Review AFL National Draft Geelong picks 22 24 36 and 57

Remove this Banner Ad

If you see the instagram clip of Kelly talking, from the way he was playing with his jumper, I'd say he looked nervous as hell in front of the media. So with that in mind, I don't think he seemed arrogant - if anything, he was just trying to get the interview over and done with and he did a pretty good job considering.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2017-12-04/jumper-announcement-tim-kelly

To me ..its a cross between a little bit ill at ease ..but also just his personality. Its funny that he said he liked Chris Judd because as soon as he said that ..he reminded me of Judd the way he talked and answered things in a sort of off handed way. He stated things in a non polished tactless way but he was not trying to rev himself up etc.

Job number one for someone inside the club .... educate him on the history of his number 11 has had some pretty good players but he is not sure who Joel Corey is then he need a good 1/2 an hour at the computer. ..( and make sure he gets shown that smother from the PF in 07)

Love that smother, pure instinct. I credit that one action as being as much responsible for a Geelong flag as I do Scarlett’s toe poke.

Same. As I understand it Joel is still a bit shitty with the club over his final year. This makes me sad coz supporters just loved the way he went about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2017-12-04/jumper-announcement-tim-kelly

To me ..its a cross between a little bit ill at ease ..but also just his personality. Its funny that he said he liked Chris Judd because as soon as he said that ..he reminded me of Judd the way he talked and answered things in a sort of off handed way. He stated things in a non polished tactless way but he was not trying to rev himself up etc.

Job number one for someone inside the club .... educate him on the history of his number 11 has had some pretty good players but he is not sure who Joel Corey is then he need a good 1/2 an hour at the computer. ..( and make sure he gets shown that smother from the PF in 07)

Half an hour? Spend half a year!

One thing about Corey i will never forget was his ability in the contest. The ability to get his hands free. A ball lost to a contest only to see two arms raise, one with the ball and belt it out to a playerom the outside. Tough as nails, put his head down and got on with it - a true work horse.

Probably the most underappreciated big body mids to ever play the game - one of my all time favourites.

Half an hour? Spend half a year!

One thing about Corey i will never forget was his ability in the contest. The ability to get his hands free. A ball lost to a contest only to see two arms raise, one with the ball and belt it out to a playerom the outside. Tough as nails, put his head down and got on with it - a true work horse.

Probably the most underappreciated big body mids to ever play the game - one of my all time favourites.
Agreed. I think Corey established himself as the first of that elite group of midfielders we had... I would love to know how much ground he would cover per game, as he ran and provided a lot of tackle pressure when the ball hit the deck and on the outside. I'd say he was our most manic midfielder, in terms of effort at the contest.

BORIS322 said:
We have a pretty healthy stable of small forwards now: Parfitt, Cockatoo, Narkle, Jones, Fogarty, Kelly, Miers, Gregson and McCarthy if fit, and Danger and Gaz down there at times, even Murdoch and Parsons play small. That’s a fair chunk of the list.
Lets re-assess at the end of the year. Happy the club finally saw the light and went hard at small forwards - can't keep using the injury excuse every bloody year.
Looks like a complete fail except maybe Narkle.. The same injury prone players stayed injury prone and of our new recruits Narkle,Fogarty and Jones got a chance. Fogarty has underwhelmed with no obvious attributes relative to his pick position, Narkle looks the best of the lot with a bit of flare, Jones didn't show much either. We really needed to recruit Devon Smith. For a guy who supposedly said he wanted to go to a club that would put him in the midfield hes spending a damn lot of time forward killing it.

Looks like a complete fail except maybe Narkle.. The same injury prone players stayed injury prone and of our new recruits Narkle,Fogarty and Jones got a chance. Fogarty has underwhelmed with no obvious attributes relative to his pick position, Narkle looks the best of the lot with a bit of flare, Jones didn't show much either. We really needed to recruit Devon Smith. For a guy who supposedly said he wanted to go to a club that would put him in the midfield hes spending a damn lot of time forward killing it.
You've thrown all of the toys out of the cot that early you haven't even had a proper chance to play with em yet.

fwiw, Jones and Narkle weren't drafted last year. It is the 'picks 22, 24, 36 & 57' thread who were Fogarty, Kelly, Constable and Miers. For anyone to go as early as you have calling it a complete failure is borderline delusional.

Replying to your own posts is interesting too.

fwiw, Jones and Narkle weren't drafted last year. It is the 'picks 22, 24, 36 & 57' thread who were Fogarty, Kelly, Constable and Miers. For anyone to go as early as you have calling it a complete failure is borderline delusional..
FWIW I never stated it was about just this years recruits - hence why I mentioned all recent recruits who have played forward. Fact is so far we still have not managed to recruit/develop a good small forward - doesn't mean one of the guys won't turn into it but no one has yet. As mentioned Narkle looks to have the most upside of those mentioned unless Fogarty has been playing hurt the whole season which has impacted his speed because he looks very very slow at the moment.

FWIW I never stated it was about just this years recruits - hence why I mentioned all recent recruits who have played forward. Fact is so far we still have not managed to recruit/develop a good small forward - doesn't mean one of the guys won't turn into it but no one has yet. As mentioned Narkle looks to have the most upside of those mentioned unless Fogarty has been playing hurt the whole season which has impacted his speed because he looks very very slow at the moment.

I don't think I've ever read an insightful comment that wanted to talk about player speed. You have no measure of it and yet think there's some judgement you can pass anyway.

I don't think I've ever read an insightful comment that wanted to talk about player speed. You have no measure of it and yet think there's some judgement you can pass anyway.
You don't need to be able to measure speed to the nearest 10th of a second to tell if an AFL player is quick or not. Simple things like chasing players when attempting to tackle. We don't need GPS on GHS to know he isn't very quick. Watching Fogarty chase opposition players is a pretty good way to judge speed which I have done a lot. Thats why I am hoping he has OP and its limiting his abilities because small forwards need speed if they aren't great at marking or kicking (which he isn't).

You don't need to be able to measure speed to the nearest 10th of a second to tell if an AFL player is quick or not. Simple things like chasing players when attempting to tackle. We don't need GPS on GHS to know he isn't very quick. Watching Fogarty chase opposition players is a pretty good way to judge speed which I have done a lot. Thats why I am hoping he has OP and its limiting his abilities because small forwards need speed if they aren't great at marking or kicking (which he isn't).
You have no objective measure or logical basis to judge his speed, and your opinion is consequently irrelevant.

Have a nice day.

Fogarty will be okay but small forward isn’t his position so it’s completely understandable why he’s been poor there.

I understand we can’t give him much, if any, midfield time because of all the midfielders we have but that’s his position so just let him dominate there in the VFL before bringing him in to play more midfield in the seniors.

I’d be fine with giving S. Selwood’s midfield time to Fogarty currently, Scooter isn’t tagging much anymore and if he is it usually isn’t that effective, then as a ball winning midfielder he’s just not good enough, tries hard but we’d be better suited to drop Scooter and give his midfield time to Parfitt & Fogarty who will be a part of our future midfield look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F.ogerty and Parfitt are not ready to do a Scooter type role.

Scooter is as hard as a cats head. He's not a star, but he is a solid contributor. Some would say we are soft enough without relegating players like Scooter to the VFL. The anti Scooter brigade will disagree no doubt and call for his exclusion..

For me, he holds his place............... for now...

Scooter is as hard as a cats head. He's not a star, but he is a solid contributor. Some would say we are soft enough without relegating players like Scooter to the VFL. The anti Scooter brigade will disagree no doubt and call for his exclusion..

His game against Brisbane has been too quickly overlooked imo. He was really impressive that day.

I’d agree, you are not leaving Scott Selwood in the VFL and playing O’Connor, Parsons and Fogarty.

However, the frustration is having him in midfield when Menegola, Parfitt and Kelly are spending large portions of the game out of the action.

His lack of guile when he has the ball is staggering. He is now a purely defensive player and should be used as a defensive forward. Cut out the opposition’s number one rebounder.

I am despairing that this has not been tried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back