Game Day AFL National Draft Night #2 - Tuesday November 29th. Coverage @ 7pm. Fox Footy, Kayo or AFL App/Website.

Remove this Banner Ad

North has had a really good draft. Sure they had high picks, but players like Sheezal and George are going to be fun to watch for their supporters. They need a bit of excitement.

For gods sake there's some miserable people on here. Be happy for them back them in and have faith in our recruiting team. Chances are they are watched a lot more footage than your 4 min YouTube clip.

We can always try and trade for a tall next year once our cap is sorted. Not every need has to be solved via the draft.
Yet we have been fixing the spine every year for the past 10 and still never have

collingwood.jpg

WHO THEY PICKED

AFL Draft

19. Ed Allan
28. Jakob Ryan
48. Joe Richards

What the club says:

"He (Ryan) was close (to being taken on Monday night), until Ed was there. He was one of three or four players that were there and we were really confident, we went into today with about six or seven players. We were hopeful, we weren't confident, but it was really pleasing. He plays that sort of Nick Haynes-type role, there was a lot of interest in that pick which would suggest there was a lot of interest in Jakob." - Collingwood national recruiting manager Derek Hine

never understood the fascination of comparing a kid to a star AFL player. it's a mistake. just say he's an intercept marker.

Most of those guys were actually recruited into the club as key backs ie, McLarty, Mihochek, Keane and Kelly. Some aren’t even keys, ie Wilson and Johnson.

The fact that we targeted guys like Krueger and Cameron via trade after fairly ordinary exposed form, rather than take a punt on speculative high ceiling key forwards in this (& previous drafts), only serves to illustrate the problem IMO.

McLarty and Kelly played predominantly forward at u18s unless I’m mistaken, both started there with us. Checkers had VFL history both forward and back. Keane was a complete unknown. Johnson was playing CHF at SANFL level and is taller than Checkers so he’s certainly in the discussion as a key forward to a side that’s used JDG and others in the role. Wilson same height as Checkers.

Based on that, I’m more than happy with my speccy key forward call on all of them.

That we’ve decided to back Cameron and Kreuger in over adding further speccy forwards indicates

1. How we ranked the available speccy forwards; and
2. The reality that you can only carry so many talls on a list without impacting development opportunity for all of them.

McLarty and Kelly played predominantly forward at u18s unless I’m mistaken, both started there with us. Checkers had VFL history both forward and back. Keane was a complete unknown. Johnson was playing CHF at SANFL level and is taller than Checkers so he’s certainly in the discussion as a key forward to a side that’s used JDG and others in the role. Wilson same height as Checkers.

Based on that, I’m more than happy with my speccy key forward call on all of them.

That we’ve decided to back Cameron and Kreuger in over adding further speccy forwards indicates

2. The reality that you can only carry so many talls on a list without impacting development opportunity for all of them.
In kelly's top level in U18, he played as a defender. He may have played forward as a bottom ager, I'm not sure.

McLarty and Kelly played predominantly forward at u18s unless I’m mistaken. Checkers had VFL history both forward and back. Keane was a complete unknown. Johnson was playing CHF at SANFL level and is taller than Checkers so he’s certainly in the discussion as a key forward to a side that’s used JDG and others in the role. Wilson same height as Checkers.

Nah, McLarty was recruited as a key back after playing exclusively that role in the 18’s. He was tried forward in his second season with us. Same with Kelly (who was shifted forward in his first due to our injuries).

Pretty sure Mihochek had never really played forward prior to the shift by us. Mihochek has said as much in interviews.

In my view also just because a player scrapes into low key forward height, it doesn’t make them one.

Nah, McLarty was recruited as a key back after playing exclusively that role in the 18’s. He was tried forward in his second season with us. Same with Kelly.

Pretty sure Mihochek had never really played forward prior to the shift by us. Mihochek has said as much in interviews.

In my view also just because a player scrapes into low key forward height, it doesn’t make them one.

Stand corrected on Kelly and McLarty at u18 but Kelly definitely started forward when he arrived. Checkers definitely played forward at VFL.

Just because a player just scapes into low key forward height doesn’t exclude their capacity to be one.

North has had a really good draft. Sure they had high picks, but players like Sheezal and George are going to be fun to watch for their supporters. They need a bit of excitement.
And Brayden George is right up there for excitement and talent too, but slipped due to an ACL this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’ll let you know in a few years when hindsight is available.
The one most likely went at pick 1, but it's still a lottery.
McCartin, Boyd, Weideman & Schache are examples of high draft picks that didn't really work, although McCartin is now doing well in a different role & Boyd played a great GF.

In kelly's top level in U18, he played as a defender. He may have played forward as a bottom ager, I'm not sure.
Nah first part of his last year he played forward and looked hopeless , the second half played back and that saved him, went well in the back line in his draft year

I have no issues with any individual picks taken. Allan, Ryan and Richards all look likely, have AFL traits that fit our playing style and have upside.

Having said that I reckon our recruiting team needs to have their heads read about not picking up a KPP. Are we consigned to never developing our own? I've given up hope that we'll even try and its frustrating.

In before the "but if we didn't rate any..." I believe there will prove to be an AFL standard KPP from somewhere in this draft that was available at our picks. The job is to identify them. We never do.

Last edited:
You can pick the eyes out of every draft of players who are not kpp that also don't make it.

Pick a late mid or flanker or small fwd/defender and the attitude is who cares they rarely make it.
But suggest to pick up a kpp after 15 and its supposedly a wasted pick.

I think the other thing people forget is development and opportunity once they're on the list. A club in the window like ours is more likely to give an opportunity to a flanker/small defender/forward in the best 22 as they can easily rotate out and be covered when the game is on the line. But you can't really hide a FB/FF or CHB/CHF. We'd be pretty worried if Kelly/McMahon was given a go in the best 22 in place of Moore/Howe last year.

It's different for a club that's at the bottom rebuilding which we were expected to be after 2020/2021. You can then afford to have some speccy talls like McMahon that you give opportunities to as you're not expected to win games. And if they're not given opportunities they're most at risk of delisting.

Places on our list are at a premium right now. It's hard to pick who will most likely be delisted next year. Those people crying for us to pick a speccy late tall in the draft are probably also those people that are pushing for Will Kelly to be delisted just after he's had his early years of development. If you're going to pick a speccy late tall, you need to expect that they're probably going to list clog for 4-5 years before you see results. Which might lend credence to our seeming preference to bypass speccy 18 year old NQR talls and target more mature age rookie talent like Mihocek/Johnson/Dean who have had their development list clogging years away in the state leagues.

Nah, McLarty was recruited as a key back after playing exclusively that role in the 18’s. He was tried forward in his second season with us. Same with Kelly (who was shifted forward in his first due to our injuries).

Mihocek and Johnson are definitely key forwards. They get their goals from marks. They're the same height as Curnow, Riewoldt, Darling etc. And they certainly play more like those key forwards than a medium forward like JDG who gets his goals bursting from stoppages/midfield or a small forward like Ginnivan crumbing the forwardline contests. How can you classify them as anything other than key forwards?

How to be recruited to Collingwood if you’re a Key forward

* you’re not
* if you’re really keen then on your draft profile describe yourself as a Mid/forward or as Versatile.
  • Drop your height by 10cms
  • say you come from SA
  • if you’re a vic tell them an ex pies player was your coach
  • never I repeat never stand up if Dekka is interviewing you, always stay seated.
  • finally find a random ex pies player who played 100 games, get them to adopt you so you can go father/son.

Good luck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back