40PM (8:40PM AEDT) Friday 2 Marc

Suns have named a fairly strong line-up, without many missing. Probably 5 or so missing (Caddy, Matera, Day, Thompson, Stanley).

Those who are in a good chance for our round 1 team are highlighted below.

1. Jaeger O'Meara,
2. Zac Smith,
3. Jared Brennan,
4. Maverick Weller,
5. Jarrod Harbrow,
7. Karmichael Hunt,
8. Luke Russell,
9. Gary Ablett,
11. Harley Bennell,

13. Hayden Jolly,
14. Matthew Warnock,
17. Josh Fraser,
19. Tom Lynch,
21. Jeremy Taylor,
23. Charlie Dixon,
24. David Swallow,
26. Matt Shaw,
30. Campbell Brown,
33. Aaron Hall,
35. Michael Rischitelli,
36. Sam Iles,

37. Alex Sexton,
41. Dion Prestia,
43. Liam Patrick,
44. Nathan Bock,
45. Steven May,
47. Daniel Gorringe,
48. Seb Tape,

51. Andrew McQualter

By comparison, Cats have named a young team I think? The Cats are likely a bit stronger still given the VFL system Geelong have got, but should be a close game. Hopefully, anyway.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/129756/default.aspx

Into the side from last week's games against Sydney and St Kilda come Tom Hawkins, Shannon Byrnes, Josh Cowan, Jed Bews, Jordan Murdoch and Joel Hamling.

Out of last week's squad goes Josh Hunt who was suspended for two weeks by the match review panel for a tackle on Luke Parker. Also out of the squad are premiership players Tom Lonergan and Mitch Duncan.

Mitchell Brown
Billie Smedts
Jimmy Bartel
Andrew Mackie
Harry Taylor
Trent West
Joel Selwood
Jordan Schroder
Shannon Byrnes
Josh Cowan
Taylor Hunt
Jordan Murdoch
Orren Stephenson
Thomas Gillies
Tom Hawkins
Mathew Stokes
Cameron Guthrie
Steven Motlop
George Horlin-Smith
Simon Hogan
Cameron Eardley
Shane Kersten
Jesse Stringer
Josh Walker
George Burbury
Jonathan Simpkin
Ryan Bathie
Jed Bews
Joel Hamling

Another young team, awesome to see how Cowan, Bews, Murdoch and Hamling go.

Good to see the selectors give the kids another run again, no need to have too many of the older guys travel.

Big week for Byrnesy hope he goes very well.

Excited to see all the rookie listed players again and now that Menzel is on the LTI they've got every incentive to impress.

Surprised by Hamling this early as he's so slight but I guess the thinking would be GC with a lot of young kids are the side least likely to batter him physically so it's the best time to give him a run.

Very happy to see my boy Murdoch get a hit out. Good to see Cowan back too, him, Poodle, Motlop Hogan etc are the guys we need to really play well to create pressure for spots in the 22.

I hope Walker doesn't play back because Lonners is rested, he looked good forward and I hope we leave him there. Also means Gillies and Bathie can play full games as key defenders and take a turn against a good player like Bock, which will help us see where they are at.

Hopefully Westy and Orren can continue from their good games last week.

Suns have named a fairly strong line-up, without many missing. Probably 5 or so missing (Caddy, Matera, Day, Thompson, Stanley).

Those who are in a good chance for our round 1 team are highlighted below.

1. Jaeger O'Meara,
2. Zac Smith,
3. Jared Brennan,
4. Maverick Weller,
5. Jarrod Harbrow,
7. Karmichael Hunt,
8. Luke Russell,
9. Gary Ablett,
11. Harley Bennell,

13. Hayden Jolly,
14. Matthew Warnock,
17. Josh Fraser,
19. Tom Lynch,
21. Jeremy Taylor,
23. Charlie Dixon,
24. David Swallow,
26. Matt Shaw,
30. Campbell Brown,
33. Aaron Hall,
35. Michael Rischitelli,
36. Sam Iles,

37. Alex Sexton,
41. Dion Prestia,
43. Liam Patrick,
44. Nathan Bock,
45. Steven May,
47. Daniel Gorringe,
48. Seb Tape,

51. Andrew McQualter

By comparison, Cats have named a young team I think? The Cats are likely a bit stronger still given the VFL system Geelong have got, but should be a close game. Hopefully, anyway.

That's a good side, you should be a chance to win with that.

We've named a pretty young squad, really the only very experienced players are Bartel Selwood Taylor Hawkins Stokes and Byrnes along with our first choice ruck combo of West and Orren, the rest is the kids. There's some good kids in there who will be looking to fill the spot Ling vacated and Varcoe (out injured for round 1) such as Smedts Guthrie Hogan Motlop Cowan Horlin Smith and so on.

Only 6 from the 2011 GF side.
Fantastic to get some more quality time into the kids!
Looking forward to seeing young Bews...
I'd expect Mitch Brown to get some better results and possessions with Hawkins in the side.

I'd expect Mitch Brown to get some better results and possessions with Hawkins in the side.
Agree completely - reckon we'll get a better look at what the young forwards can do with big Tom straightening things up.

And geez I'm looking forward to Murdoch and his turbo-boosters. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm so happy for Jed that he got a game in the side. A local Leopold boy who i've had the pleasure of watching first hand on more than a few occassions. A quicker version of Boris enright have been the comparisons, and i can see a touch of Boris in the way Jed plays. I'd be suprised if he plays seniors for the first couple of years but he definately has the ability to surprise a few people.:thumbsu:
It's pretty warm up here at present and the forecast is for more warm weather, so there will be quite a few rotations. Looking forward to a good tussle and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the the Suns won this game. Their younger players look like they've improved out of sight and bulked up, which is allowing them to play some reasonable contested footy.

Good to see the selectors give the kids another run again, no need to have too many of the older guys travel.

Big week for Byrnesy hope he goes very well.

Excited to see all the rookie listed players again and now that Menzel is on the LTI they've got every incentive to impress.

Surprised by Hamling this early as he's so slight but I guess the thinking would be GC with a lot of young kids are the side least likely to batter him physically so it's the best time to give him a run.

Very happy to see my boy Murdoch get a hit out. Good to see Cowan back too, him, Poodle, Motlop Hogan etc are the guys we need to really play well to create pressure for spots in the 22.

I hope Walker doesn't play back because Lonners is rested, he looked good forward and I hope we leave him there. Also means Gillies and Bathie can play full games as key defenders and take a turn against a good player like Bock, which will help us see where they are at.

Hopefully Westy and Orren can continue from their good games last week.

Me too the bolded bit.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/129756/default.aspx

Mitchell Brown
Billie Smedts
Jimmy Bartel
Andrew Mackie
Harry Taylor
Trent West
Joel Selwood
Jordan Schroder
Shannon Byrnes
Josh Cowan
Taylor Hunt
Jordan Murdoch
Orren Stephenson
Thomas Gillies
Tom Hawkins
Mathew Stokes
Cameron Guthrie
Steven Motlop
George Horlin-Smith
Simon Hogan
Cameron Eardley
Shane Kersten
Jesse Stringer
Josh Walker
George Burbury
Jonathan Simpkin
Ryan Bathie
Jed Bews
Joel Hamling

Another young team, awesome to see how Cowan, Bews, Murdoch and Hamling go.

Still no Bundy? :confused:

By the looks of your squad it seems Scotty is timing your run to see you deep into September again. You've got a gun young coach who learnt from the master in not deviating from the plan. At least with these line-ups it evens the sides up a bit and gives us some chance of a victory and a confidence boost which is what our young team really needs. Look forward to this match as you have got a lot of talented kids also - should be interesting to watch. BTW any Cats fans on the coast if you have a Suns membership you get free entry to this match.

By the looks of your squad it seems Scotty is timing your run to see you deep into September again. You've got a gun young coach who learnt from the master in not deviating from the plan. At least with these line-ups it evens the sides up a bit and gives us some chance of a victory and a confidence boost which is what our young team really needs. Look forward to this match as you have got a lot of talented kids also - should be interesting to watch. BTW any Cats fans on the coast if you have a Suns membership you get free entry to this match.

What you have to pay an admittance fee.:rolleyes:

Hope we see a glimpse of the future with Jordan Murdoch playing, 190cm pre-draft, and can run like a rabbit.

Also the duo of Walker and Burbury, both these kids very exciting and seriously trying to step up.

Not forgetting Bathie and Gillies, both important support players for defence this season.
And Cam Eardley, first year rookie but with plenty of ticker, didn't go unnoticed.

It will be interesting to see which of the rookies gets the nod.

Good to see the continuation of the youth policy, and also glad Tom is back in the team. Was a little worried the club was hiding something there!

Considering how young this team is, it could really go either way this Friday.

It's quite funny when you think that an almost completely young Geelong side could still potentially beat an almost full strength Gold Coast side. Ridiculous really. I'm not sure we will get up but I am super excited to see the kids again.

I read the alarming stat on one of the other board saying something like our 25th most experienced player on the list is Vardy with 8 games and our 27th is Motlop with 5 games. I'm not sure if this is true but so vital to get games into the 25th player onwards on our list! These preseason games will be a good opportunity to build up our depth.

I'm going up to the Goldy for the weekend and will be heading to the game...

I know the situation with there being no parking but I've hired a car and will be driving out there from Surfers.

Anyone who went up there last year (and drove to the ground) have any tips on parking near the ground? I dont mind a strole either..

So is it 20+2 with the new sub rule this week?

Interested to see if any of the inclusions get a run. Bews and Hamling in particular, because both seem to have been marked as project players; maybe give them a taste before setting down to the weekly grind in the VFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back