News AFL names indigenous round for Fitzroy's Doug Nicholls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
The AFL will name their indigenous round (Round 10 next year) after former Fitzroy player Sir Doug Nicholls.

Nicholls is the only AFL player to have been knighted and serve as a state governor.

The centrepiece of round 10 on May 27-29 next year will be the annual Dreamtime At The 'G match on Saturday night between Essendon and Richmond.

Read more from Fitzroy's website at www.fitzroyfc.com.au

Hopefully Fitzroy Football Club can do something similar in the equivalent VAFA round to honor one of their most well known players.

Great to read this development. It has always annoyed me that Nicholls wasn't selected in the Aboriginal Team of the Century. I'm pleased his legacy has now been acknowledged in this way.

RL, do you think this development is main board worthy?

Great to read this development. It has always annoyed me that Nicholls wasn't selected in the Aboriginal Team of the Century. I'm pleased his legacy has now been acknowledged in this way.

RL, do you think this development is main board worthy?

Couldn't hurt. Any talk of Fitzroy is good. :)

Couldn't hurt. Any talk of Fitzroy is good. :)

Doug and family frequently attended the Junction Oval,and they were always welcomed with a warm round of applause by the supporters in the stand on arrival...he always acknowledged this with a friendly wave. Dad saw him play and described Doug as being very neat,fast and skillful. Also a strong tackler.
A close friend of mine did the tax returns for the ...I think ...the Aboriginal Advancement League,and he mentioned how thrilled Doug was with his appointment as Gov. of South Aussie, per the great Don Dunstan. Doug said he was very excited by having access to a special carriage and train, which would enable him, 'To visit my people".

Doug Nicholls was a man amongst men, a man who lived a life and held his head high. From a pug boxer in Jimmy Sharmans touring tent taking all comers to a social revolutionary. That's why the establishment took notice, he was up there with knights and earls. But it was a hard road to travel. When he first joined the Roys he was sitting at the historic Brunswick Street oval lacing his boots up by himself away from the other players. This he had to do at Carlton previously. Then Hayden Bunton approached him and asked what are you doing by yourself and invited him to join the rest of team. A short walk but a long history. So lets honour this great Australian on the day he has given us. Well done Sir Doug.

I read somewhere that Hayden Bunton Snr took him under his wing and ensured he didn't cop the discrimination he would of had to endure playing during that era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back